Caron Simply Soft

JulieKay

Hi

I am writing to ask a question about Caron Simply Soft. I know a lot of you on here have posted about using this yarn a lot. I have used it to make clothing items and a few baby afghans, but was wondering how it holds up as far as adult- sized afghans ? Does it retain the shape well , even after washing ? I like it , but it seems so stretchy, I didn't know how well it'd work to make a heavy project with .

Thanks !

Julie k

:)

HI Julie,

I personally haven't used the caron simply soft for afghans. I've used it for other items (poncho's, clothing). However, a friend of mine made a few beautiful afghans with it - she did double up the strands so that it would be thicker.

I hope that helped :hook

I am writing to ask a question about Caron Simply Soft. I know a lot of you on here have posted about using this yarn a lot. I have used it to make clothing items and a few baby afghans, but was wondering how it holds up as far as adult- sized afghans ? Does it retain the shape well , even after washing ? I like it , but it seems so stretchy, I didn't know how well it'd work to make a heavy project with .

My mom made me an adult-sized 'ghan in Simply Soft ... about 10 years ago. It's been great -- no real stretching, I can just throw it in the washer/dryer and it's clean. Plus, it's stayed soft all this time! If I were making an afghan, I'd probably use simply soft for it because it's so durable and doesn't lose its shape.

It's also deceptively weighty. I made a wrap for my mom last christmas, and man, was that thing heavy! :eek

It seems thin, and it -is- thinner and stretchier than something like Red Heart, but it's got some meat to it. :)

I made a large blanket for my daughter out of it. The end opposite the beginning chain is ridiculously larger than the beginning chain end. I know it wasn't my crocheting as I am a tight crocheter and I didn't add stitches (done in treble crochet so I checked!). The only conclusion I came to was that the stupid yarn stretched a lot. I haven't touched the stuff since.

I made a large blanket for my daughter out of it. The end opposite the beginning chain is ridiculously larger than the beginning chain end.

I had the opposite problem; the first afghan I made out of Simply Soft was much larger at the chain end. My conclusion, though, was that it was my own gauge changing, as I worked on it for a long time and became a tighter crocheter over that time. That was an extremely heavy afghan, although I've made others with two strands of Simply Soft and a large hook, and they're a bit lighter. I think loose stitches really help with the weightiness of this yarn.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your replies -- it seems that we have a tie as far as opinions of this yarn go . I really like it a lot for baby afghans, but had my doubts about using it for larger ones. I guess I'll have to do some thinking on this one yet before deciding . Thanks for all your replies !

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm late to add my two cents worth--

but I love this yarn! The one kid-size blanket I made going making it width wise ended up a little wider on the end opposite my chain stitch--but I figured it was my stitching.

I'm now making an absurdly large adult size blanket with using 2tog and am working hte fabric length-wise and all seems well so far. The kid blanket i made was jsut so warm and so soft after I finished I curled up under it and napped!- I jsut had to ahve one for myself.

I'm using it to make a comfortghan (it's ending up about 5'x6') and it is holding its shape pretty well. Honestly - I think for me it depends on how much wear and tear it's going to be getting. If it will be washed often, I'd probably lean towards something like super saver, but not by much. I love working with simply soft.

I have NEVER had any problems with this yarn stretching or shrinking... it's GREAT to work with. Usually I go back and look at my work- if it's too big or small on one end... I count my stitches again andusually have messed up in the pattern somewhere. That's probably the problem.

It's a GREAT yarn and would recommend it anytime. Don't be afraid to use it!

I had a problem with bad spots in some Brites yarn last week, and sent the cut out pieces and labels back to Caron. Waiting to hear from them. One of the yarns had to be cut and tied 7 times in one skein. Thank goodness I was winding it on my ball winder, or I would be really ticked off.

Kathy

Kathy, I had that problem with some regular SS that I used for my daughter's afghan. All but one skein were fine; that oen was horrible. Thick and thin spots, several places where the yarn had knots in it that were not able to be untangled ... it was BAD. I just took it back to WalMart; I should have done what you did!

With that said, that is the only bad experience I've had with Simply Soft and I've made a LOT of stuff with it. It lasts beautifully through washing and drying, it doesn't stretch out of shape at all, and it's my yarn of choice for projects like afghans.

Archived