Butterfly of Hope Square (8"h x 8"w inches)

champygirl

Hi, I didn't think there was enough Butterfly Squares out there :D , so I decided to come up with a couple. :yes This square and the Cabled Butterfly Square end with the same amount of stitches, for easier sewing. I wanted these two squares to coordinate well with each other.

This square can be enlarged to any size after Rnd 8, because after Rnd 8 you can work it like you would for a traditional granny square.

Please send me a pm if you find any errors. :hook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Butterfly of Hope Square

post-11825-135897541594_thumb.jpg

Copyright to champygirl June 16, 2010

Materials:

Worsted Weight yarn in a butterfly color, square color and a small amount of black
Size H hook (5.00mm)
Yarn needle (to weave in ends)

Finish Size: 8”h x 8”w inches

Different Stitches:

Incomplete Double Crochet (INCDC)-Yarn over, insert hook in specified st, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, draw thru 2 loops.

Extended Double Crochet (EDC)-Yarn over, insert hook in specified st, yarn over, draw up a loop, yarn over, draw thru one loop, yarn over, draw thru two loops, yarn over, draw thru last two loops.

Directions:

Rnd 1: With butterfly color ch5, join with sl st to first chain to form ring, ch3, 2 dc in ring, ch3, [3 dc in ring, ch3] Do this 3 times, join with sl st to top of beginning ch3.
(12dc, 4-ch3 spaces) (Beginning ch3 counts as dc)

Rnd 2: Ch7, sl st in 5th chain from hook (picot formed), 1 INCDC in each of the next 2 sts, yarn over, draw thru all 3 loops on hook, ch2, sl st in same st as last INCDC, [sl st in each of the next 3 chains, sl st in next st, ch7, sl st in 5th st from hook (picot formed), 1 INCDC in each of the next 2 sts, yarn over, draw thru all 3 loops on hook, ch2, sl st in same st as last INCDC] Do this 3 times, sl st in each of the next 3 chains, join with sl st to joining sl st of Rnd 1.
(4 wings, 4-ch3 spaces)

Finish off.

Notes:

On the next Rnd you’re going to crochet over the sl sts in the ch3 space.

When you’re chaining the chains should be behind your wings.

Rnd 3: Join square color with sl st to any ch3 space, ch1, 4 sc in same ch3 space, [ch3, 4 sc in next ch3 space] Do this 3 times, ch3, join with sl st to first sc.
(16sc, 4-ch3 spaces)

Rnd 4: Ch2, 1 dc in same st as joining, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 5 EDC in next ch3 space, [1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 5 EDC in next ch3 space] Do this 3 times, join with sl st to first dc.
(24dc, 20 EDC) (44sts total) (Beginning ch2 does not count as dc)

Note: On the next Rnd you’re going to join the top of the wing to the square, to keep them from curling up. You will do this by inserting hook in the picot on the wing before going into specified st.

Rnd 5: Ch1, 1 hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, (1 EDC, ch3, 1 EDC) all in next st, also going thru picot (on the wing), [1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 hdc in each of the next 2 sts, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, (1 EDC, ch3, 1 EDC) all in next st also going thru picot (on the wing)] Do this 3 times, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, join with sl st to first hdc.
(16dc, 16 hdc, 8sc, 8 EDC, 4-ch3 spaces) (48sts total)

Rnd 6: Ch4, skip next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, ch1, skip next st, 1 dc in each of the next 3 sts, ch1, skip next st, (2 dc, ch3, 2 dc) all in next ch3 space, [ch1, skip next st, 1 dc in each of the next 3 sts, ch1, skip next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, ch1, skip next st, 1 dc in each of the next 3 sts, ch1, skip next st, (2 dc, ch3, 2 dc) all in next ch3 space] Do this 3 times, ch1, skip next st, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, join with sl st to 3rd chain of beginning ch4.
(48dc, 16-ch1 spaces, 4-ch3 spaces) (Beginning ch4 counts as dc and ch1)

Rnd 7: Ch3, 2 dc in ch1 space, ch1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space, ch1, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space, ch1, skip next 2 dc, (3 dc, ch3, 3 dc) all in next ch3 space, {[ch1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space, ch1, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space] Do this 2 times, ch1, skip next 2 dc, (3 dc, ch3, 3 dc) all in next ch3 space} Do this 3 times, ch1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space, ch1, skip next 2 dc, join with sl st to top of beginning ch3.
(72dc, 20-ch1 spaces, 4-ch3 spaces) (Beginning ch3 counts as dc)

Rnd 8: Sl st in each of the next 2 sts, sl st in next ch1 space, ch3, 2 dc in same ch1 space, [ch1, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space] Do this 2 times, ch1, skip next 3 dc, (3 dc, ch3, 3 dc) all in next ch3 space, {[ch1, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space] Do this 5 times, ch1, skip next 3 dc, (3 dc, ch3, 3 dc) all in next ch3 space} Do this 3 times, [ch1, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch1 space] Do this 2 times, ch1, join with sl st to top of beginning ch3.
(84dc, 24-ch1 spaces, 4-ch3 spaces) (Beginning ch3 counts as dc)

Rnd 9: Ch1, 1 sc in same st as joining, 1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, [1 sc in next ch1 space, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 3 times, (2 sc, ch2, 2 sc) all in next ch3 space, {1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, [1 sc in next ch1 space, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 6 times, (2 sc, ch2, 2 sc) all in next ch3 space} Do this 3 times, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts, [1 sc in next ch1 space, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 2 times, 1 sc in next ch1 space, join with sl st to first sc.
(124sc, 4-ch2 spaces)

Finish off and weave in ends.

Butterfly’s Body: Cut a piece of black yarn measuring 13” to 14” inches. Insert hook in one of the first ch3 spaces made in pattern, fold piece of yarn in half over hook, pull up a loop, insert hook in hole from starting, yarn over, with loose pieces of yarn, pull up a loop, pull loop thru loop on hook, insert hook in ch3 space above you, yarn over with loose pieces of yarn, pull up a loop, pull loop thru loop on hook, yarn over, pull loose yarn thru loop on hook, pull taut.

The 2 pieces of yarn will be you antennas. To hold these down, first I figured out how far I wanted them apart, then I thread each piece of yarn thru a sc so its on the wrong side of the square, the I knot the two pieces of yarn together being careful not to tie them to tightly (Don’t want the sc to bunch).

Enjoy!!!!

Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl June 16, 2010. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. It is free for a reason. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

I collected butterflies before I did stars <big grin>! I'm loving all your patterns. If I'd known there were gonna be such a wealth of them, I'd have given you your own folder in my patterns folder like I did Doris Chan!! Thanks, so much!

• 2 months later...

Archived