Ravelry rant...problem resolved

Yarnluver

I discovered Ravelry through this site. I have recently been discovering all of the wonderful online yarn and crochet sites and I am happy to have found this site and Ravelry.

What I enjoy about Ravelry is the pattern section and being able to add them to Favorites or Queue. I also enjoy that you can see what other people have done with patterns. I love to crochet but I am not very creative! I would never be able to write my own pattern and I at times have difficulty putting colors together so this is very useful for me.

I have to agree with some people here in regards to the forums. But I take what I can use and leave the rest. At first I was rather put off by what I perceived to be a very condescending and pretentious tone of some posters in regards to yarn usage and difficulty of projects. Also I kind of got the feeling that the knitters felt superior to crocheters? But again it was my perspective and I could be way off.

So that's my two cents!

Boo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love ravelry for the patterns and the ideas, keeping all my projects in order, and a nice orderly list of what I've made (especially when I want to share with a friend), the date, and why I liked or hated the project. lol

Crochetville (which I just joined but have been directed to many times by searches for projects) is a totally different beast altogether. its a community of people who talk and communicate.

I'm a fan of both.

• 7 months later...

I tried loading one of my patterns for sale...I need to wait till my shoppe is up so ppl can go somewhere to buy the patterns...

I'm a web designer and I go on ravlery, but there is just something about the layout and the way the message boards are that just turn me off. I think it's the green they use.. but everytime i'm on that site i get tired and headachy...

I like Ravelry for the unique patterns they have. I find by using the site like Google I can find anything I want. I don't use the forum there as I can hardly keep up here at Crochetville with all the great subjects here. I also crochet and knit both for many many years. I like the photo's of things and colors that I have not thought of using and it gives me new idea's too. I also buy many patterns from there too. My first love is Crochetville.

TheChaoticCrafter;2302237

I'm a web designer and I go on ravlery' date=' but there is just something about the layout and the way the message boards are that just turn me off. I think it's the green they use.. but everytime i'm on that site i get tired and headachy...[/quote']

That's interesting, I feel the same if I've been on a while but put it down to concentrating on the patterns when I'm searching. I was looking for something earlier and have an awful headache now.

I love being able to see all the patterns in one place and pics of real items people have made but Crochetville is definitely the place for reading and chatting.

I agree that I do not see what the big deal is about Ravelry. But I guess it serves its purpose. I don't crochet many fancy or difficult patterns, so most of the patterns they have arent' for me anyway. Honestly, I've only found a couple of dishcloth patterns that I liked.

It serves its purpose and I suppose that's what counts for those who like Ravelry.

I'll take CROCHETVILLE !!!! :cheer:cheer:cheer

I love Ravelry for pattern search and to see how others have done patterns and the different products they use. The yarn search feature is priceless and very up to date,while still having info on many vintage yarns.

My account sat dormant for along time after registering. I am a curious type and got in there and looked in every nook and carny till I knew how to find what I wanted. Now it is one of my go to sites.

Ravelry is ok i guess. but I do prefer here. as I was here first and didnt know a thing about ravelry untile I joined a CAL and the pattern parts were posted thru Ravelry

I like to look at patterns on there. and the various versions of it. to get color combo idea's. I"ve not posted patterns there as I'm finding if i do make up something I'm to impatient to write it out, so all my afghans i've just "design" myself Lay on the beds or Chairs They were intended for with no pattern written lol.

I like each for different things. Ravelry is splendid for finding new patterns and seeing what others have done easily. I use it constantly for that kind of thing and I do enjoy some of the chatty features. People there are just as kind and helpful as here. But Crochetville is a more personal forum in my opinion, or maybe I just feel more comfortable here. To me Crochetville is easier to learn how to use and I enjoy the different sections, both those dedicated to things like techniques and those allowing us to just visit. It is not that Ravelry is unfriendly at all (quite the reverse, in fact). But Crochetville feels more like pulling up a chair with some girlfriends to talk crochet and have a cup of coffee or tea. :hug

ya know, I have been thinking about the Ravelry thing, too. I went there and felt "not at home". I also got the feeling that "knitters" are a bit above "crocheters". Now, I do think a lot of things look better knitted, which I tried and don't like to do. I just like to crochet and not worry about the snobbery, tyvm!

You guys here are so approachable and always welcome people and are willing to help even the beginners at any stage.

I will stay here!

:cheerSherry

I love ravelry! its so multi cultural :D I have literally learnt so much and expanded my crochet skills far beyond what i though they would be. I feel there is a place for everyone there.

every website is different and that's what makes them great!

Archived