First attempt at mittens

LuvMyAngels

With 4 girls between 5 and 12 always looking over my shoulder while I crochet, I usually stick to projects that dont require a whole lot of concentration...scrunchies mostly. So far this year the girls have lost a record number of gloves/mittens so I figured I'd try to crochet some so I could add a coat string and reduce the numbers that walk away.

My 5 year old chose cherry red for hers and snagged the finished product before I got a chance to take pictures.

post-27802-135897603098_thumb.jpg

After posting this picture on FB my step mom called and said she wants me to make her a pair. I had no idea what to get her for Christmas this year before that

Awesome glove!! My granddaughters are forever losing their gloves. I usually buy them the "cheapies" from Wal-Mart. I've been tempted to "make" them some gloves, but I'm afraid that all the hard work "I" would put into making them......they would lose those too!!:lol :lol Even I as old as I am, sometimes lose one.......just yesterday, I was at a store looking for something, I went to put my gloves back on.........I only had one.....so I had to backtrack my steps.........found it!!:blush :blush :lol

• 2 weeks later...

For the little ones I'll be adding a coat string to their mittens just to make it a bit more difficult for them to lose them. If they disappear I hope its someone that truly needs them. It wouldnt be the first item Ive made that walked away on a playground.

My 5 year old absolutely loves these mittens and says they keep her hands warm even with the sub zero wind chills we've had here lately (or when she "accidentally" falls in the snow).

I've been searching for a mitten pattern for a 2 1/2 year old. I love yours!!! Is it your own pattern or can you share a link? Great job and they do look warm. :hook

That is a beautiful mitten! My mom knits mittens throughout the year and drops off a big bag at the Salvation Army when the weather starts to turn, and I wanted to do the same only in crochet but haven't found a pattern I liked. Thank you!

Your mittens are great, thanks for the link. Wish I had someone to make them for.

Elementary schools often appreciate donations. They turn around and give them to the kids that show up without (or lose them on the playground like my girls) when the weather is bad.

There's also women/childrens shelters & homeless shelters. We do "coat drives" in the fall here that benefit the local kids who would otherwise go without warm winter gear. I believe Bev also has links on her site for different charities to send mittens to...I havent looked into that at all at this point due to the number of local places I can drop them off (elementary & preschool are in my 2011 plan)

Awesome glove!! My granddaughters are forever losing their gloves. I usually buy them the "cheapies" from Wal-Mart. I've been tempted to "make" them some gloves, but I'm afraid that all the hard work "I" would put into making them......they would lose those too!!:lol :lol Even I as old as I am, sometimes lose one.......just yesterday, I was at a store looking for something, I went to put my gloves back on.........I only had one.....so I had to backtrack my steps.........found it!!:blush :blush :lol

i buy the cheapies from walmart to for my son, then i attach the same color yarn chain a long chain attach to other one and run it through his jacket lol

I wish i had time to make him some, but i fear my house would suffer if i crocheted as much as i wanted to.

To the OP

LOVE LOVE those mittens! My son actually wants mittens, ALTHOUGH i dont know why lol i would have thought he hated them.

I did make him a "bumble bee" scarf to go with his bumble bee hat and bumble bee gloves (from transfomers)

Archived