Oh how times have changed..

I just wanted to say that I am so suprised at how many young people...do not do these types of hand made crafts anymore. They're almost like lost works of art. There are a ton of people that do craft, but most of the ones I have seen are older people (which there is nothing wrong with that). I just get super offended when I someone seems me crocheting and they say 'my grandmother does that'. I give them the O.o look. I don't know if anyone else has any thoughts on this but, alot of the times when I'm crocheting on my breaks at work, I think about it.

(There are four people at my work our of like 30 or so, that knit/crochet. I am the youngest one. It just.....I'm just awe struck.)

I was on the bus the other day crocheting and the woman who sat next to me said that she has been crocheting since she was 8 and hadn't seen anyone crocheting at all in years and she was so happy to see that I was. She would have only been 35-40 max. It was really nice to have a conversation about crochet with a random stranger.

That being said though I have had heaps of comments as well that crochet is only for "old" people. It really annoys me, maybe that's the reason younger people don't want to learn is because they think they will be looked down upon for it?

I started crocheting when I was in my early 20's. Self taught from a book. Took to it like a duck to water.

I have several co-workers who crochet. We were all young once upon a time.

Makes me think it would be fun to teach a class to some young people to help the craft continue.

I'm proud to be one of the younger crocheters. My grandma taught me to crochet when I was 5 and I am now 22. Been crocheting for over 17 years. It's really something that I love to do and when ever I get a chance to tell others about it or teach someone new I take it. I would love for more people to experience the joy of crochet like I have.

Julee

I'm "young", ok early 30s, a crocheter and proud of it! :D I first learned in 4th grade, dropped it after being mocked, but returned to crochet during college. Never got any flak there. :D, I haven't quit since! Nor do I ever intend to. :) and now, DD...she was 5 when she learned to chain. We started trying the sc, but she was quickly frustrated...good time for a break. But she really wants to do it, so she'll get it. ( She wants to try a nifty-knitter loom too, so I'll have to use a coupon ;) )

I think there are more young crocheters than we know...I suspect that many simply don't ply the hook in public, for fear of mockery or disdain. JMHO

I have been crocheting since I was in my early teens. What amazes me is how many don't know what crochet even is. I am proud of what I do even though I have one (out of 4) sisters that says it is "impractical." The others always want my finished projects.

I will continue teaching young people and doing it myself so that it doesn't become a lost art. We hear so much about knitting clubs and not so much about crochet clubs.

Our local library has been offering knitting and crocheting classes to teens and preteens during the summer. It has really become a cool thing to do around here. But I agree that a lot of people see it as something for older ladies to do.

There are younger ones crocheting, I taught my DGD to crochet when she was about 6 and she has done it ever since, she just had a hernia operation and it kept her busy while she was recovering, she is 15 and has taught serveral of her friends, I tried to teach my DGS but he just couldn't get the hang of it, he is the same as as DGD..so there is hope for the younger generation.

Around here crafts are making a resurgence of sorts. I attended a quilt show recently and one of the members of the sponsoring guild told me that after almost 10 years without a new member, there were 10 new young women signing up within the last month. And, I just saw a notice in the paper for Fall handicraft classes and make and take sessions at a local church. It is scheduled for one day a week from September through December, I think. All sorts of handcrafts were being offered. YAY for crafters.

Also, the local parks department are now offering classes in crochet and scrapbooking. I sure hope the trend continues as I love to see what ideas new people bring with them. Sometimes my crafting gets stale and it's always a treat to pick other peoples' brains...LOL.

I wonder if the struggling economy plays a part in all this new interest??

I'm 21 almost 22. I picked crochet up a couple years ago as something to do with my hands for nerves. I learned all on my own from Youtube. My Gran doesn't crochet or knit but I have a great aunt that does even though I hardly know her.

I was just having this conversation with someone the other day about how younger people are taking to crochet. I think it is just fabulous! :) I love the fact that it is becoming more popular with the recent generations, hopefully the trend will continue on :)

I'm 35. Been crocheting for 10 years now. I learned after our 2nd baby was stillborn...I had a need to do SOMETHING with my hands, since my arms were empty....so an older lady in our church taught me, per my request! What an awesome gift to give someone---to teach them to crochet!!!

