Problem beads

Katchkan

Going to kick off this new Forum with a warning. I have bought a lot of the color lined beads to use in my creations. The only problem is if you wash them the color may change of just disappear. Very fustrating when you have worked so hard on something and tried to get your colors just right. and Boom it is disaster.

Always check that your bead is color fast if it is going to be used in anything that will be washed. I string a few, tie it off and soak them in the solution I would be washing the item in.

I have also had problems with some of the luster beads.

Any one else have beads we need to look out for.

I always hand wash everything.I have found I can get away with a very mild solution of dishsoap and warm water. Not dishwashing soap but dish soap, Such as a Joy. If in doubt test. I watched some lovely gold beads become lovely silver beads one day. Great If I wanted silver. Not so great otherwise.

Kathy, I think you can still use the beads that lost their color. Just wash them again completely then you can use them again to give your crocheted piece texture.......just me being practical......:lol

Personally, I try to avoid using silver-lined ones as they tarnish. I like the way they shine when light touches them though.

Personally, I try to avoid using silver-lined ones as they tarnish. I like the way they shine when light touches them though.

They do? None of mine have...and everything else around here does, it seems!

I've had slight problems with beads not keeping their color at times...and why does it always have to be with pink beads? I love pink!

I bought some metallic colored beads that lost their metallic coating the first time the item was cleaned. They were pretty...but pretty ugly after that! Luckily they were used on a piece that was just for me...I would have hated to give those things to someone and then have that happen.

Some beads, (I cannot remember what kind they were) require a vinegar bath to "set" the colors.

I don't remember the specifics but you SHOULD be able to google for it.

Thanks guys, you helped me avoid a crochet-tastrophe ;)

I bought some beautiful fushia pink beads, they looked as though they were made from fushia coloured glass.

I gave a couple of them, a gentle hand wash and all the colour came off :eek

They were for a pair of handwarmers, so I'm glad I gave them a check other wise I'd have ended up with clear beads on white crochet. Not really the edge I was aiming for :P

I can't believe it, the colour looked like solid glass...

That's true about losing color from some beads, I sewed beads onto a denim shirt, I picked just the right pink and blue ones that I wanted and after I washed the shirt I ended up with clear beads......It was so disappointing that I don't think I've worn the shirt since.......anyway, I agree with testing the beads before using them on any project.......it's up there with testing gauge before starting an important project......then again I don't test gauge either:eek

I am so glad that we were able to avoid a crochet-tastrophe. ;) It isn't a fun lesson to learn the hard way like Maria did. :( Beads don't come with laundry labels so we just have to rely on a quick test to test for colorfastness. :hook

• 6 months later...

Archived