Sunflower Lap-Ghan

:waving... I've been :lurking for a while... :dreaming about this 'ghan. My sister's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, and she's a sunflower crazed :princess! :lol

Needless to say, I am in as of tonight... I finally found all of the yarn I will need, and was in need of a good, smaller project for :sun:hot.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally sat down this evening and made my first sunflower square. It was fast and easy. The square came out exactly on gauge as the pattern stated 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 ". It didn't take too much time to make my first square and I love the sunflower especially the middle brown of it. :lol The blue I chose for the background was a light blue at first I didn't like it but after I crochet with it, it look okay. This is a fast easy pattern and I know I am going to enjoy making these squares. This will be the first project I ever worked on where I will have to join squares together and I'm finding I like it. Now to weave in the loose ends before I make my next square which will probably be tomorrow. :hook Good Nite :hug

Cheeria -

WOW! That was quick!:cheer

I am glad to see that it will work up quickly. I needed to salvage my dark brown from a ball of 3 strand that my mom had wound and not used. It was Brown, beige and cream... anyway, I have my brown now:clap. the yellow will be RHSS Bright Yellow, with a dark green, then a light sage to match my sister's living room... DH is printing me the pattern in the morning, so I can start when I have my :coffee... I'll see you then!

:heehee my sister's gonna be sooo excited!

ok, so I am working 1 color at a time... centers are done! After dinner, I get to play sunflower yellow:clap

How was your day, Cheeria?

Is anyone else playing along?:devil

Hi everyone, now that we all ate, the dishes are washed, the kitchen is clean and ready for another day, I have a chance to sit back and make another square. I am making the complete square and I figure if and only if LOL I make one square a day, that will mean in 24 days all my squares will be made. Since this is the first crochet pattern that I am crocheting squares that have to be joined , I'm taking my time. :hook This will give me a chance to work on all my other WIP for I like giving all my WIP equal attention, for I don't want to forget about them. :lol:lol

What color is everyone using for their background color????? I'm using Vanna's yarn in the bluebell colorway. It look like a dusty sky blue. The color of the sky when the sun is real high in the sky and the sky is a light blue. I really wanted a darker blue.

Cheeria, your blue sounds so pretty! I am using a light sage, because it will match my sister's decor (she doesn't have any blue:()

Jessicagil - I hope you get to find the time to start, you were so excited about it.... when does school start?

Jessicagil - I hope you get to find the time to start, you were so excited about it.... when does school start?
August 24th. But I got a lot to do to get my oldest son a bus. They expect a 11 year old boy to walk 3 miles to school. I don't think so. He has adhd that is barely controlled by meds. I can just see the trouble he will get into now.He is going into special ed so hopefully this will help me get him a bus. They know its bus to school or homeschooling. Homeschooling will cost them more & I hope they realize that.

Hi everyone, Ooooppppsss fell asleep last night, I guess my grandbaby tired me out so I didn't get to make any squares. At the moment I am trying to make three squares. I love working on them especially changing the collors to make the sunflower and the background. Everyone's background color sounds beautiful. Well have to go back now and finish working on my squares. Talk to you all soon.

:cheer:cheer Morning, I made 2 complete squares last night and working on my square for today which I am almost finish. The squares are fun and also fast to make. Yesterday I had to pick up two more balls of the bluebell colorway of Vanna yarn. I am thankful that they were on sale 2/$4 at AC Moore. Have a great day. :hug

:cheerWTG, Cheeria! You are moving right along! :cheer

Jessica - :xfin that you get the bus figured out...:angryHow do they figure these zones out, anyway? And shouldn't there be a bus for Special Needs? :thinkCrazy!

:hug, girls... I am off to :crocheting for a while...

I am soooooo bad. :blush I had a ride to Wm today so I bought my navy yarn. I should be starting some squares by next week. I have to finish my black doilyghan before I can start even one more project. :sweat

I'll be back :wlol

Cool!!!! It will be fun to hang out with you again, Darski & HappyOldCro!:manyheart

the doilyghan sounds really neat, Darski! and Navy blue for your background? NICE!

