Stiff-brimmed hat

CrochetDad

I wanted to have a hat with a stiff (not floppy) brim. I wanted to use something that would hold the shape of the brim, so I came up with the idea of using the nylon "string" that my lawn edge trimmer uses. It turned out well, I think (more pictures in my Flickr - see my signature for the link):

post-13211-135897489891_thumb.jpg

post-13211-135897489893_thumb.jpg

What a great solution...was it difficult to work with? You look very stylish! :)

I wouldn't say any more difficult than other mediums I've crocheted around (like my hoop earrings).

I had to wrap it double to get the support I wanted. I've been wearing it everyday since I made it and it's working out well - the brim snaps back to shape, and the top of the crown keeps it shape. I crochet around the "string", actually more like a cord. The size I used (.065 in diameter) wasn't stiff enough, that's why I doubled it. I might try to look for a stiffer version. I believe the trimmer string comes in stiffer versions.

• 5 months later...
Im new to crochetville but where did you find the pattern?

At the time I made this hat, I worked it as I went, without a pattern. I've since developed a pattern. Hint: check my signature...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived