To Sell or Not To Sell?

I know there might be a better place to ask (on this forum), but I thought I might get a better response here. :)

I have really been going back and forth lately deciding whether or not I should submit some of my better patterns for publication to magazines, etc. I have a lot of ideas and several patterns I have never added to my blog. I have no intentions of selling on Etsy, because frankly, I hate the idea of sending PDF's all of the time and them being shared all over the internet. :blushFor those of you who have sold your designs, what were your reasons for doing so? Any input is appreciated. :manyheart

First off, you should submit your scallop purse! I love that pattern! :manyheart

Secondly, I decided to sell some of my patterns to make a little cash so I can buy more patterns. The money I make never leaves my PayPal until I use it to buy a pattern.

:turtle:vheart

I've been toying with the idea selling, also, whether by submission or indie (etsy)...I'd be interested in other sellers' opinions on the pros and cons of both, too. :)

First off, you should submit your scallop purse! I love that pattern! :manyheart

Secondly, I decided to sell some of my patterns to make a little cash so I can buy more patterns. The money I make never leaves my PayPal until I use it to buy a pattern.

:turtle:vheart

LOL Thanks! I made a new version of that purse that I am considering submitting. :)

For me I think it's more about doing it just to say I've done it, for the fun of it I suppose. And of course, anything I have submitted and wasn't accepted will be on my blog eventually. :lol

I used to have a website where I had people order crochet bikinis, and I would make them and mail it to the customer. It got to where I was doing that CONSTANTLY and hardly making any money. I was getting carpal tunnel syndrom in both shoulders, elbows, and wrists. It was crazy. I decided to sell my patterns instead, and let others do all the work. LOL. I haven't looked back since. When I first started selling my patterns, I had some free ones on my site, too. I found out that someone was taking my free patterns and selling them as theirs on ebay. That freaked me out for a time, but I just had to let that go. I copywrite all my work, and try to keep an eye on it all, but I just have to let go of all the worrying. They can pass your patterns around if they are paid for, free, copywrited or not. At least, if someone paid for it at some time you made money off of that. I do have some special patterns that I keep on the back burner ready to bring out as something special sometime.

I always sell just my patterns not things I have made, Not since the days when I tried doing craft shows and realized I was working very hard for about a $1.00 an hour. My time is definitely worth more than that. Now I just sell my patterns. I have submitted and will submit some of my patterns to the magazines and book publishers in the future, But I personally prefer to self publish most of my designs these days,

That way I control the pattern, The way it is written, when and where it comes out. How long it remains active. Price. How it is presented. All these things,

Yes it involves more work in the long run. But It really doesn't take long to send out a pdf pattern to someone. As far as people abusing my patterns. Well I can't stop them and I refuse to let it drive me crazy, or stop me from what I love doing. I try and make it as difficult as possible for them. But some people have no conscience.

I feel I have been fairly successful doing it this way. At least as much as I want it to be. When I need a break I just slow down releasing my designs. But I don't have to worry about working toward deadlines this way also.

I really don't want my crocheting to turn into such a job that it takes all the joy out of it for me. I will always first and foremost crochet and design for the pleasure it brings me. I promised myself when I first started my designing that I would never just design just to make money. For me that would be just wrong. But that is me. I have already had one of my passions dampened when it turned into a job. I promised myself never ever again.

So I like the control self publishing gives me. I always want my hook to sing to me and designs to reach out to me saying they need done. The selling is only a by product for me.

Just want to encourage you creative folks to sell your patterns on etsy or ravelry. I have found I much prefer to support the indie and try to buy periodicaly to help support their efforts. Not only do I get some very unique patterns, I have "met" some amazing people! I am sorry if some have shared the patterns they have bought, but I assure you that is not always the case. Many of us just like to support the creativeness that we enjoy seeing on here!

I have also found it to be very cost effective. So many times, I would pay $7-20 for a book and then only make one or two things from it. Buying individual pdfs online, lets me be very selective and only buy what I want to make, without having to pay for a lot of other patterns that aren't my cup of tea.

Just a little encouragement from a fan of the creative crochet designers! Keep 'em coming!

