Brush on rubber backing for rugs, slippers....

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of a brush on rubber backing, one could use for hand crocheted rugs, or slippers?? Does one exist, I have heard rumors of it, if so, what's it called, and where do i lay in a supply! Thank you, the slip effect is the reason I don't make slippers for the elderly in the nursing homes, until i can figure out how to make them more non slip, and this sounds like a plan! thanks for any info!! :crocheting:manyheart

I use a product called "Plasti Dip". It is a multipurpose Rubber Coating that contractors use on the handles of their tools. You just brush it on the bottom of slippers, rugs, coasters and such. It doesn't get hard or weather crack. Works well and is available at most big box hardware stores. I bought mine at Menards.

NOTE -- You do have to be careful with it. I use gloves when applying with a brush and make sure I am outside on the porch to avoid inhaling vapors. Sort of like using oil paint.

I use a product called "Plasti Dip". It is a multipurpose Rubber Coating that contractors use on the handles of their tools. You just brush it on the bottom of slippers, rugs, coasters and such. It doesn't get hard or weather crack. Works well and is available at most big box hardware stores. I bought mine at Menards.

NOTE -- You do have to be careful with it. I use gloves when applying with a brush and make sure I am outside on the porch to avoid inhaling vapors. Sort of like using oil paint.

I have been wanting to try this for slippers. After it is applied, can you wash the item?

OOOOH, thank you , we have a menards here, I will get some and try it, and Im assuming you can wash it after it dries, of course. Thanks again, I sure do wanna try it, I tried puff paint once, probably didn't do it right, but it just dried in lines, and was hard to apply, then someone told me, you have to apply heat, like from an iron, but I had already thrown the darn puff pain away, as I was so disappointed, and it ruined the slipper I put it on,,,,,grrrrr, so glad to try this, thank you for the info!! :hug

As to washing, yes, it is washable. You take care of it like you would those bathroom rugs with rubber backing. I don't dry my items in a "hot" dryer. I either dry on low or fluff or line dry.

Herschners has a backing called Regina ABS latex for socks. It comes in different colors and has stencils to make designs.:hook

I like that! I never would have thought about doing it in designs. I'm excited to try my hand at some slippers and eventually socks but I've been shying away from it because we live in a basement apartment which has tile floors throughout and I fear my daughter and myself slipping everywhere but because of the tile we need to wear socks or our feet freeze.

Yay!! a multitude of possibilities! Thank you everyone, keep um coming!

I know!! I want to donate some slippers for xmas stockings at a local nursing home, but leary of that, without something slip proof on the soles! These are great ideas, I knew you ladies would be able to help with this! Thanka again,.

• 2 weeks later...

Be in a VERY well ventilated area,maybe even outside when using Plasti-Dip. That stuff is petroleum based and STINKS to high Heaven! Make sure your piece also airs for SEVERAL days. I used this stuff and my parents even were able to smell it,and their noses don't work as well as they used to! ;)

Just bought a can of Plasti-Dip at Lowes. My lowes only had black, so that's what came home. $9 for the "dip" can (14.5oz size). There's a spray on version too, apparently. But this way I can paint it on...maybe even paint on designs? I'll have to play with some slippers and slipper socks and see what works :) So it IS available in other colours, just not where I was at the time ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump! New infor. lol I have tried something called rubber rug backing on the bottoms of slippers, but to tell you the truth, not that happy with the results.... First of all i got it at Joannes, in a small tub, guess you paint it on, numerous coats to get the thickness you want, which you have to let dry no more or less that 12 hours, and can't wash them for like i dunno a week or two after. Well I did three coats, not still what I was looking for, next time Im in Menards, or home Depot, Im going for the plasti dip.ANyone else tried any of these products recently??

the plasti-dip is still here, waiting for me to test it! :blush But I am working up a bunch of slippers (my once/week making something for our church's knit&crochet ministry), and so when it warms up in a couple of months (not painting outside right now, not here in snow country), I will have several to try it out on.

some where on this board some one posted a link that you could also use rubber maid shelf liner to put on the slippers I have the rubber maid liner but I can not find the link on how to cut the pattern

• 2 weeks later...
the plasti-dip is still here, waiting for me to test it! :blush But I am working up a bunch of slippers (my once/week making something for our church's knit&crochet ministry), and so when it warms up in a couple of months (not painting outside right now, not here in snow country), I will have several to try it out on.

thanks, i would appreciate any info you come up with once you try it. For the mean time, I have given up making slippers, lol wasn't too great like some on here are anyway on them, soooo no great sacrifice for me, and hated the idea of giving them to the nursing home, without being slip proof! someone said, puff paint, can you tell me how you do that please?? I have some still , but afraid to ruin a pair of slippers till i know exactly how to do it! thanks for your help!! :hug

I tried some of that puff paint that comes in a tiny tube, years ago, and wasn't thrilled, b/c it didn't "stick"...but it was older paint, which may have contributed to the problem.so someone else could probably give you a better result for that.

When it does warm up around here (I'm guessing it will be March before I even think about painting this gunk outside)...I will be sure to post results (pictures too)...just fyi, I've been making smaller slippers, kids to maybe womens 8, for our church's ministry, as we give a lot of stuff out to our "KidsHopeUSA" kids, among others. The knit-&-Crochet ministry takes whatever folks make, and find a home for it. :)

I tried some of that puff paint that comes in a tiny tube, years ago, and wasn't thrilled, b/c it didn't "stick"...but it was older paint, which may have contributed to the problem.so someone else could probably give you a better result for that.

When it does warm up around here (I'm guessing it will be March before I even think about painting this gunk outside)...I will be sure to post results (pictures too)...just fyi, I've been making smaller slippers, kids to maybe womens 8, for our church's ministry, as we give a lot of stuff out to our "KidsHopeUSA" kids, among others. The knit-&-Crochet ministry takes whatever folks make, and find a home for it. :)

Yeah, see, i thought the same but I just thought I didnt do it right! Do you have to heat it with the iron, in order for it to "puff" i dunno! someone will though, lol

Archived