New from the Jimbo research lab

In a discussion group in Ravelry, and from a query by a customer in Europe, I started wondering if there was such a thing as a thread Nostepenne. I also had been wondering if a Noste could be improved by making the spindle part rotatable relative to the handle. This is the result: a Thread Nostepenne with a rotatable spindle. You can hold the handle stationary in your palm and turn the spindle with thumb and forefinger using the flange as you see in the picture.

So now I'm wondering if this thing is just a spin in the dark. I know it's the way to make center pull balls by winding and turning the Noste, and the thing works, but sheesh.. it took the good part of a day to make the thing. I tried it and it works... but is it too much adoo about not much of a problem.

Conclusion: Its a nice way for a discarded branch from an apricot tree and another from a maple to show off their purty grain. But as a practical tool? Not sure. What do YOU think??

post-3105-135897642516_thumb.jpg

It is indeed purty...

I've actually never used one, but it seems to me having it spin would make it harder to wrap the yarn/thread in a figure 8 around the stick.

I think most users of nostepinnes are spinners of wool, or at least using wool, which sort of sticks to itself (fibery wise). Thread is usually mercerized cotton, or rayon, or linen, even silk, slippery stuff. I think a hollow ball of thread, pulled from the center, would collapse. Most purchased thread is wrapped around a cardboard core and pulled from the outside.

I think what would be more handy, and I've seen them here, is a thread ball holder - like a mini paper towel holder, simply a base with an upright dowel, to keep the thread ball from bouncing around and rolling under the couch. Would be easier to make, show off your purty wood, and (I think) generate more interest with the threadies. Actually, for this use, spin would be a good thing.

I have a noste from Jimbo but I have to admit - I use my mechanical ball winder. I never did get the hang of using a noste and all my little balls came out looking like footballs instead of cakes.

On a practical note - just because they both make a center pull cake doesn't mean I have to pull from the center. All of them will fall in on themselves eventually. I just work from the outside.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I just don't see it as being a practical thing. It's very pretty, yes, and I love your hooks...........but this? Not so much........sorry!

I really do adore you!

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I just don't see it as being a practical thing. It's very pretty, yes, and I love your hooks...........but this? Not so much........sorry!

I really do adore you!

That's ok (sniff), I couldn't really appreciate how the thing would work until I made one, and even then there was a question in my little mind about whether it was practical to use. It certainly wasn't practical to make.. took WAY too long.

So I'll just duct tape my heart back together and move on....

heh.... seriously I REALLY appreciate your candor, Grandmalolly!

Oh, my poor Jimbo.

The whole point to it is that it's for winding into balls or cakes with a center pull. It's much older than any of the mechanical winders. There are people out that that can wind a noste just as fast as a mechanical winder. I'm not one of them.

Sorry Jimbo my love but I have to agree with grandmalolly. It is very pretty but I think it is more work for you to make then there would be a demand for it. However, I do agree there would be a demand for thread ball holders. I have one I got from a wonderful c'ville lady that is made from PVC. Not very pretty but it does the job. I would love to see some nice thread and cone holders that where wooden. I think you would have a much better demand for those.

Very pretty Jimbo!!! I bought an old nostepenne from a garage sale once quite a while ago. They're a neat looking tool. I attempted to use it once but failed epically.

I have to second the call for some cone holders. I use peaches and creme on the cone quite often and it ends up on the floor and it just bugs me to see it there. If there was a way for you to make a cone holder that was built on a lazy susan type of design I think there would definitely be a market for it. It would make it possible for a person to comfortably have there cones in front of them on there work area instead of on the floor with all kinds of nasty little dust bunnies and stuff.

Julee

Ok so this holder thingie has me interested in going back to the lab. Please if you would, give me an idea of dimensions. I'm thinking the basic deal would be a base and an upright dowel affixed to the base and extending upward a distance a little taller than the yarn ball size. I'm assuming the ball will easily turn on the dowel if it's smooth enough.

So what I need from YOU is your best guess for a universally usable:

Dowel diameter?

Dowel height above base?

Any other data/suggestions/ideas to take to the lab/garage?

Thanks!!

Jimbo

Brilliant! I'll do that. But tell me from your experience (of which I have NONE), do you think the yarn would come off better if the dowel holder would rotate like the post on a record turntable?

Bytheway, I wound a ball on that Noste I made last night. Came out good, but it was cotton yarn. I think you're right about the thread being too slick and probably too fine for Noste work.

If you make the dowel so that the cone is snug then a lazy susan would work. If you make it so that it's loose it'll spin on it's own.

The thread holders that I've seen so far (believe it or not) are usually made from toilet paper holders.

Brilliant! I'll do that. But tell me from your experience (of which I have NONE), do you think the yarn would come off better if the dowel holder would rotate like the post on a record turntable?

Bytheway, I wound a ball on that Noste I made last night. Came out good, but it was cotton yarn. I think you're right about the thread being too slick and probably too fine for Noste work.

There is (and has been for about 10 years I am sure of) a patented device similar to what you are describing which, if I remember correctly is/was initially developed for the studio and home machine knitting market and then a version was presented at Maryland Sheep & Wool for "others".

Which really proves, yet again, that while there are great ideas, it is really hard to find something really really different <G>

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived