Call me nuts but.....

I REALLY want to make my own sweater. I have a pattern for a bolero it's but I failed haha..... So I decided I'll try again later! I'm making a blanket lol

I still have crotcheted gifts that were given to me years ago from grandma and a really nice lady that was an artist. She crochet a scarf, some gloves and a sweater. It doesn't fit me anymore but I still want to keep it because it's really pretty. But I still think a handmade wearable is warmer than anything in the stores.

I still have a cardigan that I need to finish but need some help piecing it together plus a beret that I need help with. At some point I want to make socks for myself hmmmmmm?

I still have a cardigan that I need to finish but need some help piecing it together ....

I've made a number of cardigans that had to be pieced together. I hesitate to admit I found a lot of knitting write-ups that were very helpful on how to join pieces with invisible seams. The only crochet tips I found for joining a cardigan were in old issues of Magic Crochet magazine.

I want to make the sweater in the latest Crochet World magazine. And, I want to try the yarn it's made in. But, until all the baby things for my great grandson are made, it will have to wait.

There is a nice pullover pattern in the Oct. Crochet World. But, I live in FLorida, not much call for bulky sweaters down here. Maybe if I make it in cotton .....?

Oh, and Heavenly Purple .. since you asked .... You're NUTS! (But we love ya!)

I started a knee length sweater. I have the front and back done. Now I just have to lose 10 more pounds to fit in it. I just can't seem to find the heart to do the sleeves when it doesn't fit.

I don't think you're crazy at all- you just want to stretch beyond what you already know. It's an awesome thing. You'll get tons of support (and help, too if you need it) here.

This is interesting timing... I bought a kit for a knitted cable sweater but I am rethinking this. I am now planning to make a crochet sweater with the yarn. I may have to get more yarn but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I have decided that I will design a sweater for myself that is worked in one piece up to the armholes and then divided. I hate sewing any more seams than I need to if I can avoid it. i want the look of a bulky cable cardigan with a shawl collar without 7 years of knitting to get it.

I will share the pattern at 2X size when I get it done. My instructions will be more of a how to than a stitch by stitch guide so it should be adaptable to other sizes - if you trust your inner :crocheting:rofl

I started a knee length sweater. I have the front and back done. Now I just have to lose 10 more pounds to fit in it. I just can't seem to find the heart to do the sleeves when it doesn't fit.

I don't think you're crazy at all- you just want to stretch beyond what you already know. It's an awesome thing. You'll get tons of support (and help, too if you need it) here.

I second this. You know when I was 11 I learned to crochet. When I was around 15, I started making wearable, through knit, crochet and sewing. Alot of what I did was just looking at garments I already had and using those measurements to make things fit me. I had one short sleeved cardi that others liked so much that they wanted me to make it for them. And that cardi was my own design. That was a seriously big deal to a 15 year old.

My first love with crocheting is making wearables. And the big difference now over what I did at 15, and now 35 years later is that I am best friends with my tape measure. Many things I've done over the years have been through trial and error. That's how you learn and grow your craft. The consistent flaw in most of my mistakes have been in measurements.

There are so many wonderful ideas and patterns out there, but whatever you decide to do, take good measurements of yourself first. Or take an existing garment you have that fits you well and use that as a guide. Do not take any patterns instructions for your size as gospel...double check. Don't be afraid of frogging if something's not right. There is something to be said for doing a gauge swatch before hand. Hold pieces up to yourself to see how things are progressing...does it look like you'll have to increase the pattern more than what the pattern calls for? I know it can sound scary and all, but with practice, you'll knock out a garment (thinking of sweaters here) that will fit, that will be comfortable and end up being one of your favorites.

I will say this also, I don't mind working in pieces for a sweater, but when I first used a sweater (actually a jacket pattern that is still one of my favorites to wear after I think 5 years) that was made from the top down or neck down, it was a revelation. It was easy to adjust to make larger than the pattern specified (I have monster upper arms) and it was all one piece and didn't require seaming...I've made several similar patterns since then and love those types of sweater patterns.

For me there is a big sense of freedom being able to figure out how to custom fit patterns to make wearables that end up being my favorites. Make me feel like a million bucks when I wear them because the sleeves hit my wrist where they should, instead of being too long and I have to roll them up.

Take a risk. If a sweater is too daunting, learn to make mittens first (my first mittens were like 5 or 6 years ago and I cannot tell you how excited I was after making my first pair) or learn socks...those are small items. Or a poncho, Or a hat...

My last wearable mistake was this really cute jacket that was in SNB Crochet. I broke my own rule about measurements. The jacket was too big for me and just never quite fit right, now matter how much tweaking I did to it. Just looked sloppy. Well, no real harm, no foul because apparently I wasn't really making it for me. I had a good friend try it on and it fit her so I gave it to her and she was over the moon. Still good lesson at the time that I had to follow my own rules with wearables...do measurements and double and triple check throughout the making of a wearable for myself.

I plan to make 25 seperate items for the 2010 county fair next year.I am trying to recieve the Premier Exhibitor in the Textile department. We just had the fair the week of August the 9th. I have two items finsished so far for it both patterns I found as a result of joining this site.

Thats the hard part is selecting JUST 25 patterns! At least in this thread I can work out the sweater entry Thanks for the insites on making garments!

Off I go to stitch some more

Archived