Alpaca yarn has no memory??

I've only been crocheting for 2 1/2 years, and I haven't used a wide variety of yarns, other than RH, Caron, etc., and some baby yarns. I saw a pattern online for a cute beanie hat. It was done in Alpaca yarn, and the pattern said that Alpaca has no memory. This may seem like a silly question, but what is Alpaca yarn? And what do they mean, "no memory" ? :think

Your post caught my eye because I recently made a scarf out of alpaca. I googled around and found this http://www.alpacaheritage.com/fiber.html

which explains what "memory" is and also talks about alpacas. this writer says alpaca does have memory, but I saw several other references that said it doesn't. My scarf hasn't been worn yet so I don't know if it will stretch out, but it does seem to have some elasticity to it.

Alpaca Yarn is just a yarn made from the hair of an Alpaca ( A really goofy looking animal). It's super soft and Oh so beautiful.

By no Memory I think they mean hold. Acrylic yarn keeps it's shape really well without a lot of work. Alpaca I think will not keep it's shape. I might be wrong though.

Our neighbors have quite a few alpacas. She makes some of the prettiest alpaca teddy bears. Alpacas seem pretty friendly. At least if I'm riding my horse by. They just dart for the fence and start making weird noises and then my horse really wants to join them. lol

Julee

I met some alpaca this past Saturday at the Southwest Fiber Festival in Amado, Arizona. The alpaca breeder said that alpaca has no memory, which is why she blends her alpaca with another fiber. Straight from the breeder's mouth.

They also told me that a very strict registry is kept in the US of breeding alpaca, involving DNA testing. WHo knew? :think

And yes, the alpaca yarn was gorgeous and no, I didn't buy any (because I am hoping to buy my new car tomorrow! Keep your fingers crossed!). Maybe at next year's festival.

Patty

Having no memory means that this yarn will stretch and not move back into its original shape. For example if you knit/crochet a scarf from just a skein of alpaca wool and let it hang from a hook it will triple in length and unlike most yarns it will not move back into its original shape. You have to be careful on how you take care of it. On the other hand alpaca wool is one of the most luxurious yarn out there.

i made a hat and a scarf last year out of 100% alpaca. i have had no issues at all with it. the hat didn't get all wonky. it still fits fine. i have even washed it (hand washed) and it's still fine.

Having no memory means that this yarn will stretch and not move back into its original shape. For example if you knit/crochet a scarf from just a skein of alpaca wool and let it hang from a hook it will triple in length and unlike most yarns it will not move back into its original shape. You have to be careful on how you take care of it. On the other hand alpaca wool is one of the most luxurious yarn out there.

I made a sweater from it several years ago. I find it to be extremely stretchy and deceptively thicker than what it appears to be. However, my sweater reverts to his smaller shape after each and every wearing. I guess when I heard it had no memory, I thought the exact opposite that you did -- I thought it might mean that it would always go back to its original shape because it had no memory of the new shape. :lol

AlpacaSweaterVest

MaryPat,

Love the sweater. I never thought I could use Alpaca because I'mallergic to wool, but recently read that just the opposite is true and it is very hypoallergenic. True??? Since I read that I'm really wanting to try some, maybe after I get my WIP's finished (sometime this century) I'll go for it.

I have never used alpaca, but it's so interesting to read about different yarns.

Being as the yarn (alpaca) has the same name as the animal (alpaca), reading through this thread makes it sound as if the ANIMALS themselves have no memory :lol

MaryPat, your sweater is beautifully made, and if this alpaca is all it's cracked up to be, it must be scrumptiously snuggly to wear!

MaryPat,

I never thought I could use Alpaca because I'mallergic to wool, but recently read that just the opposite is true and it is very hypoallergenic. True??? Since I read that I'm really wanting to try some, maybe after I get my WIP's finished (sometime this century) I'll go for it.

Many people allergic to wool are actually allergic to the lanolin in the wool. If alpaca doesn't have lanolin, you should be fine. Might be worth petting some at the LYS to see if you have any skin reaction. It is expensive, so it could be an expensive experiment to buy and bring home and then discover that you are allergic to alpaca, as well.

But it sure is beautiful! Patty

MaryPat,

Love the sweater. I never thought I could use Alpaca because I'mallergic to wool, but recently read that just the opposite is true and it is very hypoallergenic. True??? Since I read that I'm really wanting to try some, maybe after I get my WIP's finished (sometime this century) I'll go for it.

Regretfully I have yet to find a wool I'm not allergic to. Even ones that are supposed to be allergy friendly. I can only wear this sweater on top of a long sleeved blouse. Even then, I can feel it after a couple of hours.

Wow! I should have checked back here again sooner. I didn't know there were all these responses. Thank you everyone for all the info. I had no clue. I'd never even heard or seen the word 'alpaca'. I had no idea it was an animal.:shrug:think I thought it was just a name for a fancy yarn. :lol Alpaca is probably really expensive? Reading all this about it makes me think it is. I'm trying to find a really soft yarn to make a small... I don't know what to call it. About the size of a small baby blanket. I have a nerve disorder in my foot, and it hurts all the time. I can't cover it with blankets or even put a sock on it.:eek I thought if I found a really soft yarn, I could make a little "blankie" to cover it with. Most of the time it is warm here, but my foot gets cold sometimes with the A/C on. And sometimes during the winter the nights are a little chilly. I'm on disability, so if it is too expensive, maybe I can try a soft baby yarn. I saw the picture of the alpaca. He is kind of goofy looking, but he's kind of cute, too. He does look all snuggly soft and warm!

I made a sweater from it several years ago. I find it to be extremely stretchy and deceptively thicker than what it appears to be. However, my sweater reverts to his smaller shape after each and every wearing. I guess when I heard it had no memory, I thought the exact opposite that you did -- I thought it might mean that it would always go back to its original shape because it had no memory of the new shape. :lol

AlpacaSweaterVest

Beautiful sweater, MaryPat! :)

yes, alpaca is very expensive. i got my yarn at an alpaca farm. it was $18 a hank. it was super thin yarn so i had to double it up to make my hat and scarf. it took 4 skeins to make the hat and scarf with a little ball of scrap left over. i think there was 200 yards in each hank if memory serves me correctly.

so it was around $80! but....the yarn was a gift so i didn't feel so guilty about it.

i was just at joanns and there is a brand (is it lions brand? i can't remember) that has an alpaca blend. they had a swatch hanging there and it was very soft. it was close to my 100% alpaca. that is much more afordable.

I have an alpaca/merino blend in my stash that is scrumptiously soft and I'm sure very warm. Wish I had it right now cuz it's cold in this office! Anyway, it was $5.50 for 110 yards so while not priced like a cheapo acrylic, it's not terribly expensive either. I could make a shawl, scarf, hat, gloves, etc. and not break the bank.

eta: my yarn is worsted weight

Archived