What's the trick to Boucle'?

Keiyla

Question

:help I have some very pretty Bernat Soft Boucle, and some heavenly soft Moda Dea "Beloved" but I can't figure out how to crochet with either of them! The yarns are calling themselves "Bulky weight" but even when I use the recommended J hook, I can't find the holes in the chains that I'm supposed to stich into! Is there a trick to using these textured yarns?

I just can't figure it out! :cry

18 answers to this question

I had the same problem at first too! I'm using Boucle for the first time, I found a bunch of the Straw color on clearance at JoAnns for $2.00 a skien there was NO way I could pass it up, heh.

It's a beautiful yarn that works up all nice and poofy no matter what hook you use. I've ruined a good length of it trying different stitches and hooks to see what look I liked best for a shrug I want to make with it. Whew frogging with this yarn will definately try your patience!! :sweat All those pretty lil nubs and loops catch on _everything_!

I'm using K currently but I've seen some pattern use a G (the star crossed capelet/skirt) :eek The loops are definately hard to find, especially in the beginning chain. Make sure to do this _very loose_. I found that keeping a E hook around to poke and enlarge the loop a bit really helped. After the first row was done it wasn't as hard, the loops at the top of my single crochets were bigger and easier to find then the base chain.

Just on a whim I tried Tunisian Clusters with in on a P hook and it looks pretty cool. Very light and fluffy, it would make a nice fall decorative scarf I think. :)

on the subject of this yarn... does anyone know what projects in this yarn look like after a washing? The label says: machine wash 2 minutes, spin dry, tumble dry low heat 5 minutes.

does it get fuzzier? will the fibers pull closer or farther apart? :think

Thank you all VERY much for the responses! I'll have to find a good project for the Boucle using a big hook! I was *hoping* to make a charity hat or something with the Moda Dea, because it's so soft I thought it would be great for babies or chemo patients.

I'll keep trying. I am inspired by the patience you've all expressed about working with boucle', how could I do less? :D

it's about light and touch....

i'm at the end of a gigantic afghan in the RH light and lofty - UGH!!

now that i'm used to it, this is one of my favorite things to work on during a movie, because i don't have to look at it hardly at all

in the beginning of it, i worked in direct sunlight:sun

I shine a bright light on the yarn. I have one of those goose-neck type reading lamps that has a bright lamp in it. This helps, along with using the braille method.

I've found that shining a light on hard to see stitches really helps. It's good for other things, too!

~ Lori

The first time I used it I took the long slow road of marking each stitch after I made it with a small brass safety pin. I did this for the chain and the first couple rows until the spaces started becoming more visible to sight by myself.....of course, this was the second yarn i used after just learning so my method may not only sound tedious but barbaric...but it worked:D

After reading the responses, I think the biggest trick to working with boucle is patience, patience, patience.

I have some sitting and waiting to be used but been hesitant because of other posts I've read about how difficult it is to work with--same with chenille.

If you know how to knit, I believe it is far easier on the nerves in that media. Good luck. BarbaraSD

I usually use a J or K hook. I also use the "feel around for the stitch" method that other people have been talking about. I think I read somewhere that people also just crochet into the "space between stitches" (does that make sense?) rather than trying to crochet into the stitch itself.

Two suggestions. 1. Do your beginning chain with a matching color in a smooth yarn. If it's something where you can turn the edge under so it doesn't show in the finished item, the color match doesn't matter too much. 2. Pull the stitch you're going into slightly apart as you go along. I can't describe how to do this, but experiment. Opening it slightly with your fingers will help you find where to put the hook.

Yep, a large hook. My daughter uses a K, but I would need one much larger. I stay away from those yarns, esp in dark colors, as my eyesight is not that good. But it is beautiful, soft yarn. Daughter made a granny square afghan in Lion Brand black boucle. It is gorgeous and sooooo soft. She knows I can't work with yarn and offered to make me one. Isn't she a sweetheart? :manyheart

i agree, a large hook, crochet loose, and just feel the yarn, is not my favorite way either but works good for boucle and also homespun, good luck:manyheart :hug :hug :hug :hug

I use a larger hook, have a white pillowcase under the project I'm working on (if it's a white project, then a dark pillowcase) and work in extreme lighting, then the rest is just by feel. I do this with Boucle, Homespun and Sirdar Yo-Yo and any type of black/very dark yarn. Otherwise it'll not only drive you nuts, but also blind!!!!

Archived