Scallop Shell Bag

lacy lucy

This is the scallop shell bag from the book "Vogue crocheted bags on the go " . The pattern is by Doris Chan.

I've had this pattern for a couple of years now, but from the picture of the bag , I thought it was rather like the FBBs and I'd made way too many FBBs than was good for me . I decided to give it a miss then. After trying out a couple of Doris Chan's other patterns, I went back to this , thinking that with DC you cant go wrong.

Closer inspection showed that this pattern was nothing at all like the FBB. It is similar to DC's wearables patterns in that the bag is also worked in her trademark ( almost :) ) "top down" fashion.

I made my bag with nylon thread , so the guage is way off, but the bag is much bigger than I thought it would be.

Bags made with the shell pattern are usually very "holey" and will need some sort of lining if you dont want stuff to fall out. This pattern is unique in that DC uses the spike shell so that there are two layers that sort of over lap and make the bag less "holey".

The gussets give it an interesting shape, but that is not very clear in my pictures. As the gussets also have two layers apiece, they double up as pockets ( ideal for mobile phones )

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

The handles were salvaged from an old jute bag that my mother was throwing out. The flowers were borrowed from my dottie's craft box.

That should make her claim the bag for herself :D

Thanks for looking!

lucy

Archived