Safe Baby Blankets? Without lacy holes?

Alnee

A friend and I were comparing project lists last night. She mentioned that she was making up 6 baby blankets this week to donate to her local project linus chapter. When I questioned the number she said it was correct. She is making them using 3 strands of baby yarn and essentially just a large granny square. I know a donation is a donation but to me the threads looked very loose and the hole rather large. They were pretty and had a very "lacy" type look to them but I question them as far as safety goes. I could see a baby getting a hand/finger or foot/toe caught in the holes. How does everyone else feel?

Are there any other patterns that make up that quick that are safe for baby? It seems many of the "5 1/2 hours" afghans that are made up with a S or Q hook would not work. I know that I have made my dog blankets using a N hook and 3 strands of Red Heart SS and they are secure but they are not very "baby"...

Yes, I suppose a baby could get something caught in the blanket.

Here is a thought to remember though: Babies are not supposed to be put to bed with blankets.

Personally, I used blankets when out in the carseat/stroller/going in and out of the house with my daughter. If the holes are big enough to get a foot through, maybe the pattern needs to be rethought.

I have used two strands of LionBrand Pound of Love for a quick blankie using a V-Stitch pattern. it was lacy, but was meant more for comfort after my daughter's cleft lip repair surgery.

A pattern that is not too lacy is Aggie May's Round ripple pattern. (You have to PM her for the pattern--but it is great!) I made one for my sister in law using two strands of Caron One pound (thicker than Pound of Love.) It was a little thick for a baby blanket, but perhaps using a thinner yarn, such as pound of Love would make it appropriate. (or even 3 strands of baby yarn...)

These thoughts may not be too useful, but there they are in black and white.

It is a real concern. Little toes or fingers can get tangled in holes like that.

In fact, at the county fair, the judge is very critical about holes in the blankets that people make. If they are too big, he really takes points off.

Safety is a big factor.

But if your friend is making these blankets, I don't know how you would approach the safety issue with her. After all, she is making them for charity.

:manyheart

After all, she is making them for charity.

I wonder how the charity will feel about getting her hard work that they might not want to use.

You might compliment her on the work and ask if she has ever made that pattern for a friend. You just wonder as you had heard something about baby blankets and holes.

As the Director of a crocheting/knitting charity I am always reminding the Volunteers that you should only give work you would give to a friend.

I make baby blankets for charity all the time - and I am always very careful to not make the ones with large holes. I didn't want to use those for my son, so I'm pretty sure the recipient will feel the same.

Some of the patterns I get the most comments about wanting more of are the one from the pound of love label (also on the lion brand website and very similar to one on the Project Linus website) and Aggie May's RR. These are both great patterns from my experience!

I make a lot of baby blankets, and try to choose patterns with very few holes.

I've found that it's almost inevitable that crochet patterns will have some holes. One of the beauties of crochet is how easily you can create pretty, lacy patterns. Even the Aran style blankets I've made have had rows with holes in them. And I think that even a row of double crochet has enough space between the stitches for a tiny baby to get a finger or toe caught.

The Project Linus website has several patterns to use, and they have no holes. However, I have made granny square blankets for PL, usually larger, for bigger kids who I am less concerned about getting fingers and toes caught in any holes.

Clearly, hospitals don't want blankets with holes that can trap lines, etc. as well as toes. However, a security blanket from the Red Cross for a child whose just lost his home to a fire--well, I suspect a granny square would be fine, even with holes.

I trust the chapter to tell me if the blanket pattern is not appropriate, and the recipients (both facility and parent) to know when and how it is appropriate to use the blanket.

Patty

Hmm...I have two small children, babies still really, and an older child; they each have blankies I've made them that are a bit on the hole-y side. They sleep with their blankies, and have since they were tiny. I've yet to have anything get stuck or caught. Not sure about donating hole-y blankets to hospitals (as tubes and picc lines could be a problem), but just to be donated...can't really see a problem???

But then again, my babies have all slept on their bellies, drank formula, cried themselves to sleep, etc. LOL! Everything the new expertise tells ya not to do. So maybe I am not the person to weigh in on the subject. LOL! ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am a little slow responding since I just had surgery so I am playing catch up. The blankets are beautiful but I just wonder about the safety. We talked about it some more this morning and she said she was going to change patterns for future blankets. They are very pretty almost like keepsake blankets. She said that when she brought them into the hospital this week a nurse said something about the hole size to her and that got her thinking. She said that as much as the nurse hated to say it she said that they would likely give those blankets to the children that they did not expect would make it since they would serve more as a keepsake than a child's blanket. She was pretty upset about it but I told her to think of how much that blanket will mean to a family member that has lost a little angel and will comfort them, etc.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Well, that's a sobering thought. But still, a wonderful gift on her part. Those parents will be comforted by those blankets, though, so your friend still has done a wonderful thing by making them. And by putting so much effort into them to make them the most beautiful blankets she can.

Patty

IMHO, the lacy baby blankets are probably being used as a pretty wrap or throw over a simple cotton receiving blanket for the littlest babies.

I think that most of the tiny babies coming home from the hospital may wear a handmade hat or sacque or such, but I can't see them being wrapped only in a crochet blanket. I can, however, see the crochet blanket being the "topper" to make an even more beautiful bundle of joy.

I have a stitch I found that works beautifully if you like a "solid" baby blanket. I use it with almost any yarn, and it comes out very nice. I call it a fat double (originally it's called a decrease double). You can see it in the crochet section of my website. The link is included in my signature.

Archived