I used to have a website where I had people order crochet bikinis, and I would make them and mail it to the customer. It got to where I was doing that CONSTANTLY and hardly making any money. I was getting carpal tunnel syndrom in both shoulders, elbows, and wrists. It was crazy. I decided to sell my patterns instead, and let others do all the work. LOL. I haven't looked back since. When I first started selling my patterns, I had some free ones on my site, too. I found out that someone was taking my free patterns and selling them as theirs on ebay. That freaked me out for a time, but I just had to let that go. I copywrite all my work, and try to keep an eye on it all, but I just have to let go of all the worrying. They can pass your patterns around if they are paid for, free, copywrited or not. At least, if someone paid for it at some time you made money off of that. I do have some special patterns that I keep on the back burner ready to bring out as something special sometime.

Ouch! I agree, that it isn't worth it. I have problems with my hands. I think some of the established Etsy designers (patterns) do make a big profit on the occasion that they do a special order for an actual handmade item, but I can understand why they charge so much. When I first had my son I started making mei tais (baby carriers) for myself and friends. A few people suggested that I sell them. As soon as I started making them for "profit" I quickly lost interest in making them and it became an awful chore. I am just afraid of the same thing happening with crochet, which is something I absolutely love to do. I was never a sewer anyway. However, I honestly don't think I am doing this for the purpose of making money... at least that is what I have convinced myself.

About the free patterns being sold... that drives me insane. I always try to contact people when I see it going on. I never, ever buy patterns from Ebay for that reason. I think I would rather sell my patterns to magazines, because once they are sold I don't own the copyright and it isn't my problem anymore. If that makes any sense. :lol

I always sell just my patterns not things I have made, Not since the days when I tried doing craft shows and realized I was working very hard for about a $1.00 an hour. My time is definitely worth more than that. Now I just sell my patterns. I have submitted and will submit some of my patterns to the magazines and book publishers in the future, But I personally prefer to self publish most of my designs these days,

That way I control the pattern, The way it is written, when and where it comes out. How long it remains active. Price. How it is presented. All these things,

Yes it involves more work in the long run. But It really doesn't take long to send out a pdf pattern to someone. As far as people abusing my patterns. Well I can't stop them and I refuse to let it drive me crazy, or stop me from what I love doing. I try and make it as difficult as possible for them. But some people have no conscience.

I feel I have been fairly successful doing it this way. At least as much as I want it to be. When I need a break I just slow down releasing my designs. But I don't have to worry about working toward deadlines this way also.

I really don't want my crocheting to turn into such a job that it takes all the joy out of it for me. I will always first and foremost crochet and design for the pleasure it brings me. I promised myself when I first started my designing that I would never just design just to make money. For me that would be just wrong. But that is me. I have already had one of my passions dampened when it turned into a job. I promised myself never ever again.

So I like the control self publishing gives me. I always want my hook to sing to me and designs to reach out to me saying they need done. The selling is only a by product for me.

You definitely have it figured out. :) I wish I was more disciplined. I get distracted easy, especially with having a 2 year old son. :lol If I weren't also working and going to college I would probably do the same thing. I plan to design a lot more this summer, because I will be off of work (school bus driver) and I won't be taking any classes-though part of me says I should to get finished sooner. Thank you for responding to me.

Just want to encourage you creative folks to sell your patterns on etsy or ravelry. I have found I much prefer to support the indie and try to buy periodicaly to help support their efforts. Not only do I get some very unique patterns, I have "met" some amazing people! I am sorry if some have shared the patterns they have bought, but I assure you that is not always the case. Many of us just like to support the creativeness that we enjoy seeing on here!

I have also found it to be very cost effective. So many times, I would pay $7-20 for a book and then only make one or two things from it. Buying individual pdfs online, lets me be very selective and only buy what I want to make, without having to pay for a lot of other patterns that aren't my cup of tea.

Just a little encouragement from a fan of the creative crochet designers! Keep 'em coming!

I agree that you can find some very unique patterns. I love Ravelry and Etsy for that reason. I have been a Ravelry member for a while, but had yet to use it. I was scrolling through one day looking at what people had made. It was very eye opening. People give crochet labels such as "tacky," but there is a world of possibility and it's so easy to manipulate stitches and use special yarns to make things look the way you want them. I am thankful for your input. :) It's always nice to see the other side. I am only so wary of pattern sharing, because I've witnessed it so much. Some Yahoo groups are practically based upon it.:bang

Archived