Market Bag

quietheart

I did this to help another Crochet villager, I don't like it, but I shared the pics in that thread and figured I would share it here as well. My reasons for not liking it:

The picture included with the pattern is extremely misleading until you see it made.

The bag is wider than it is deep when empty and the handles are extremely far apart (you can see this in the picture now that I said it, they had to hold the handles far apart to open up the bag for the picture , you cant even see the other handle hardly at all, where most bags have the handles close together).

I could add more than 20 inches to the length but then it will hold too much to be functional because it is so wide because it stretches a great deal more than most.

I also hate, hate hate, market bag handles that have to be sewn on. That is just an accident waiting to happen no matter how careful you are.

If i did it again Id do less than the initial chain to make it not as wide and do different handles for better strength.

Just finished, not used yet:

Market Bag 01

Stuffed:

Market Bag 02

Post Stuffed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32134202@N07/3698871983/in/photostream/

hmmmm...I've never seen that pattern, I don't think I'd like it either. I like the one I did from that site, but this one just doesn't look like anything I would use!!!

I can imagine how frustrating it must be when a project doesn't turn out as expected -I see your points, Quietheart, and agree that this tote's "hammock" shape is not something that is readily apparent looking at the pattern's photo (lacks written dimensions, as well). For what it's worth, I do see that there is an option to leave a project review if you're so inclined; to give a heads-up to future crafters.

Despite the drawbacks, your workmanship is beautiful and your color-choice, so cheerful and bright; there just has to be another use more suitable to this tote's design, perhaps a suspended catchall for stuffed toys and such in a child's room?

Thank you for sharing your experience. :hug

I can imagine how frustrating it must be when a project doesn't turn out as expected -I see your points, Quietheart, and agree that this tote's "hammock" shape is not something that is readily apparent looking at the pattern's photo (lacks written dimensions, as well). For what it's worth, I do see that there is an option to leave a project review if you're so inclined; to give a heads-up to future crafters.

Despite the drawbacks, your workmanship is beautiful and your color-choice, so cheerful and bright; there just has to be another use more suitable to this tote's design, perhaps a suspended catchall for stuffed toys and such in a child's room?

Thank you for sharing your experience. :hug

For all of it's failings, the bag is GINORMOUS! *giggle*

So it would be very good for a bag for childs toys maybe hanging in a closet or off the wall , hammock etc.

And some might like it for a beach bag, it will easily hold several towels (like 4 or 5) etc.

But the pattern when read gave no "clear" idea of what it would look like and when you begin it, it looks nothing like a bag, it "twirls"... hence why I made it to help another crocheter who was confused. heh.

But you are probably right, I probably should leave a review.

Thank you for your kind words! :)

Hugs

Kath

I like it!:) This would be a great bag to carry back and forth to the beach! All those sandy toys could be rinsed and dripped dryed while walking back to where you are staying on vacation.

I love the pattern and you did a great job.

I also agree it's too wide. Narrow and taller would be a nice market bag.

But the ideas to still use this bag is great. Beach page. Swim wear bag (when wet). Toy hammock. Maybe even a laundry bag (I use a too large market bag to carry my detergent and softerners and crochet project to the laudnry mat).

I also hate, hate hate, market bag handles that have to be sewn on. That is just an accident waiting to happen no matter how careful you are.

:think I don't think I'd make that bag, either. It looks a bit awkward to carry....

But I have to disagree about the handles thing. I've made several bags and sewn on the handles without any problem whatesoever. Some materials work bettter for this than others....cotton is good, as long as you do a careful job of getting it sewn down. I prefer to stitch the handles on if I'm using nylon. I've done acrylic both ways. I like patterns that have the handles integrated into the design, but sometimes that isn't possible...then you just have to be meticulous about sewing them on well. :yarn

You know it looks like it would be a good pouch to hang on the back of a car seat for kids toys or tissues and wipes maybe because its wide and easy to get into.

I like it. I see what you mean, it does look a little strange, but I think the wide, shallow body lends itself to the stretching you have when filled, yet the wide mouth top allows for easy access. You don't have a small opening at the top and then have to dig way down into a long, narrow body to reach an item. That's one of the things I don't like about most of the market bag patterns I've seen, I think the bodies get too long on most of them when filled.

I like patterns that have the handles integrated into the design, but sometimes that isn't possible...then you just have to be meticulous about sewing them on well. :yarn

No you don't *giggle* You just don't use the pattern or change it to put more secure handles on it. You never "have to" in crochet.

Ive seen too many beautiful bags ruined by sewn handles, sewing stitches arent made to stretch the way the bag does so they take more abuse than the bag. Im glad you've had good success though, but I don't waste my time on bags that I have to sew the handles if I cant see a way to integrate the handle or have a handle that goes under the bottom.

Hugs

Kath

You know it looks like it would be a good pouch to hang on the back of a car seat for kids toys or tissues and wipes maybe because its wide and easy to get into.

That's a very good idea.

But my kids are 20 and 24 *laugh*

But I am loving all the ideas for other people doing the bag, it definitely is not represented in the picture so we need other uses for it.

I like it. I see what you mean, it does look a little strange, but I think the wide, shallow body lends itself to the stretching you have when filled, yet the wide mouth top allows for easy access. You don't have a small opening at the top and then have to dig way down into a long, narrow body to reach an item. That's one of the things I don't like about most of the market bag patterns I've seen, I think the bodies get too long on most of them when filled.

Yeah it stretches more than any market bag I've seen, too, so you really get a ton of room in it (which can be good or bad depending on how you want to use it).

Archived