Do you label/mark your work, and if yes how?

Good Morning fellow stitchers,

I have been trying to think of a way, besides labels to mark the things I make, so that they can be identified in the future. DH keeps telling me that I need to come up with something specific to put on each piece. The only thing I can think of is the label I see online and in craft stores, but I don't think I want to go that route.

1. Not much on sewing, so that doesn't appeal to me. :)

2. I thought labels could come loose, or may just not be practical for some

items. I just don't think I want to take the time to sew a label on a dishcloth for instance.

So, do you do anything in particular to identify your work?

Hi Valerie-

For large projects like afghans I make my own labels and sew them on. Here is a tute from where I got the instructions:

soulmama

For small projects such as doilies, dishcloth sets, etc. I print business cards with my own logo that also have the care and laundry instructions on the back of each, then tie them to the gift with a pretty ribbon.

I also found other ideas with different kinds of scrapbooking medias that can be printed out to suit your own tastes. ;)

I do the same as RenniC. When I make a crochet item for gift or sale, I attatch my buisness card and also washing/care instructions using a peice of yarn from the project. I tie it in a pretty bow. I also write on the tag, what the yarn is made of (wool, cotton etc), as some people dont like animal fibers or vice versa.

For bigger items i do a simple monogram and the year with sewing thread on the back.

For jewelry I tried making an F with beads, but they always came out to big.

I got 500 free business cards printed up at Vistaprint and punch a hole through them and tie it to my project. I also have some ribbon with my name printed on it that I received as a gift & depending on what I make and who it is for I'll sew that on somewhere unobtrusive

I print up my own little cards on cardstock. I have the logo I made that is in the avetar box (JR) that I made as well as my email address on the fornt. I leave the inside blank, the on the back, I put the fiber content and washing/care instructions (Including a reminder NOT to trim loose ends, but to weave them in. (These are square cards). I fold the cards then cut them out with zig-zag scissors, punch a hole in the upper left corner, then I am ready to go. With the blank inside, if it is for a friend, I write a sweet little messege, and if it is for someone else, I simply write the contents (and size, if applicable); ie. Lattice Scarf, or This layette contains: 1 hat (newborn), 1 sweater (size 6 months), 1 pair of booties (size 0-3 months)

I recall that there was a thread on marking your work with tags a while back:

Here is the link to the entire thread. If you scroll down to post #7, I posted pictures of what I was trying to explain. Hope this helps.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106664

I also print labels on cardstock with the care instructions and I add a small picture of the item to the card. My daughter found this helpful when I make clothes for the grandkids because she can hang the cards on the hanger and know which outfit it goes with. I do the same for my crocheted items too.

Thanks for your responses. I just didn't know how I wanted to do this, I have printed up a few business cards (for the craft show that I have done in the past) but I was looking for a way of adding something to the project itself. Watching to much antiques roadshow I guess, but I like the idea that if something that I made were to last long enough to be passed down, someone would know where it came from.

The story behind it, that kinda thing.

I also print labels on cardstock with the care instructions and I add a small picture of the item to the card. My daughter found this helpful when I make clothes for the grandkids because she can hang the cards on the hanger and know which outfit it goes with. I do the same for my crocheted items too.

I like this idea. Picture and care instructions, sounds like a plan to me. Thanks for the information.

Archived