OH! And I should add, that I'm attempting to convert my friends one at a time. I've taught about 3 of them to crochet, and a couple others KNIT! We sure are a cute lil group, sitting there crocheting and knitting!!! ;-)

I am really excited to see how many had posted. I wasn't expecting that much of a response.

I hold a very high respect for other people that not only crochet, but knit and scrapbook and all kinds of other things. Anything that requires any type of crafting I appreciate.

I also am a self taught crocheter. I always saw all these cute things online that people have made, and I wanted to try making them too. It took my a good week just to get the basics down. How to sc and make circles and such. It was very frusterating because I have a comprehension 'issue' so I have to reread things about 6-8 times because understanding it. I did alot of googling and alot of YouTubing.

I have yet to have someone ask me to teach them out to crochet but I would love to.

In our area (upstate new york) we do have lots of fairs and such, but very few craft stores. They actually just opened up hobby lobby about two weeks ago! (the parking lot is always packed) We do have Joanne's Fabrics and Michael's as well.I know that they both offer classes. (we had an AC Moore's but they closed /sobes heavily)

I am very glad to see that there are so many other happy people out there that enjoy this craft/art as much as I do. (almost brings me to tears) I don't feel so alone anymore. :) So thank you guys ^-^

I am 28 and proudly posted my little mouse "pink steve" on Facebook when I'd made him and got lots of comments but some of the girls at work called me sad and an old lady for wanting to crochet and knit! I don't even remember why I thought of learning, about 3 weeks ago I hadn't given it a second thought, it wasn't until I saw all the cute amigurumi and little cupcakes and things to make that I really wanted to learn. I was quite hurt by their comments and I said that I wanted to do it because it keeps my hands busy and stops me raiding the fridge every 5 minutes when I am home alone some nights. My OH was really surprised with my first attempt and thought he was going to have to tell a white lie and pretend I'd done well but he actually likes it what I've made so far, especially the cone hat I made for the dog :)

I am glad there are some younger people doing it. and there are worse things that one can get into, such as drugs and alcohol!

Times have changed. I learned to knit when I was in grade school (centuries ago) and taught myself to crochet when I was in my 20's.

A few years ago (I was working in a small fabric store) I got a real shock when a woman asked me if I would sew a button on her husbands shirt. She didn't know how! I learned how to sew a button on when I was very young (around the time I was learning to tie my shoes).

i taught myself to crochet back in december...i knew how to chain from my grandmom but never got any further...though after a few trials and many errors i Finally got the hang of it and haven't looked back since! one of the reasons i wanted to learn because i was going to quite smoking soonish and wanted something to do with my hands...besides EAT!

I just turned 31 and am happy to belong to such a diverse group of people!

oh and another driver saw me crocheting last night and said "isn't that for old ladies?" he lost major brownie points for that...

When I pull out a project to kill time in waiting rooms and such I get the idea people are surprized to see it at all. I rarely see anyone else crochet or knit in public. They might say "Oh my granny taught me to do a chain when I was little".

I am 28 and proudly posted my little mouse "pink steve" on Facebook when I'd made him and got lots of comments but some of the girls at work called me sad and an old lady for wanting to crochet and knit! I don't even remember why I thought of learning, about 3 weeks ago I hadn't given it a second thought, it wasn't until I saw all the cute amigurumi and little cupcakes and things to make that I really wanted to learn. I was quite hurt by their comments and I said that I wanted to do it because it keeps my hands busy and stops me raiding the fridge every 5 minutes when I am home alone some nights. My OH was really surprised with my first attempt and thought he was going to have to tell a white lie and pretend I'd done well but he actually likes it what I've made so far, especially the cone hat I made for the dog :)

I am glad there are some younger people doing it. and there are worse things that one can get into, such as drugs and alcohol!

I completed agree w/ the last part. "there are worse things that one can get into, such as drugs and alcohol!"

Although there are many people out there to critisize you, there are 100 times more out there to support you in what you do. Keep doing what makes you happy girlfriend! /high fives!

