Ravelry rant...problem resolved

Yarnluver

I seriously do NOT get what all the hype is about that site, I totally HATE how it works (or doesn't...), IMHO it's not easy to navigate and nothing is clear, I feel like I need to hire a detective in order to help me find out how to do anything there, so after registering there back in April I was going to delete my account but I just forgot about it.

Unfortunately, people had posted pics there of a pattern I once had here for free and recently I began getting messages here about it so I had to go back (quite a treat since I'd forgotten my username and all). When I was told I could sell my pattern through there, I thought that was the solution so I wrote "Tabitha", the person who "welcomed" me, and asked a few questions but the answers were far from simple. I was directed to a couple of "wikis", which would've been great if they worked as outlined. I only could get as far as entering info about the pattern but the rest of the instructions for uploading the pattern itself didn't work. I then thought of deleting the info so people wouldn't be misled into thinking the pattern was already available but, of course, it was too much to hope that deleting was going to be easy, I found NO way to do that either!

So I had to waste more of my time writing a message explaining what had happened, but seriously, if it weren't because of that pattern, which people even began writing me about there I would've been just as glad to never go back there.

Another reason why I took a dislike to Ravelry is that during my first visit I took time to visit some of the message boards and I couldn't believe the heights of snobbery of some of the people there who laughed at the story of a member who told about some woman at a LYS who said she couldn't afford certain types of yarn there, they thought is was laughable she'd find "those" expensive because they use much more costly imported yarns and would not set foot in certain common stores many of us frequent regularly. They also made a big deal of a store clerk not knowing a certain color-changing knitting technique, to the point of advising the OP to not go back to that store or complain to the owner... really... I felt they needed to get a life! My thoughts were that I did not want to be among such petty company... thank you!

I'm sure there's plenty of people here who "love" Ravelry, and I say to each their own, I mean no offense, but as far as I'm concerned from hearing so much about it I expected it to be much better than it is, and have to say that TO ME it's been nothing but a huge disappointment.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use ravelry strickly as a means to keep what patterns I like in one spot especially since I'm often on more than one computer, so to save them to my bookmarks would be more than frustrating to remember which computer! I have never had to use it as a designer as I just don't have the skills to design and my kudos to you!

I've not much ever gone to the boards (that is what I have crochetville for!) and now will not make much attempt to do so any farther than I already have.

I'm sorry you've not had a pleasant experience there. Hopefully someone here can help you with the uploading the pattern.

I don't use their message board, either. When I first signed up I did a little reading there and decided I didn't appreciate the language that was allowed.

Two things I like to use Ravelry for: searching for patterns and looking up a pattern I'm interested in to see the different versions people have made. I think it's nice to be able to see a variety of outcomes for the same pattern before starting it.

But Crochetville is definitely my message board preference! I'm sorry you had so much trouble with listing a pattern on Ravelry. Maybe somebody here could give you some tips.

I agree 100% with happy stitcher! That is soley what I use it for as well. It also gives me color ideas for the projects.

As for chatting, seeking help, sharing, or just plain cutting-up....CROHETVILLE all the way!

I use ravelry strickly as a means to keep what patterns I like in one spot especially since I'm often on more than one computer, so to save them to my bookmarks would be more than frustrating to remember which computer!

I use a flash drive for patterns. Can take from one computer to another, providing they have usb ports, and don't have to worry about them. Of course I have more than one drive because of quilting and machine embroidery, but have them all labled as to what is on them.

As to Ravelry, I keep forgetting I have an account there until someone wants to share a pattern they have over there :lol Then I have to remember user name and password I chose for there :eek I don't find it very user friendly.

I'm with the general concensus here :yes I like it to keep all my projects in one place and for patterns. When I first joined I looked over at the message boards and groups, but found it too difficult to navigate and too much going on I guess. Plus, after I finish my chatting here, I don't want to be chatting elsewhere too. I've made some great friends on here at the ville. I've never tried to design anything so haven't had any experience with that aspect :no

When it comes to posting information and uploading files, Ravelry works quite a bit differently than Crochetville does. It can take quite some getting used to. I don't post over there terribly often, so I sometimes have to relearn how to post links and photos and format text.

