Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. I finished my first complete block the other night. I decided to just go ahead and join each saltine with a color from one of the blocks instead of doing the all verticle-the-horizontal-method... I like that I can see my progress. Kind of helps keep things moving.

So here is a pic of my first completed block. I changed up the patten a wee bit with the squares in the middle, just something different.

1008057iv3.jpg

One good thing about stepping back and taking a pic... I can see where I forgot to join two squares :think Can you find it? :D

And here's a pic of my second square.... still in pieces, but proof that I am working on it ;)

1008058rq4.th.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their inspiration! My kids are already hitting me up for their quiltghans...

Well. I finished my first complete block the other night. I decided to just go ahead and join each saltine with a color from one of the blocks instead of doing the all verticle-the-horizontal-method... I like that I can see my progress. Kind of helps keep things moving.

So here is a pic of my first completed block. I changed up the patten a wee bit with the squares in the middle, just something different.

1008057iv3.jpg

And here's a pic of my second square.... still in pieces, but proof that I am working on it ;)

1008058rq4.th.jpg

gorgeous!

I got pictures! I'm lazy and don't feel like uploading them to several places, so they're all here.

I love the contrasting colors in that afghan! Thanks for sharing. And I adore that H-bag. I've been watching the thread regarding this bag, I have it on my mental wish list!

Very pretty, Marian! And right off the bat I did see the squares you missed joining;) Looks great joined with the same color....

th_bag006.jpg

here is the photo of my bag :)

Denise just gorgeous. :clap

I got 16 more solids done on my BIC. Boy this job sure cuts into my crochet time. :lol What will I do if I ever get a job with more hours :eek:lol

great progress, yes hard to get stuff done when you have to work, cant wait till Im unemployed for awhile so I can catch up. :lol

Wendy -- Only 106 GT squares, no? :eek Best of luck to you. How are you feeling, Dear? I'm thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Please add another 50 solids for me.

Have a nice day, Everyone!

Thanks:hug Im fine, I have had all my blood test results back and Im still on diet control for diabetes. So thats good, now just have to get fit and lose some weight. Great progress on the saltines. :clap

I am doing saltines again :):yay

Im doing the ladybird and irish chain. Im hoping to get lots of :crocheting done by the end of the week because then is back to work :(

:yay for doing saltines again. What is the ladybird

What's the lady bird? I think I might start on my IC tonight :cheer I got the baby RR done (picture will be taken today) and decided I wanted to throw in a pair of booties. Yet, for some reason I seem incapable of making booties. They're not that difficult! I'm on the third pattern, and I'm liking this one. The other two patterns the booties didn't resemble the patterns :think

Mom finally gave me a final number of hotpads for her Christmas gifts. She needs 24 and I have 11 made. So I might do one of those tonight and some saltines. I'm itching to start on my IC :lol

Wow 24 hotpads, thats a lot isnt it.

1008057iv3.jpg

One good thing about stepping back and taking a pic... I can see where I forgot to join two squares :think Can you find it? :D

1008058rq4.th.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their inspiration! My kids are already hitting me up for their quiltghans...

Just gorgeous. :clap

OK Ladies.. I stumbled on to this thread. I love these afghans but I have a few questions... How do you decided which one to do?? They are all so beautiful that I can't decided which one to try. Next quesiton, how do you pick your colors? I have never been very good at picking which colors to put together... Next question.. I want to make one for a couch blanket (finally to make something for me)... How do I know what size the finished blanket will be?? Ok. Now I am off to daydream about which one I want to start (after I finish Christmas presents). I want to get the yarn SOON since RH is on sale at Michael's for $1.99 this week.

Thanks in advance..

Michele

OK Ladies.. I stumbled on to this thread. I love these afghans but I have a few questions... How do you decided which one to do?? They are all so beautiful that I can't decided which one to try. Next quesiton, how do you pick your colors? I have never been very good at picking which colors to put together... Next question.. I want to make one for a couch blanket (finally to make something for me)... How do I know what size the finished blanket will be?? Ok. Now I am off to daydream about which one I want to start (after I finish Christmas presents). I want to get the yarn SOON since RH is on sale at Michael's for $1.99 this week.

Thanks in advance..

Michele

OK I'll try to answer your questions

1) As far as deciding which one to do sometimes we can't .. I have several of these going on at the same time... Cara (Misa) is the founder of the Happy Yellow House and creator of most of these lovely patterns.. be ware Saltine( what we call the little squares) making is addictive.. I usually start the one that calls to me... I did a large Amish Basket during the summer and I've done small Around the World and others..

2) As far as putting together colors... some follow Cara's patterns...she always seems to have such good choices... some pick our own favorite colors or the colors of the person it is going to.. some use colors they have on hand.. if you have questions feel free to ask... everyone helps everyone else...

3) as far as size... if it not listed on the pattern you can figure it out ... using an H hook... they are usually 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" so 10 squares would be 23 - 25" wide..

