Hamster Tubes

Mom w/a Motif

I wanted to crochet something for our newest hamster. (She's a Russian Dwarf Hamster-- super tiny!! Her name is Oak.) I crocheted a Hamster Hut for one of them already. I wanted to crochet Oak one, too. But I was thinking how she loves sleeping in toilet paper roll tubes (which we put in her cage for her to chew on--which she also does). Then I remembered Relic Raider had crocheted her guinea pig a tunnel. :idea So I thought, "Why not crochet her a tube?" For Oaks, I chained 24 so it would be about the same size as the toilet paper roll tube. Then I made a bigger one (chained 34) for Mia. I wrote up how I did it on my pattern blog: Hamster Tube. :hook I wanted to add: Oak loves her tube! She won't come out of it. Then if she does, she goes right back in there. She's taking longer to warm up to us than Mia did. :(

post-20-135897543959_thumb.jpg

post-20-135897543963_thumb.jpg

post-20-135897543965_thumb.jpg

I have noticed she is (even more so than our two dwarf teddy bear hamsters) really aloof; will hide in the corner. Even if I try to give her a treat. I've been trying to just put my hand by the edge of the cage (the door), and let her come to me. Even then, sometimes; she will bat at me with her paws. Poor thing.

Mia was kind of like that, too; when we first got her. But she is friendly and will put her paws up so you can pick her up, now. (Although she still will bite you, sometimes. Esp. if she smells food.) :P

that is cute! Oak obviously loves her tube!! The dwarfs are not known for their friendliness. It will take time..

• 1 month later...

The crocheted tube is just sooooo adorable! And even more cute with the darling little hammy in it......sweet!

I have since noticed one thing about the tube. When we washed it, it fell flat and wouldn't stand up anymore. I haven't yet tried again. I'm thinking of trying again and doing it like I did the tent and have it hang from strings. Still in the thought stage at this point, though.

Good to see I've inspired other pampered pet items!

They're so cute. Great job.

Archived