HappyOld... what color will yours be?

Ohhh, haven't even thought of a color yet. Going to Michaels tomorrow, maybe I'll get some ideas. Must not buy yarn, just getting ideas, :lol, yeah right...

:hug Hi everyone, worked on other WIP yesterday, so while I take care of my grandbaby today I plan on making more squares. My plan is once I have 10 squares made I will begin to weave in the yarn ends. I did crochet some of the ends in but I want to secure them better. I'm not good at weaving in ends, and wonder if there's a tutorial out there to show me how to do it neater???? If anyone know of one please let me know. Thanks. I am glad to see other are joining in with us for this is really a nice and easy and relaxing pattern. Have a great day. :manyheart

Have a great weekend, all!

I am off to the Cape, and am bringing my 'ghan to work on at the beach!

I hope you get lots done, Cheeria!:hug

Jessica... how are you making out with the bus situation?

Darski - have a great weekend getting those WIPS in order so you can come and play!:clap

HappyOldCro - Did you pick your colors?

Deb - Are you making another one of your 'ghan? Kudos on the pattern... it's quick AND easy! It's a perfect take-along for the summertime:c9

Enjoy your weekend, everyone, and I'll be back Sunday night or Monday...

:ghug

Hey everyone sorry I've been away since starting this crochet along. We just moved this week across a state and are just waiting on the furniture to get here and we will be settled in. We we're able to buy us a house our first house. I'm so thrilled to see everyone joining in. I had to put mine on the back shelf during the move but am back to working on it. I've got 9 done so far before I had to stop. Ok off to do personals for everyone hope I get everyone. It only shows some. So if I don't mention you I'm not ignoring you at all.

All the newbies :welcome so glad to have you hear can't wait to see your afghans as you go along and once they are done.

Cheeria~ Way to go on getting 2 done:cheer. I agree these squares go together fast I love it!

HappyOldCro! Can't wait for you to come back and join us.

a_stitchintime~ Have a nice time at the beach.

CrochetinMama That is wonderful Praise God. I bet she will love this afghan.

Smith~ I'm not sure I believe you can print it off and make them as long as you don't sell them.

Debscrafts55 You are very talented I love your patterns. Great you ar joining in with us.

I'm using navy blue Vanna's Choice for my background, and a variety of browns and yellows, again mostly Vanna's Choice, for the flowers and centers. Still have it on the back burner though. Almost finished the wedding basketweave afghan, then I'll put the sunflowers back in my rotation of projects. I want to be able to send the wedding afghan off in the next few weeks.

I thought about doing the real Sunflower colors on a field of green, but I know me, and I will wind up getting bored with it and it would not get finished. So I decided on a cream colored background with varied colors for the flowers. This will keep me from killing my budget buying yarn, and hold my interest longer. I can even experiment with the yarns using 2 strands of sport/lace yarn to make my own shades and colors. Getting excited about this now. I am an old time granny maker, and love lots of color in my ghans, they have to shout at me, but in a tasteful way, :lol.

Hi everyone, I feel in love with sunflowers that when I was looking through dishcloth patterns for the dishcloth swap I came across a beautiful sunflower dishcloth pattern that I feel in love with. I stop working on everything and instead crocheted the sunflower dishcloth. No one had brown cotton yarn but thanksfully I found a half empty ball of brown in my stash. I'm keeping this dishcloth for myself and plan on making smaller sunflowers to go with it so I can use them to hang up on the walls of my kitchen when we move. Here is the pattern I used:

http://yarnjeanniescrochetcache.blogspot.com/2009/05/sunflower-dishcloth-and-coasters_15.html

I plan on working on my sunflower afghan today since, the dinner is done, everyone eaten and now all I have to do is straighten up the kitchen then the rest of the day is mines. Yipeeeeee :hug

Archived