I think you can get about 40 saltines out of a skein of RHSS but don't quote me on that...

Thanks Tracey!

Michele, welcome to the group! A lot of us are doing an Irish Chain afghan (Google images Irish Chain), which I brought my yarn out of my closet for, but didn't start on last night. Regarding colors, like Shelly said, I think about who the afghan is for. And then work with what "calls" to me. For example, my IC (Irish Chain) is going to be in a dark brown, light brown and beige-ish color. I've been wanting to do an afghan in those colors for awhile and will very easily match the colors I've kinda got in my bedroom. Good luck choosing everything!

Next quesiton, how do you pick your colors? I have never been very good at picking which colors to put together..

Well, what a lot of people do that are "color challenged" is post here what colors they are trying to match (like the colors in their living room, etc.) or the color family they want to be in: brights, earth tones, pastels, etc... Then if you say you want to stick in the RHSS brand, we can offer you suggestions. Usually it works.

Well, what a lot of people do that are "color challenged" is post here what colors they are trying to match (like the colors in their living room, etc.) or the color family they want to be in: brights, earth tones, pastels, etc... Then if you say you want to stick in the RHSS brand, we can offer you suggestions. Usually it works.

I've also been known to accost strangers at Joann's to ask their opinion on colors :lol DBF helps sometimes, but he more lets me talk things out and when I really do want an opinion, he doesn't provide it. :P

Thanks Tracey!

Michele, welcome to the group! A lot of us are doing an Irish Chain afghan (Google images Irish Chain), which I brought my yarn out of my closet for, but didn't start on last night. Regarding colors, like Shelly said, I think about who the afghan is for. And then work with what "calls" to me. For example, my IC (Irish Chain) is going to be in a dark brown, light brown and beige-ish color. I've been wanting to do an afghan in those colors for awhile and will very easily match the colors I've kinda got in my bedroom. Good luck choosing everything!

I absolutely love the pink and yellow round.. who's pattern is that?

Cathy

Good Morning, all. :)

Val, your baby RR is adorable! :c9 Congratulations on finishing with time to spare. And I love the bag, too. Beautiful work!

Marian~Yay for completing your first block of the Pinwheel. :cheer The colors are really pretty together.

Welcome, Michele! Cara's patterns are wonderful, which makes it even harder to make a decision. :lol One of the first patterns I made was the Woven Blocks and it's still a favorite. It is all solid squares, if that makes a difference.

Laura Lee ~ Super progress on the Casa! Squares are added. :hook

Hi to those I've missed. On the way out the door for a much needed haircut and errands. Have a great Wednesday, everyone. :manyheart

P.S. Tracy, is next week okay? :D

The RR is Aggie May's pattern. It's super super easy and I love it! That is my 5th RR in less than a year. She gives the pattern out for free, just send her a message requesting it.

I got pictures! I'm lazy and don't feel like uploading them to several places, so they're all here.

Love the pink and yellow together! Excellent work all around :clap

1008057iv3.jpg

1008058rq4.th.jpg

Oh that is just fantastic! Great job :clap

Thanks in advance..

Michele

Welcome Michele! :hug I think the ladies have already done a fine job of answering your questions. They help me a lot, too! I always recommend one of the quilts that are all solid squares to start unless you're an experienced crocheter. Good luck with whichever one you choose and of course remember that we like photos :D

Yes, yes I'm up before noon without even having to be :eek I felt lousy yesterday so I was asleep by midnight. Maybe I can get more done today. Still fighting a pattern that's giving me fits but I think I worked out what I want as I was falling asleep last night :hook

Oh goody. I'm on a teleconference training. The kind that actually requires I look at something else and it's difficult to work while on this teleconference. So I'm getting some saltines done :D

Thanks in advance..

Michele

Welcome to the group, you will really enjoy making these ghans.

Oooooo another convert to saltines!!!!! :clap Welcome to the group!

I have done another 14 bi-colors and 42 solids. Only 14 more rows to go!!!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!!!:)

Great progress, well done. :clap

The RR is Aggie May's pattern. It's super super easy and I love it! That is my 5th RR in less than a year. She gives the pattern out for free, just send her a message requesting it.

Love your round ripple, its very pretty.

Yes, yes I'm up before noon without even having to be :eek I felt lousy yesterday so I was asleep by midnight. Maybe I can get more done today. Still fighting a pattern that's giving me fits but I think I worked out what I want as I was falling asleep last night :hook

Oh these are dolls. Still working, okay not working but thinking, about that turkey doll and now I'm working on a snowman. Can't get a hat I like :sigh

Hope you get the pattern worked out so you can get some sleep. :hug

Hi everyone. It's been a crazy day with very little crocheting...about 6 squares made. :(

Val, I think Aggie May's pattern is wonderful and will ask her for the pattern the next time I make a RR. :yes

Have a good evening/morning and will see you all tomorrow. :manyheart

Archived