Why oh why...

can't I finish anything that I start???? :shrug I think I have a serious problem. I have an afghan that I started on 3 years ago!!! I have 2 scarves, yes scarves that I have put aside since before Christmas and then I have the nerve to come online and look for more patterns!:2blush I need help! I do more looking for patterns and dreaming then I actually do crocheting....is there a cure for this? :think

There is no gentle cure. But it's not a bad disease to have!! Especially if you get to horde lots of yarn!! And lots of books, and printed out patterns. And hooks. And gadgets to make crocheting easier. And, and, and. Oh, my!! No, there is no gentle cure.

I have this same problem. I really don't think there is a cure for this :shrug . I find a pattern and start it, then find another one get started on it and lay down the first and it is a vicious never ending cycle and I end up with about 20 UFOs. I have joined some CAL's to get the :kickI need to keep me focused on finishing and I am getting a little better. The satisfaction of finishing a project feels good and puts me on :c9, but I just don't experience it enough :heehee . I have a pattern and :yarn addiction, now I just need the FO addiction to go along with the other two and then I would be whole. I hope that you find something to help you stay focused or the motivation to finish those UFOs. I will be your :cheerleader, as I know exactly how you feel.

Darn internet! It's way too easy to go pattern-searching! :compute

it really bothers me to have things hanging around that I haven't finished, so i try to only have a few of those:lol

But what I sometimes do when I find a pattern i like is to start swatching and see if I really like how the stitch pattern comes out for me, and if i enjoy actually doing it. then if I do like it I can either start on it, or file away the swatch(es) for future reference. that way I've "scratched the itch" to start something new, but i don't have a ufo hanging around making me feel guilty.

Need help

I am working on this new project and i am having a problem with the pattern I am crocheting a six leaf pattern and it done using rounds. ch 8 join with a slip st to form a ring.

ok i did that and did round 1 (right side) Ch 3 (count as first dc), 2 dc in ring.ch 1. (3 dc in ring, ch1)5 times;join with slip st to first dc: 18 dc and 6 ch-1 sps ok i did this stitch also.

but round to says slip st in next dc, ch2 work (2-dc Cluster , ch-3 3-dc Cluster) in the same st ch 3 dc in the next ch-1 sp ch3 skip next dc *(work 3-dc Cluster,ch 3 twicein the next dc.dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 3 skip next st; repeat from * around ; join with a slip st to top of first 2-dc Cluster: when i do the round 2 st it comes out like four and not the six sides that i need and see in the picture can someone please explain to me what i am doing wrong or misunderstanding

Need help

I am working on this new project and i am having a problem with the pattern I am crocheting a six leaf pattern and it done using rounds. ch 8 join with a slip st to form a ring.

ok i did that and did round 1 (right side) Ch 3 (count as first dc), 2 dc in ring.ch 1. (3 dc in ring, ch1)5 times;join with slip st to first dc: 18 dc and 6 ch-1 sps ok i did this stitch also.

but round to says slip st in next dc, ch2 work (2-dc Cluster , ch-3 3-dc Cluster) in the same st ch 3 dc in the next ch-1 sp ch3 skip next dc *(work 3-dc Cluster,ch 3 twicein the next dc.dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 3 skip next st; repeat from * around ; join with a slip st to top of first 2-dc Cluster: when i do the round 2 st it comes out like four and not the six sides that i need and see in the picture can someone please explain to me what i am doing wrong or misunderstanding

Hi and welcome to the Ville:hook

if you re-post your question in the Crochet Help section, more people will se it and be able to reply. and tell us what pattern you are using, that will help also. :)

can't I finish anything that I start???? :shrug I think I have a serious problem. I have an afghan that I started on 3 years ago!!! I have 2 scarves, yes scarves that I have put aside since before Christmas and then I have the nerve to come online and look for more patterns!:2blush I need help! I do more looking for patterns and dreaming then I actually do crocheting....is there a cure for this? :think

Don't feel guilty. Those patterns seemed right when you started. As you continued they no longer provided what they did when you started. Usually when I don't finish something and start looking for other ideas(or patterns) I'm not happy(or bored) with current project. It might be that the colors just don't keep you engaged...can you add something to bring spark to those UFOs? Don't feel bad if you scrap them and start anew pattern.