When I pull out a project to kill time in waiting rooms and such I get the idea people are surprized to see it at all. I rarely see anyone else crochet or knit in public. They might say "Oh my granny taught me to do a chain when I was little".

Actually I think people think it is taboo to crochet/knit in public Society has made 'things' like that to be seen as odd or weird. Out of place.

Please don't let the "grandma" comments get to you...I agree that sometimes it seems like our handcrafts are fast becoming lost arts, but I can tell you that there is still a call for the crafts...I go to a yarn shop on Thursdays and while most of the people knit, the ages vary and there are some of us who crochet.

Away from the yarn shop, there are still people who cross stitch, and tat and sew (and not just quilting.) I agree that it seems like so few people work with their hands, but honestly, there are more people out there doing something...check out your local farmer's market sometime...there are woodworkers and jewerly makers, stain glass makers...whatever...

There is interest...

I was visiting my aunt a few weeks ago and she had her 5 year old grand daughter show off her first bit of embroidary and my aunt said, "We have to make sure to pass our skills on..."

The grandma comments, listen first to the tone of voice when said...is the speaker trying to be offensive...maybe yes, maybe no...if not, they just might be sharing a bit of information with you to try to make a connection.

Sure it was something my grandma did...and thank God, 'cause she was the one who taught me how to crochet. Ironically it was a neighbor kid 2 years older than me that taught me how to knit, on pencils with hair ribbon, sitting on the sidewalk on a sunny day when I was 9. I was in high school in Home Ec when I was taught properly how to sew...

Be an ambassador for your craft...if anyone takes an interest, even if it's in the negative, use that as an opportunity to educate.

I lived in Germany for almost a decade, where crocheting was viewed mainly as something one did with crocheted thread for the most part...my happiest memory was going into a yarn shop in Munich where it was owned by a guy in his 80's and asking for sock yarn...when he asked for what sized needles, I explained that I crocheted my socks...he didn't put me down for that...and fortunately I was wearing crocheted socks to show him...he was impressed...

I used to live next door to a yarn shop and would share what I crocheted with the owner of that shop...while she crocheted herself, she was very impressed with what I would crank out.

Many times I've heard, "I never knew you could do that with crochet..." So I take every opportunity to show people what one can do with crochet. It doesn't always have to be about afghans, although I do like to make afghans...and afghans don't always have to be made out of granny squares...

I've been crocheting over 40 years now...conceivably I'm old enough to be a grandma, but I never had kids...if someone says, "my grandma does that" that grandma might be in her 40's or 50's...not necessarily in her 70's or 80's...that grandma may be crocheting while listening to Led Zepplin...

Actually I think people think it is taboo to crochet/knit in public Society has made 'things' like that to be seen as odd or weird. Out of place.

I never felt that way at all...maybe I was just rude and oblivious, I don't know. I would crochet at ball games long before Lion Brand had their sponsored baseball game days...I would take crocheting, knitting, and even hand sewing to work with me to do on lunch hours and breaks (and on mass transportation) over 20/30 years ago...I never thought it was taboo all these years...and was totally validated living in Germany where it was not uncommon to see a woman of any age working on a pair of socks while riding the trolly.

I live on an island and have to take a ferry onto and off of the island (no bridges) and sometimes there's a wait for the ferry...along with my purse, I always have a bag with some project in the car...and it's quite common to see people read, but many doing some kind of handwork...I didn't really know what tatting was nor had I seen it up close and personal until 12 years ago when I was on the ferry and another passenger was actually doing tatting!

I will say though that as I get older, it's becoming harder for me to split my attention, so sometimes I don't take my crocheting with me to a friend's house (unless we both are going to crochet) some people don't want to feel in competition with the crocheting...and I don't have a problem with that...and I personally draw the line at crocheting in church. I know some people might do that and I don't have a problem with it, but for me, I need to focus more on what's being said...there is a time and place for my crocheting...

But if I were to go to a coffee house and someone have a problem with me crocheting in public, they really need to ask themselves why? I've paid for a drink, I'm not bothering anyone...what difference does it really make...

Archived