Every crochet and knitting site on the internet has its good points and its bad points. Some of a site's features will be loved by some people, and those same features will be hated or disliked by others. No site is going to be able to meet all needs of all people all the time. :)

I really don't want to see this thread become a Ravelry-bashing thread just for the sake of bashing and ranting. So far, everything is okay, but there's the potential for this to head south fairly easily. I guess I'd just like everyone to remember we have members here who love Ravelry and there are real people who work very hard to make Ravelry what it is.

If you want to share why Ravelry doesn't work well for you, that's okay. Instead of just stating what you don't like about it, maybe it would be helpful to say why whatever it is doesn't work for you, and share about whatever it is you've found that does work for you. Because what one person doesn't like about Ravelry (or Crochetville) may be what somebody else does like. And conversely, what one person likes about Ravelry may be what somebody else doesn't like.

So let's just try to keep some type of positive, helpful information in this thread, if we possibly can.

I must admit that I found Ravelry confusing at first (still have problems navigating around the site some times) but I do like the search options that they have for patterns. I also enjoy going to the site and checking out the newest patterns and occasionaly reading some of the messages boards. I agree that there is a lot of messages that are not to my liking and after reading a couple of posts, I get out of that tread.

I do prefer Crochetville over Ravelry. :yes

I can't tell you how long I had a Ravelry account before I figured out how to use it and that's only because my mother taught me! :eek It is so confusing, even with the tutorials online. However, once I did learn it I realized there are so many cool things about it! I love how everything is linked together as far as projects, patterns, and yarn. There have been a few times that I had a skein or two of a special yarn that I just had no idea what to do with and I looked it up and saw what people made with it.

I only belong to a few groups on Ravelry, but I don't really participate in them. In fact, rarely. Seriously though, there is a lot less censorship there, so people probably do step up on their soap boxes and say hurtful things. I can't say that I have never done the same, but when there are more rules we are more careful about what we say (like here on Crochetville). So, trust me that there are good and bad people in every forum, we are just lucky enough to not see it here, at least rarely. :manyheart

I too would be sort of ticked off about the yarn thing if they were being condiscending about it. You know, I like to spend the least amount possible on yarn-ok, within reason. Why pay more for something if it isn't truly better? I will spend the extra money for something special, usually never for myself. :lol $3-4 is what I typically spend per skein. Even at Michael's and other craft stores I find myself cringing at $6 skeins of yarn. :eek I know what it is to not have money, so the thought of spending more than $100 a pop at the LYS makes my stomach turn. Some people do it regularly and I am happy for them that they are able to do that, but sometimes they don't understand that not everyone has it like that. I wouldn't take the "yarn snob" thing personally, because there are plenty of self-proclaimed "yarn snobs" here too. :) It's just a matter of tact.

I admit I had problems uploading my photos to ravelry when I originally joined. I was able to figure it out by using a "help" section even though I had to use an alternate way to place my photos up. I agree with Amy that it has possitive and negative qualities. I enjoy using Ravelry in keeping track of my projects in my notebook:many of which are given away. Also, if I'm stuck on something, I almost always can find someone who completed the project and I can ask them for help. Ravelry is really helpful in these ways. Ravelry complements Crochetville in "my book".

As far as snobbery in the use of imported yarn over cheaper brands, I think that I would just laugh at anyone who looks down at cheaper brands. A local knit store actual had hanks of yarn that sold for $200 each. I questioned the clerk as to what exactly were they made of, gold? She retorted that they were from Italy and they were from some rare animal. I was in shock at the price, and I don't think anyone would spend that much for yarn. In any case, the store has since closed. In this economy, most people are thrifty and would never think to spend such a heightened amount no matter what the yarn is made from.

I LOVE Ravelry! There are lots of different groups. Maybe you just got in a bad one. I have not run across one that was snobby or looked down on anyone, thankfully. I belong to quite a few groups there but do not post much. I don't have time to keep up with them all. But I do like to drop in here and there and see what is new. I also have received a lot of help there, from finding a pattern I needed to finding someone willing to part with a back issue of Interweave Crochet.

