Ravelry Question

If you are a member of Ravelry, do you read the forums also? What forum for Crochet do you usually go to?

There are tons and I want to read more of what crocheters are doing but I do not know where to start there.

I love Crochetville but we need more people posting!

I don't read the forums at Ravelry. I find it hard enough to stay current here.

For me, to stay current with what other people are doing in crochet.....I search the patterns for crochet, or go to a particular yarn and just search the crochet patterns. If you also just go to the patterns tab, under personalize, click crochet. You can see the most active and the most recently posted patterns.

I get in a lot of trouble over there....I see so many new things that I want to try!

I wouldn't suggest looking through the forums so much as finding a good group and then subscribe to it. That way you can always see what people are up to and you can make sure it is specifically crochet related.

I wouldn't suggest looking through the forums so much as finding a good group and then subscribe to it. That way you can always see what people are up to and you can make sure it is specifically crochet related.

Yea, what Candice said. :cheer

:turtle:vheart

If you are a member of Ravelry, do you read the forums also? What forum for Crochet do you usually go to?

There are tons and I want to read more of what crocheters are doing but I do not know where to start there.

I love Crochetville but we need more people posting!

I read some forums on Ravelry. The biggest crochet group is Crochet on Ravelry and it seems to be the most focused on crocheting, and less on opinions, if that makes any sense.

I haven't found anything on Ravelry to compare to the show&tell threads here, where you can easily view people's projects and comment/ask questions etc, and have a whole conversation about the piece. But I look at people's projects that they have shared in the groups I belong to, and I enjoy looking at my friends' activity to see what people have favorited and projects they've posted.

I'm curious why you say Crochetville needs more people posting? It seems to me to be very active :compute and lots of new people join every day :)

I suspect she means the Crochetville group on Ravelry is kind of quiet, but that's because we're all here! I agree, sharing projects is easier here, but I also love the pattern or yarn search options on Ravelry. That's why, for me anyway, the two complement each other so well. Ravelry is the research arm for me, Crochetville the social/sharing arm.

I read some forums on Ravelry. The biggest crochet group is Crochet on Ravelry and it seems to be the most focused on crocheting, and less on opinions, if that makes any sense.

I haven't found anything on Ravelry to compare to the show&tell threads here, where you can easily view people's projects and comment/ask questions etc, and have a whole conversation about the piece. But I look at people's projects that they have shared in the groups I belong to, and I enjoy looking at my friends' activity to see what people have favorited and projects they've posted.

I'm curious why you say Crochetville needs more people posting? It seems to me to be very active :compute and lots of new people join every day :)

I understand what she means about Crochetville. If you happen to check the forums multiple times a day, there isn't usually much new activity. It's great if you only check once a day or even less frequently. The thing I love though is the quality of the posting. This is, by far, my favorite forum to visit...and I visit many, on many different subjects. Everyone here is so friendly, helpful and it's just a wonderful community. Not to mention all the awesome ideas and inspiring projects going on. I get a lot of encouragement when I feel stuck in a rut with my crochet.

I suspect she means the Crochetville group on Ravelry is kind of quiet, but that's because we're all here! I agree, sharing projects is easier here, but I also love the pattern or yarn search options on Ravelry. That's why, for me anyway, the two complement each other so well. Ravelry is the research arm for me, Crochetville the social/sharing arm.

I see what you mean about the Ville group on Ravelry; actually I don't even belong to it---maybe I should but it just seems redundant since I am here so much! And I agree with you about how Ravelry and Crochetville complement each other!

I understand what she means about Crochetville. If you happen to check the forums multiple times a day, there isn't usually much new activity. It's great if you only check once a day or even less frequently. The thing I love though is the quality of the posting. This is, by far, my favorite forum to visit...and I visit many, on many different subjects. Everyone here is so friendly, helpful and it's just a wonderful community. Not to mention all the awesome ideas and inspiring projects going on. I get a lot of encouragement when I feel stuck in a rut with my crochet.

I'm here multiple times a day and usually find new things throughout the day that are of interest. I heartily agree with you about the quality of postings, and the positive, encouraging community here!

I'm the same way with Ravelry as most of you who have posted on this thread. I love the ability to quickly find a pattern that I had seen in passing somewhere else. You can really zero in your search. In addition, the ability to organize your projects, stash, library, etc is great over there. I also enjoy the ability to get very specific yarn info.

However...there is no place like Crochetville for interacting with like-minded people!

The Crochetville forum on Ravelry was created mainly as a way to make it easier for Villagers to find other Villagers on Ravelry. A few conversations take place over there, which is absolutely fine. It was never intended to be a forum with lots of conversations taking place.

We certainly hope most Villagers will want to continue to have the majority of their Crochetville conversations take place here on our own actual site. :)

I agree :yes with everyone about being here on the ville. If I don't visit here I really miss it. I'm a member of Ravelry but haven't been back there in almost a year. When I first became a member I found it hard to find my way around and I just eventually stopped going there. It's much easier and friendlier here. I really love the cals even though I mostly just lurk in several. I don't think anything else is better than our ville. :yes

The Crochetville forum on Ravelry was created mainly as a way to make it easier for Villagers to find other Villagers on Ravelry. A few conversations take place over there, which is absolutely fine. It was never intended to be a forum with lots of conversations taking place.

We certainly hope most Villagers will want to continue to have the majority of their Crochetville conversations take place here on our own actual site. :)

I love the idea of being able to catalog everything on Ravelry, and the only way to spend time sipping a cup of tea that's more enjoyable than reading through the show and tell's here at Crochetville is to sip tea looking through the finished projects on Ravelry, however, I don't like the fact that you have to join a forum to post there. What if you just want to post a comment about something specific and don't want to constantly post in that forum? I love Crochetville because you're free to post wherever you want about whatever the topic is, and if you're a member of a site, then that membership should qualify you to go anywhere on that site without having to divide every little section into another membership. To me, it's too complicated. Crochetville is easy to navigate, it's friendly, and it's a cozy place to be. It's like shopping at the perfect boutique that has everything as opposed to floundering around the world's biggest mall.

I agree with you.

I check Ravelry for new patterns or when im searching for patterns or ideas to use with a certain yarn etc. It's also a great place to purchase patterns, but have found it too difficult to use or keep current with groups/forums there unless I want to read on some specific search I did.

I found that some groups let you use a rssfeed and in mozilla that puts it directly into my browser, so there are other options, but they are just too much hassle. I find much better help, info ,pictures, ideas here. The different places have diff purposes for me.

I don't like the fact that you have to join a forum to post there. What if you just want to post a comment about something specific and don't want to constantly post in that forum? I love Crochetville because you're free to post wherever you want about whatever the topic is, and if you're a member of a site, then that membership should qualify you to go anywhere on that site without having to divide every little section into another membership.

Just so you know, you don't have to join a group to post. You're allowed to post in any group. When you do, you will have *guest in group listed under your name. If you want to comment, you're able to do so and never come back or come back and reply again.

When you do join a group, it is not a 'membership' as in filling out more forms and stuff. You just click a button that says "join this group".

That's it. You're in. And you get a cool little badge thing that goes under your profile name.

Really it's not much different than joinging the subscribe groups here at Crochetville. You have to go click some buttons to join those.

So just think of the groups there as subscribed forums.

I like it because it is like a "mall". Rather than being a specific little boutique. Yes I can start topics in the off topic that pertain to my non crochet interests. However at Raverly I can join a group that has a lot more members with that same interest.

Both places have their pluses and minuses.

:)

Archived