Rugs, should I or shouldn't I ???

I'm thinking about making some rugs for my kitchen for by the sink and in front of the back doors (door to porch and for the french doors). I having a tough time deciding if it is worth making them or is it better to buy rugs.

I have found some crochet patterns I really like as opposed to finding rugs in the stores that I like just as well.

Are crocheted rugs any slippery(er) than regular store bought rag throw rugs that don't have a backing?

I like the fact that crocheted rugs would probably wash better than store bought.

What about the yarn? Is it better to use a rug yarn, or is it pretty much the same to use double strands of worsted weight? What about fiber... cotton???

Store bought rugs are so expensive, and I just don't want to settle on a rug design that I don't really like, but is all I can find.

I've pretty much talked myself into making my own, but... want to hear some feed back on those of you who make your kitchen rugs that get a lot of traffic on them.

Thanks

I've made several rugs out of acrylics for use in my kitchen and you're right, they do get a lot of traffic. None have held up and they are slippery and can be downright dangerous. I purchased a rug at Target with the rubber backing and I found I like that best, for the kitchen that is. I haven't tried cotton for the bathroom yet. I may just like something like that. I've also heard about felted rugs and that may be something I'll try in the future. There's got to be some kind of tape or something I could put on the back of a felted rug to keep it from being slippery but IMO, I wouldn't even bother to do that with an acrylic because it just didn't hold up to the traffic it got.

You can buy a product that is similiar to rubbery shelf lining that you can cut to size and put under a rug. We have it under a 8 ft long runner in our front hallway and it does not move at all. Ours was purchased at Kohl's in the rug section.

I've made several rugs out of acrylics for use in my kitchen and you're right, they do get a lot of traffic. None have held up and they are slippery and can be downright dangerous.

That's what I was afraid of.

I've made a lot of rugs to use up yarn. I've posted the pattern here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76662

The ones I like best are 6 strands of worsted weight. They are very bouncy and very soft. I have one of my kitchen floor -- it doesn't shift, but if I were concerned, I'd buy the no slip fabric someone else mentioned.

Here's the pic of my older ones.

ScrapRugs

for help with the slipping...... you can dot/decorate the bottom with puff paint found in the craft department of stores. works great on the bottom of slippers too!

:heart

:mug

I became addicted to crocheting rugs. The slip rug does work. I have them everywhere. Kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, deck, front door, back door. They are easy and very rewarding. Have fun.:manyheart

I'm getting ready to make some crochet yarn rugs for our bathroom, but you know you can crochet rugs from fabric strips too. And I actually I have an article coming out on HandmadeNews.org today that talks about different crochet materials. I can post a link when it's up, if you want. :hook

I've been considering crocheting rugs from fleece remnants. It's soft, washable & there's a good variety of colors. Just not sure if there's a certain way to cut the fabric because it stretches - so cut on the bias or not. That's a project for after Christmas though.

I've made a lot of rugs to use up yarn. I've posted the pattern here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=76662

The ones I like best are 6 strands of worsted weight. They are very bouncy and very soft. I have one of my kitchen floor -- it doesn't shift, but if I were concerned, I'd buy the no slip fabric someone else mentioned.

Here's the pic of my older ones.

ScrapRugs

Now I know what I can use my S Hook for. I just had to have that hook a couple years ago and haven't used it yet.

Has anyone tried the new Craft and Rug yarn at Herrschners? The description in the catalog states that it wears like iron. I'm going to give it try with their Country Rag Rug.

I pulled up the Lions Brands patterns. Very nice, too!

Archived