12 inch Square of the Month CAL 2011 Rebooted

Crafty Witch

sHi everyone!

Round about December 2010, Twinklesnow started a Square of the Month CAL which featured two 12" squares/month plus occasional optional bonus squares. At the end of 2011, the squares are to be assembled into an afghan. Unfortunately, she appears to have dropped off the board in March, presumably due to medical issues.

Anyway, I've volunteered to keep the CAL going and I'm starting a new thread so I can edit the first post to update it with each month's new squares.

Bonus Squares:

SmoothFox's Avant-Garde Square

Double Framed Lace

SmoothFox's Heart Square

Dragonflies Around (Intended for summer but someone started it early, so I'm adding it to the bonus squares.)

Offset Shells

Butterfly Garden

December 2010 Squares:

Square 1 - Bright and Cheery Square

Square 2- Mum's the Word

January 2011 Squares:

Square 1 -Victorian Dream

Square 2 -Dutch Square

February 2011 Squares:

Square 1- Pineapple Blossom

Square 2- Hearts Within

Valentine Bonus Squares:

Happy Hearts

Stacked Hearts

March 2011 Squares:

Square 1- Majesty

Square 2 - Simple YoYo Square

Alternate Square 2 - 16 Circles Square

Included for Dragonpuck who was sick of doing yoyos, but anyone who wants to can do this square instead of or in addition to the YoYo Square. Yes, those appear to be two different links to the same pattern.

April 2011 Squares:

Square 1 - Frilly Flowers

Square 2 - Odyssey

May 2011 Squares:

Square 1 - Eye of the Beholder\

Square 2 - Hint of Spring

Mother's Day Bonus Square:

Blooming Granny Square

Memorial Day Bonus square:

Shield of Honor Version 2

June 2011 Squares:

Square 1- Chained Compass

Square 2 - Lacy Sun

Father's Day Bonus Squares:

Groovy Loops

Basics Ripple Sampler Square

July Squares:

Square 1- Pride Square

Square 2 - Cross My Heart

August Squares:

Square 1 - Double Treble Burst

Square 2 - Southwest jewel

September Squares:

Square 1 - Leamon Square

Square 2 - Kata Square

Labor Day Bonus Square:

Sunny Skies

Patriot's Day (9/11) Bonus Square:

I Love the USA 2

October Squares:

Autumn Warmth

In Remembrance Awareness Square

Halloween/Samhain Bonus squares:

Autumn Clusters

Cat's Claw

November Squares:

Basket of Berries

Yarn Clouds

Veteran's/Remembrance/Armistice Day Bonus Square:

Remember Me

Thanksgiving Bonus Square:

Turkey Square

December Squares:

Ice Cave

Merrian's Granny Square

Winter Holiday Squares

Thankful Stitches

Wings of Hope

I loves me some anchor text, I do. :yes

If people have suggestions for squares for the upcoming months, please forward links to me at craftywitch AT craftywitchscottage.com and include "Crochetville SOTM" in the subject header so I don't delete it as spam. I don't guarantee that I'll use them, but it's nice to have a pool to choose from. :hook

So, who here is still working on the CAL or wants to join now? :hi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking about this CAL the other day! Glad to see it started again. I'm a bit behind....when I seen the Yo-Yo squares I didn't do any but I've printed off the April ones and will get back to working on this again.

Thank you for taking it over!!! :hug

i was at joann's earlier today and they had a book on the 16 circle square, and they were calling it a yoyo, not a catherine wheel. had a few variations, the in a square, straight rows, and a v-pattern for a shawl; that i remember. probably like a few that have variations of, or the american/british versions, etc.

I am going to try the May squares. I was trying to practice on several of the previous months squares, but had quite a bit of trouble. I'm hoping if I start them now while others are doing them, I can get some help if necessary. I thought I knew how to read a pattern, but my recent attempts to do these squares makes me think I am not so sure! Wish me luck.

Owlvamp: I went to some effort to find squares that I thought were interesting and pretty.

Serene Stitcher: Never discount the possibility that the designer screwed up. At least one of the patterns I found hasn't been error checked, and I think I found a mistake in the Odyssey Square. The correct counts come out a bit weird though, notably in round 9.

Anyway, I've put up a square for Mother's Day. It's the Blooming Granny Square from MoCrochet. Enjoy.

I'm still looking for suggestions for Memorial Day. If you don't want to email me, I do take PMs.

• 3 weeks later...

Dusts off thread. Looks around. Anybody here? I finally finished the Odyssey square. I modified it a bit to smooth out the transition from circle to square, and did the last round in dc because the square would've been too small otherwise.

Anybody else making progress on their squares?

post-11383-135897662036_thumb.jpg

I'm brand spankin' new to the board, but I'd like to participate in this CAL... I have a question though... do I make one square of each and then assemble the afghan or is it ok to pick and choose?

I'm putting up two squares for each month, plus the occasional bonus square. If you want to do a 12 square afghan, I'd say pick one from each month to work on and ignore the bonus squares. If you want to do something bigger, do all of the monthlies, and any bonuses you feel like adding. The December 2010 squares are optional. I'm thinking that I'm going to do a 24 square afghan (4x6) and maybe four extra squares to make a pocket, so I'll have an extra large pillowghan (they're usually 3x4). I need to get caught up on the monthlies first though.

Okay, I found something for Memorial Day. Of course, right after that, someone emailed me a couple of suggestions. I figure I'll save them for some other appropriate occasion like the Fourth of July, Labor Day or September 11.

Anyway, the Memorial Day bonus square is Shield of Honor version 2. I'm posting it early so people have the entire Memorial Day weekend to work on it.

Time for the June Squares:

Chained Compass

Lacy Sun

Now, does anyone want me to put up a square or two for Flag Day (June 14)?

I'm planning on putting up a square or two designed by guys for Father's Day. Anybody got a pointer to a square by someone other than Drew Emborsky? I've already picked one out by him and I'd like showcase another male designer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as it happens nobody asked for any squares for Flag Day, so I didn't put any up. That means I put up two squares for Father's Day.

Okay as promised, for Father's Day, squares designed by guys:

From Crochet Dude Drew Emborsky: Groovy Loops

From Cay Litchfield (suggested by Dragonracer3): a Basic Ripple Sampler Square.

I think the second one will need some adjustments to actually be square, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

:D:D:D:D :hook:hook:hook [ATTACH]40301[/ATTACH][ATTACH]40302[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]40303[/ATTACH][ATTACH]40304[/ATTACH][ATTACH]40305[/ATTACH]

love the pics, dragonracer.

I think I would like to join in on this one. I have been making hats, scarves, and mittens, and I am tired of them. Doing squares sounds like some variety, count me in.

Call me a Janey-Come-Lately but I just stumbled into this ongoing CAL and instead of following silently, I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to Crafty Witch for taking on this project, catching it up and moving on smartly! Lots of good patterns in here and the year is only half way through! I probably won't catch up with every one, but will save all of the patterns for sure and you never know when I will need them. Someone is always needing a square here or there and with a year's worth to pull from, I'm sure to be able to help out. Thanks again -- very nice of you to take over the helm!

Archived