question about squares

I'm new to making squares. Question...if i keep going to make it an afghan size, will it work out ok? will it lay flat? or are they just made for smaller sizes like 8" or 12"?

i do not want to make a bunch of squares and sew them together. i'd like to make just one big square for an afghan.

You can make a giant granny square or rectangle if you want. They look better if you turn your work after every round -no right & wrong side, and they are 'squarer'. As they get bigger they tend to skew (a little) if you don't turn them.

There are also techniques to join the squares as you go, something to think about . And, you can join without sewing too.

You can make a giant granny square or rectangle if you want. They look better if you turn your work after every round -no right & wrong side, and they are 'squarer'. As they get bigger they tend to skew (a little) if you don't turn them.

There are also techniques to join the squares as you go, something to think about . And, you can join without sewing too.

Exactly. It's a LOT easier to get a granny square to grow into a square afghan than it is to make a round ripple without having it get wavy. With the round ripples you have to change the number of stitches in your points every other row to get it to lay flat. With a granny square, you just keep going, doing all the corners the same way, and it will still lay flat.

some motifs/squares are just designed to be a certain size. others can be made larger easily.

granny square has been mentioned. you can chain as large as you like and then use a stitch to go back and forth to build it. I'm wanting to make an afghan for myself using the seed stitch, aka up/down stitch. just depends on what design you want to do.

sandy

The first blankets that I made years ago were one large granny square. I just kept going until I was done. I used varigated yarn for a baby and I had a nice gift when it was done. I put a scalloped edge around it in white. I does look better to turn your work over after each round so it will stay square and have no wrong side. This is a good way to practice your stitches. :hook

I didn't know about turning each round either! Thanks.

One of my first crochet projects a long time ago was a giant granny square afghan. Wish I had known then about turning each round. I agree, always learning something new on Crochetville.

When I first learned how to crochet that was all I made was granny square afghans. Just one big granny square but I never turned it after each round. That is something new to me. I will have to try it the next time. Everyone is right. You can learn something new here at Crochetville each and every day. And I just love that!!!! :manyheart :manyheart :hug :hug

Archived