:cheer

I am just sucking it up this year. No new projects till I get some old UFOS done. Not all of them, because that's unrealistic. But, I finished one last week that I started January 2009, and will have another done next week that I started in March. Can I say I hate sc? that's why I set it aside. But knowing I am three nights closer now to having it done makes me feel great. I still have two or three more to go, but I think I have enough momentum from getting these two really big UFOs done that I can detour on a new, small project and still come back to the uFOs and get them done. Yea! Patty

I have this problem too. The only items I ever actually get finished are things I am making for a very specific reason and have a deadline. If it's just something that would be nice to have, for myself, well they take me forever. I have a 63 square afghan halfway completed and I've worked on it off and on for 4 or 5 years now. I still want it, but it's not an urgent thing, so it gets pushed aside when something more pressing comes up. Which with my family seems to be every month. I'm fortunate that I have family who appreciate and love homemade gifts and really admire my talent. It's wonderful, but it does tend to limit my ability to make anything for myself.

I usually have several projects going at a time. I have several UFO's that need finished. I am trying to do that this year. I think we have like cpo--- crochet pattern disorder that compels us to start new patterns.

I am hoping they will come up with a medication for this shortly. lol.

To be honest, life gets in the way of my projects. Babies are born and people marry or graduate and I have to make afghans for the occasion and that puts my other projects on the back burner.

Some day all will be finished.....;)

:hug

ok all i have all you beat i started a quiet book for church for my oldest boy back in the days he was i think 9 months old and it aint finished yet here is the kicker that was 1980 and he is 30 this year lol still in the gift book on the shelf to be finished lol maybe by the time he decides to have kids i will have finished lol got the cover of the book done with his name on it does that count for points that was in the 1983 everything in the the box to finish do you think he would want now lol he is in the navy a quiet book for the boat it would fit in the sea bag lol

The solution for me was to only make things that are small so I don't loose focus and just put the project down. I make simple sweaters for my kids and now that I'm pregnant I'm making baby stuff like booties, hats, sweaters, bibs, pants. Little things where I'm done fast.

ok all i have all you beat i started a quiet book for church for my oldest boy back in the days he was i think 9 months old and it aint finished yet here is the kicker that was 1980 and he is 30 this year lol still in the gift book on the shelf to be finished lol maybe by the time he decides to have kids i will have finished lol got the cover of the book done with his name on it does that count for points that was in the 1983 everything in the the box to finish do you think he would want now lol he is in the navy a quiet book for the boat it would fit in the sea bag lol

:lol:laughrollOk you have me beat for now....but I'll probably end up doing the same thing! I'm glad to know that I am not alone in this and yes there should be a 12 step program!

LOL. I thought my project that I started in 1993 would be an oldie, but I've been beat! Does it count that I can only work on it when it is really cold, and it is hardly cool here much less cold? (Thick afghan started when I lived in the cold climate, now I live in hot hot AZ and it is on a shelf in my bedroom except for a month or two...it might be finished by the time my 2 year old goes to college.)

LOL. I thought my project that I started in 1993 would be an oldie, but I've been beat! Does it count that I can only work on it when it is really cold, and it is hardly cool here much less cold? (Thick afghan started when I lived in the cold climate, now I live in hot hot AZ and it is on a shelf in my bedroom except for a month or two...it might be finished by the time my 2 year old goes to college.)

aaaaah i have the 4rd son stationed there and he calls to tell us he is freezing a whole 78 down there sent pictures to him now tell me its cold lol minus 12 in the wind lol i dont think so lol

I think I have crochet ADD when it comes to completing projects sometimes. I also do more pattern hunting than crocheting :lol

But like someone said, when you have an FO it is a wonderful feeling. I am trying to do smaller projects, so I can achieve that more often. But occasionally I just want to try for larger ones. 80-90% eventually turn into an FO but 10% of them I never get back to & they sit lonely in a rubbermaid box.

Watching a movie you really enjoy... and work on the projects you are hesitant to continue. That's what I do with an afghan I started at the end of July that I'm STILL working on. Supposed to be a present for my sister's wedding... they got married July 3rd of last year. :-/ but I just put on some law & order SVU and crochet away.

My sister is the same way...she's a good crocheter, but she'll get about a quarter of the way through a project and then she'll just kind of stop. She may or may not pick it back up. I think she just gets tired of not seeing any "progress" on the bigger projects.

I usually crochet while I'm watching TV...I'll put on a show or movie I like and just kind of use it as background noise as I work. Also, if you have friends who crochet or knit, see if they'd want to get together once a month for snacks and crocheting. I have two friends who I crochet with about once or twice a month and we have a ton of fun and we usually get a decent amount of work done.

Archived