Crochet Christmas Gifts

Okay, everybody! It's that time of year again....:sheepxmas:santa

Money is SSooo tight this year and gifts are going to be hard to give. But I want to make some things for some special friends and family. I'm afraid instead of appreciating these things they may think of them as "cheap". Which we :crocheting definitely KNOW better!!

What are some of your experiences, and what reactions do you get? Also, what kind of gifts do you make for who?

I am making a couple scarves for my 10 yr old DD's :stocking!

Everyone i give handmade gifts too appreciates the hard work i do. I try to make something "personal" for each person...their favorite color, favorite pastime, favorite sport or team. For example I have made crinoline girls for many family members...for my sister a patriotic one since her husband was in Iraq, a girl with roses for my grandmother, and christmas ones for the rest of them...all framed in dollar store frames and backed with cardstock for scrapbooking. For the men...well i usually made family gifts for my siblings and their spouses.

The things I have made for gifts are very well received.

Depending on what I'm making like potholders and scrubbies, I like to make sure they match the kitchen of the person I'm giving to. If I'm making something like thread crochet cross bookmarks I will make in the persons favorite color. When making afghans I try to use the persons favorite colors and ones that will match (their living room or bed room) if possible.

Plus, I think the pattern makes all the difference. For instance I have searched for free potholder patterns on line and have found tons of them... most of which I would not make for myself, let alone as a gift for someone else.

I hope that helps and sorry if it didn't lol :hook

I have had happy responses from most of the recipients of crochet gifts I have made. My two little nieces were astounded that I would take the time to make them something rather than just go to the store and buy something. The oldest was about 7 when I gave them round ripple blankets and she said that herself without any prompting. They call them their flower blankets and take them on every trip they go on. They also loved the animal purses I made them for their birthdays one year. They will be receiving hats from me this year and I know they will love them, too. My nephew gives me computer printouts of things he wants me to turn into graph ghans for him.

I've given bunny ami's and matching round ripples several times as shower gifts and all the guests made complementary comments as well as the recipients.

My sister picks out pattern books for me when she likes items in them (and wants me to make them for her :) ). Here's an ami that I gave one my nieces. She was thrilled that her new bunny had a new friend.

Then I've had people tell me that a doily is very nice with as little interest and enthusiasm as if I gave them a dollar item so it does depend on the person.

post-28692-135897594941_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your input! you all three mentioned something I thought was pretty important, too. Trying to match the gift to the person recieving it! So glad that all of you have had such postive reinforcement. :) I guess it's that I've only given away 5 afghans to 5 different people and all 5 were seen later in places that let me know they didnt' care. 1 was used as "an old blanket" for their husband to work under the car on, and one was thrown out in a dog pen in the back yard for their dogs-- which was in shreds when I saw it. I never said anything but said I'd never take the time to make them something again. So I guess I'm just a little leary of putting myself out there! :lol

I have had happy responses from most of the recipients of crochet gifts I have made. My two little nieces were astounded that I would take the time to make them something rather than just go to the store and buy something. The oldest was about 7 when I gave them round ripple blankets and she said that herself without any prompting. They call them their flower blankets and take them on every trip they go on. They also loved the animal purses I made them for their birthdays one year. They will be receiving hats from me this year and I know they will love them, too. My nephew gives me computer printouts of things he wants me to turn into graph ghans for him.

I've given bunny ami's and matching round ripples several times as shower gifts and all the guests made complementary comments as well as the recipients.

My sister picks out pattern books for me when she likes items in them (and wants me to make them for her :) ). Here's an ami that I gave one my nieces. She was thrilled that her new bunny had a new friend.

Then I've had people tell me that a doily is very nice with as little interest and enthusiasm as if I gave them a dollar item so it does depend on the person.

This is very cute, BTW!!!

I have made afghans as gifts; although, as you know, they are time consuming (so I usually start making them around Spring/Summer). I have also made thread snowflake ornaments for those I thought would like them. To me, it's about who I think would appreciate what. That determines what I make them (if anything).

A couple more ideas may be making other Christmas ornaments or scented sachets. (Just off the top of my head.) ... If I think of others, I'll come back and post.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you all for your input! you all three mentioned something I thought was pretty important, too. Trying to match the gift to the person recieving it! So glad that all of you have had such postive reinforcement. :) I guess it's that I've only given away 5 afghans to 5 different people and all 5 were seen later in places that let me know they didnt' care. 1 was used as "an old blanket" for their husband to work under the car on, and one was thrown out in a dog pen in the back yard for their dogs-- which was in shreds when I saw it. I never said anything but said I'd never take the time to make them something again. So I guess I'm just a little leary of putting myself out there! :lol

OMG I would be so mad and feel so insulted if someone did that to me. I guess you have to be careful about who you give your handmade gifts to. Some people really appreciate the time and effort you put into making things and love what you give them no matter what it is. Others just toss it to the side like it means nothing :thair

Over the last few years the majority of my Christmas gifts have been handmade using crochet, sewing, embroidery or other crafts. Mostly the gifts have been appreciated and some are even cherished. I don't get upset any more if the recipient isn't "thrilled" with the gift because when I used to "buy" gifts, often they weren't appreciated either by certain individuals.

This year I have made the following as gifts:

a camo rag rug made from flannel strips to be used as a door mat

crocheted lace edged bread towels

crocheted lace edged dish drying towels

rectangular filet doily done in Christmas red

triangular shawl made from Joann Fabrics' Sensations yarn

a double layered flannel blanket

three quilted needle cases

a "petal apron" done in Autumn colors

assorted round doilies

three crocheted extra long fashion scarves

I'm just about finished with gift making and will start in on creating Christmas cards soon.

I find that the people I give gifts to really do like em. I always make something for the girls at work, this year I made snowman tp covers for the girls at work. As for my family, I make new hat/scarf sets for everyone, and something snowman related for my mom every year. I also choose one family member and make them an afghan.

I got a wonderful compliment when I recieved an email from my sister with a link to a hat all three of her kids wanted me to make for them.

(I am taking it as a compliment ... eventhough I know my sister simply wanted the hats without having to buy them )

post-23494-13589759502_thumb.jpg

It can be hard to do but I think they're right about choosing just the right item for someone. Something they can't just dismiss. Like a hat made in their school or team colors instead of a hat you think they'd look good in. (I'd be horrified to see my afghans used the way yours were!)

When I first started crocheting, I did it for myself because I love love love afghans. I didn't think people would want what I made. I did make a special one for my mom, then I got alot of "can you make me one to?" haha I have the very first one I made, and one I made for DH, but every single other ghan or baby blanket has been givien away. Now, my mom buys me yarn to make gifts for her friends, and I get suggestions for things others want. I am flattered that people would want something I made. I am sorry yours where used so horribly . . . that would make me sad as well. Just keep in mind who loves what you do, and gift accordingly :)

Thank you everybody for your input! I think some bad experiences made me a little juvious, but there are some that appreciate our work and some who won't. But I realize now that doesn't mean the work was still not special. When we give in love, if it's not recieved, doesn't mean the love is still not there. ;)

Archived