I make sure to check in to Ravelry every couple of days just to see the new patterns posted. There is a wealth of info and patterns on the site. Sorry to hear it did not meet your needs but I am just as thankful for that site as this one.

I too really like Ravelry.

It is different in set up than most message boards. However it also has a super hands on tech that is always trying to improve the site and system. He's changed the upload system at least twice that I know of. Now it's as simple as uploading a photo from your computer as it is here.

It does take getting use to navigating around but once you do, you wonder what the fuss was all about.

There are groups for just about everything and anything. Some aren't very active or talkative while others have a lot going on.

I've said before, anyone that wants help learning their way around just let me know and I'll be glad to walk you through it. At least the parts I know. :)

Thanks for all the comments! :)

As I said before, I do not want to offend anyone who likes Ravelry but after two tries I really was feeling very frustrated about it and couldn't believe it was "just me", I've been participating in all types of forums and groups since '00 so it's not like I'm new to navigating through websites, besides, I'm the curious type and will click on even unlikely tabs when looking for something. Now I'm sure it was not just my perception as the majority who have posted so far agree that it's not very "user friendly". I'm sure it works better for those that joined early enough to "grow" with it, and as far as them working hard on it, well, every site requires a lot of work but if those that make it a delight to be there deserve more appreciation that those who do not, regardless of how "hard" they have worked or not.

I am in fact still feeling frustrated because when I went back there a while ago I was just directed to post my questions to a "help group"... errr, no thanks! The site should have instructions that are easy for all to understand, better yet, they should be easily accessible and clearly named tabs. I opened 3 different browser tabs for Ravelry so I could go back and forth to the help section and check and recheck every step but some way somehow something went wrong and it just should not be that hard. Had I known this I would've just opened a little Etsy shop and just given the link there, but since my intention is not of being a "serious designer" I thought it would be just fine to offer it through them and easier for the people who looked for it. Now I can't even delete the info I put in, I suppose now I need to read a couple more lengthy "wikis" to find out how to do that!

As far as "bashing", not my intention either. I wrote them pretty much what I've said here so it's not like I'm going behind anyone's back to state my opinion. I believe that the only way things can improve is by giving constructive "criticism" when appropriate.

I'm sorry you had such a difficult experience uploading your pattern to Ravelry. All of the wikis and help information for getting set up as a designer, creating a store, and uploading a pattern seem very straightforward and easy to find to me. Casey has provided lots of screenshots with detailed information about what things you need to enter, highlighted with colored arrows. It seems like it should be a very easy process, but I've only established myself as a designer; I haven't created a store or uploaded any patterns to test whether the process really does work as Casey has described it in the wikis.

Perhaps this is just an issue of the fact that different people interpret instructions in different ways. What seems to make perfect sense to one person may make no sense at all for someone who has a different learning style or processes information differently. (Sort of like, I prefer directions in a written format, but my husband prefers a map. Words vs. pictures.)

It is IMPOSSIBLE to write instructions for a detailed procedure that will work for every single person. (Setting up a store is very detailed, because of all the data that Casey has to capture to make everything work behind the scenes. All sorts of accounting information must be captured and tracked. It could never be a simple one-step procedure. I doubt that setting up an Etsy store would be any easier.) This is why you were directed to a help group. Ravelry is huge. Even if only a tiny percentage of members have problems with his instructions, it is impossible for Casey himself to provide personal assistance to all those people because of everything else he has to do at Ravelry. However, the volunteers associated with the help group are perfectly capable of providing that assistance. (Sort of like Donna and I don't have time to help people find a specific pattern when they ask through the Contact Us form, and we refer them to asking on the forum.)

While I don't always remember how to do things at Ravelry, I don't think that means it isn't user-friendly. Casey developed the Ravelry software himself, so it doesn't work the way other forums do that are based on the same underlying software platform. I do agree that if you're not used to the way Ravelry works, it can seem difficult because it may be so different than what you're used to. But for those who ARE used to it, it ends up being VERY user-friendly. (Sort of like if you've been crocheting for years and are learning to knit: crochet seems super easy and knitting seems super hard. But once you learn to knit well, you wonder why you ever thought it was hard.)

