Bible Cover for a friend

Momcrochets

For some crazy reason, it took me 3 weeks to make the thing.

when open, it's about 8" x 12 1/2". I used some fibre from my stash, that came to about a size 3 thread weight (I used my D hook) and the rose is from some bamboo thread (size 10ish) that I dyed last summer. anyway, she loves it, and it does fit her Bible very well, so I'm glad it turned out that well. :D

"Closed"post-7396-135897516347_thumb.jpg

Sorry, this one turned out to be rather out of focus! (and I no longer have the cover ;) )

Open:

post-7396-135897516352_thumb.jpg

(inside view)

post-7396-135897516355_thumb.jpg

(outside)

That's very pretty. I'm making Bible Bags for my two neices for Easter. They're not quite done yet. I'm hoping to have them finished in time.

It's a beautiful Bible cover! I wouldn't have thought to use the fabric to hold the book inside! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful, Mom! It's simple, classic and it sounds like your friend is delighted with it! What a lovely gift this is. You obviously blessed someone very special with your crochet skills...

rosebud, I pretty much made it up as I went along. I measured the dimensions of her Bible (7.5 tall x 12.5" (across covers as opened/wrap around from front cover to back cover (edges)--hope that made sense--) Picked a stitch pattern I liked, and made a rectangle. I made it a bit "taller" than her Bible, in part by happy accident..but it made it fit soo much better, with no "bowing" along the spine. :) I found some matching fabric, trimmed it to the 7.5" and about 3" wide, fraychecked the edges. I handstitched the pockets in place and then added a little flower just for fun. You could crochet the pockets, but to me, those pockets seem so thick...except maybe in a thread-stitched cover.

oh. The stitch I used in this one was the "up and down/crumple" stitch..(.sc, dc) across. next row, sc in the dc's and dc in the sc's across. continue.

if you haven't already, try doing a search for book covers, you might find a few more patterns...try www.crochetpatterncentral.com Rachel's site is awesome. all patterns with pictures.

HTH

I have done one of these too - and I picked a stitch pattern that made very small raised clusters - and then on the front cover - I crocheted a cross bookmark out of the thread with the silvery metallic running thru it and then appliqued it on!

I really like it and like yours I used fabric to keep it on.

Nice job!

Archived