Ripple Challenged

That's me. I am totally rippley challenged. The round ripple I can manage. There are no ENDS in a round ripple. A straight ripple? Yeah, not so much. I chained 152 3 times last night trying to get it right and every time I ended with either extra chains or not enough when I got to the end of the first row. Three times. That's 456 chains. And that first row takes so long with the counting and the gnashing of teeth and rending of cloth. *sigh* I think I may not be cut out for a ripple. :eek

I know how you feel. I have tried ripples too and have usually ripped out my hair with frustration. Let it alone for a while, then, if you feel brave enough, try again. I usually can't let patterns go. I have to conquer them, which can be a curse. Sending you hugs and understanding.

You can always chain a few extra when you start out and just untie the extra when you finish your first row. Don't tie your slip knot too tight so it is easy to untie any extra chains. I make a couple extra chains quite often when I'm making something with a large number of starting chains because it is very easy to make a few extra or fewer when starting out. I'm tired this morning so I hope I'm making sense.

I've used the same ripple pattern for years but always have the same problem. One night I was in tears 'cause I must have frogged 10 times. I always put it down and walk away for a little bit. Sometimes I just give up and put in a decrease at the end. Good luck!

I don't have any stitch markers, so I use what I have on hand, paper clips. I use paper clips to mark my stitches when I am doing a lot of counting. Just pop one in every 10-20 stitches and then you can easily recount and see where you are.

I was doubtful about being able to add extra chains and removing them afterwards, but it works! It has made things so much easier for me. Also, this pattern: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat-ripple-pattern.html has got be the most simplest ripple pattern out there. Just remember to convert her triple crochet (she's from the UK) to a double crochet. Good luck!

My afghan now is a ripple pattern...and if I'm off on the initial chain count, I just modify the pattern...the ends might not be perfectly uniform in size (they're not way off...just maybe 3 or 4 stitches off) but it works out okay and still looks great. I think little imperfections make homemade pieces special. Most of the time, you're the only one who will know!

I have managed a few straight ripples in the past. It's a matter of counting chains and increases and decreases. Whenever I have to chain any number over 20 I use colored wired coated paper clips to mark every 20 chains and I tell my husband he is a "goner" if he interrupts me:lol while I'm counting!;)

That's me. I am totally rippley challenged. The round ripple I can manage. There are no ENDS in a round ripple. A straight ripple? Yeah, not so much. I chained 152 3 times last night trying to get it right and every time I ended with either extra chains or not enough when I got to the end of the first row. Three times. That's 456 chains. And that first row takes so long with the counting and the gnashing of teeth and rending of cloth. *sigh* I think I may not be cut out for a ripple. :eek

I was doubtful about being able to add extra chains and removing them afterwards, but it works! It has made things so much easier for me. Also, this pattern: http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/neat-ripple-pattern.html has got be the most simplest ripple pattern out there. Just remember to convert her triple crochet (she's from the UK) to a double crochet. Good luck!

This is my next project for hubby. I hope it's as easy as you all say...LOL!:D

Oh this is an easy problem.

Chain out, work your ripple first row, and when you come to the extra chains... stop where your row ends, and snip the knot at the begining of your cahin, gently unravel the first chains and use that loose end as your "weave in' end.

It works for me, maybe it'll work for you? :P

Archived