One thing I will say for Ravelry is that because I hang out at a local and very busy LYS, the question always pops up about whether one is on Ravelry or not...and fortunately I am...at least this way, those I meet in the shop and swap usernames with, we can email each other (if I remember to check in at the site...) It's a common denominator for us...past that, well...it's got it's pluses and minuses...

Have to be careful with any message boards any where...even on this site...Golden Rule is usually very good to remember on line as in person.

All I want to say is I love Crochetville. You go on and there are all the posts, you read what you want. If you are looking you just go to forum and then you can pick and choice what you want. I belong to Ravelry because someone I am friends with here ask me to look at something there so I joined. Every now and then I go over and can't figure out where the posts are, where the groups are or anything. So I just look at patterns:lol

Thank goodness for the 'ville' and the wonderful people on here. I've made some great friends.

wait, ravelry has a forum? i only go there to check out patterns, I am not one for forums anyways but I like it hear, even though i hardly post I am always reading and checking out what you all are doing.

wait, ravelry has a forum? i only go there to check out patterns, I am not one for forums anyways but I like it hear, even though i hardly post I am always reading and checking out what you all are doing.

Yes, Ravelry has 6 main forums to which every single member belongs; there is no way to unsubscribe from them. When Ravelry was first started, these were pretty much anything-goes types of forums, because the Ravelry founders didn't realize that firm guidelines were needed to prevent chaos with a site as large as Ravelry quickly became. There are now general guidelines and firm rules in place (such as no adult language and no political or religious discussions at all in the main 6 forums----similar to here actually) and failure to follow them can result in 1) no longer being able to post in the main 6 forums and 2) in very rare severe cases when people simply refuse to following the guidelines, loss of your Ravelry account.

Members can also start their own forums (called groups over there), which can have somewhat more relaxed standards if they wish (such as allowing adult language or political/religious discussion/debate). There are huge numbers of forums. A few get a lot of traffic; others get much less or very little.

I belong to Ravelry and I enjoy reading it. I never even thought of comparing Ravelry to Crochetville, to me they are totally different and I enjoy both. Ravelry always has such great patterns and the pictures of finished items to drool over! I barely post on there, as with any board I belong to.

If you don't like it and can't figure it out why don't you just email 'the Tabitha person' again and ask her to remove it for you.

No one is forcing you to use Ravelry or even to go there. If you don't like it don't go. We are now allowed to advertise small business patterns here at the ville. If it's really this much of a headache and hassle for you I would suggest having it deleted from Ravelry, post it here at the ville and sell it at etsy.

BTW - if you have a problem with the Etsy instructions they'll refer you to a help group also. It's just the standard way of doing things. You're probably not the first person to have that problem and the fixes are just sitting there waiting to be read.

Etsy's not hard but it does have a learning curve like anything else.

I don't understand why you would have a problem with Ravelry because you didn't like what was said on a forum board. It's not Ravelry's opinion - it's just another person posting their opinions.

There are so many different things that you can do on Rav. You don't need to know how to use every single feature. Just find out the things that you do enjoy and stick with that. For me - I enjoy looking at the new posted patterns. I check it out every morning. That's all I do there. Or don't. No one says you ever HAVE to go back there again.

Yes, Ravelry has 6 main forums to which every single member belongs; there is no way to unsubscribe from them.

No longer true.

Just go to the rearrange tab, scroll to the bottom, and unclick the box next to the one or ones you no longer want to see.

You can also unclick the love, agree, disagree buttons so you don't have to see that people are disagreeing with you.

No longer true.

Just go to the rearrange tab, scroll to the bottom, and unclick the box next to the one or ones you no longer want to see.

You can also unclick the love, agree, disagree buttons so you don't have to see that people are disagreeing with you.

See, I told you all I don't know everything about Ravelry! :lol That is so cool! I knew you could create a special tab and move them all into that tab so you pretty much never had to see them. I didn't realize you could "unsub" from them. Although, really, I don't know why anybody would want to do that!

I joined Ravelry several months ago mainly because some here at the 'Ville link there for patterns and such. I've only been there a few times, so I've only scratched the surface of what is there.

I appreciate the differences of the sites...Crocheville is such a wonderful, friendly forum it's the first place I go for crochet!

Archived