Are bamboo hooks any good?

Criddy

I'm wanting to start doing Tunisian Crochet and I found this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290473350959&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) set of hooks on E-bay.

I have never used any form of wooden hook before and one of the lady's at my LYS yesterday said that bamboo was crap to crochet with. So I thought I would ask if anyone here has used it and can you please let me know weather you think they are good to work with or not?

I do understand it's also a lot about personal preference but if people here say they like using bamboo I will buy them and not be annoyed if I find I don't particularly like them.

Thanks guys :D

Bamboo is WONDERFUL. I wouldn't be crocheting today if it weren't for bamboo hooks. After two hand operations, I thought my hooking days were done. The bamboo are light and warm to the hand (I can't stand cold on the hand).

Like you said, it's a lot about personal preferences, but I do say give bamboo a try. If you hate them you can always sell them or gift them to someone who likes bamboo, but I bet if you try it you'll like it. Now, I have not tried Tunisian (didn't know there were bamboo hooks for it).

Bamboo is ALL i use!!! and I have a set of Dangle hooks just like those.. but my hooks are very long. and have a 40" flex tube...check out ebat user 8-seasonknitting. they have great hooks and they are where i have gotten All my dangle bamboo hooks from.

Thanks guys, I think I will get them next pay. Specially seeing as I can't find any Tunisian crochet hooks locally. I don't understand what the lady at Knit and Purl (my LYS) was talking about then. Because she said that bamboo would not hold up well for crocheting at all and that's why it was crap. I'm glad I asked you all instead of just taking her advice. I'll post after I get them to let you guys know what I think of them.

Bamboo is ALL i use!!! and I have a set of Dangle hooks just like those.. but my hooks are very long. and have a 40" flex tube...check out ebat user 8-seasonknitting. they have great hooks and they are where i have gotten All my dangle bamboo hooks from.

I had a look for that ebay name and I could not find it. Is it annoying at all to have a 40" long cable at the end of the hook if your doing something smaller?

Thanks guys, I think I will get them next pay. Specially seeing as I can't find any Tunisian crochet hooks locally. I don't understand what the lady at Knit and Purl (my LYS) was talking about then. Because she said that bamboo would not hold up well for crocheting at all and that's why it was crap. I'm glad I asked you all instead of just taking her advice. I'll post after I get them to let you guys know what I think of them.

I had a look for that ebay name and I could not find it. Is it annoying at all to have a 40" long cable at the end of the hook if your doing something smaller?

I found 8seasons-gifts.. that is her other shop where she sells jewlery stuff. but I emailed her and asked her for her crochet ebay name.. when she gets back tome i'll passs it on to you,

my bamboo hooks are several years old, and still as good as new. I LOVE them! They hold up fine for me. :) Wonder what kind of bamboo hook that lady had been using...

mabey she was using 2 twigs lol!! but Ive never seen bamboo hooks that were "flimsy"

mabey she was using 2 twigs lol!! but Ive never seen bamboo hooks that were "flimsy"

:sofunny twigs. :lol Wouldn't they break in the machining if they were that flimsy? :P

(I bought a set of plastic ones once, b/c they were cute. Now THOSE were flimsy. :P I think I still have the I hook left. no. DD has it. ;) )

I don't understand what the lady at Knit and Purl (my LYS) was talking about then. Because she said that bamboo would not hold up well for crocheting at all and that's why it was crap.

I have NO IDEA what she's talking about. bamboo is one of the hardest woods.

They do make short or normal sized hooks too.

Here's the google link for 'bamboo crochet hooks'

http://www.google.com/search?q=bamboo+crochet+hooks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I heard back from 8 seasons her ebay store is http://stores.ebay.co.uk/8seasonKnitting

that is her knitting and crochet hooks store :)

Thank you so much for doing that for me. I'm having a look through her store now and I can see I will be buying quite a few things from her. Thank you again :D

Thank you so much for doing that for me. I'm having a look through her store now and I can see I will be buying quite a few things from her. Thank you again :D

awsome glad i could help.. she is a very nice lady. and considering its comminfrom china she is very reasonable on shipping time. unless it's a hoiday week for them then she is sure to anounce it. :)

Archived