don't you hate it when..

you think you will have enough yarn to finish the project but you run out half way down the last row?

I have been teaching myself hairpin and decided I would make this gorgeous wrap that I found at Rachels CPC. (Man I love that place..)

http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdonlyres/141844B2-BB0B-434F-9802-41C2C5C6A888/114380/WR1652.pdf

I have no idea what red heart soft is, and the hairpin tool I have is a pony size 4 which is in metric. It is hard estimating the yarn as our brands are quite different down here so I bought 3 balls of a 5 ply cotton/ acrylic mix I found at Lincraft. I figured that if 2 balls bake a large scaf/ small shawl then 3 oughta do it. I have made the 5 strips and am just about finished joining the last piece and I run out of yarn. The annoying thing is that I got it in Brisbane ( about an hour north of here) and wont be up there till later next week. I wanted sooo much to finish this on this long Easter weekend.

I have become rather hooked on this hairpin stuff, and the risk is that when I go back for the final ball of yarn to finish it off, I most surely with walk out with another 4 in a different colour. :D:D

Does that ever happen to anyone else?

Yes, that happens to me. I often buy yarn on sale or at clearance prices and just put it in my stash. When I've made rr afghans, I often have to "tweak" my design as I work it and I see how the yarn supply for it is holding out. Other times when I make slippers, I often will use partial skeins of yarn from other projects. When I run out of a color making them I will substitute something close from my stash and those slippers will be for me to wear around the house. Otherwise, if I had enough yarn they would have ended up in my "gift" drawer. Is there a way you could order the yarn and have it delivered to you?

What a pretty wrap!!! I would love to see a finished picture of yours.

There are so many times when I am making a blanket and then decide to enlarge it and run out of yarn & have to go back to the store for more.

Not only do I buy more of what I am using, I somehow always find a "good buy" on something and come home with much more than I intended!!!

Oh the woes of being a crocheter !!!!

lol, I did think of buying it online however I need to make sure it is the same dyelot.

I look like Moby dick in White so I chose a royal blue for a change. I though the darker colour would be a bit more serviceable and I didnt want black as it is too hard to see.

http://lincraft.cart.net.au/details/2088826.html

When I finish I will show you all. I did make the strips shorter as I didnt want the thing flapping arround in the breeze and I couldnt fit any more loops on my hairpin thingame. I even weighed the yarn when I finished the second ball. The joining used more yarn than I estimated. Guess I will have to finish it next weekend.

I hate it when I'm making a "scrap" afghan to use up yarn and I run short to finish a row! Then the "scrap to use up yarn" afghan becomes "gotta buy more of that color" afghan. How is a girl ever going to use up all that yarn??

:lol That is the story of my life!! I almost never have enough yarn to finish a project. Sometimes, even if I have the right amount the patterns states; I still don't have enough.

I can't wait to see your shawl. I have never tried hairpin lace. But it sounds pretty. Here is a link to the Coats and Clark website, with a picture of Red Heart Soft. It is under 'Medium' (worsted weight) yarns. To give you an idea (? maybe ?) of what weight it is/what it looks like :hook... The yarn you are using looks nice. :yes

Tina

Oh I love that shawl, I have tryed hairpin lace before, I think I will try that pattern with some special yarn I have.... I have four hanks of the yarn that is multi-colored with 2 more hanks of similiar yarn in royal blue that I think may work with the color if needed to finish. But thanks so much for the link.. I am going to try and make that as well.

I haven't actually run out of yarn recently, but something is in the air: Three times in as many weeks the ball of yarn has finished halfway across the last row, and it drives me nuts having to join a new ball for half a row.

That is nothing like as frustrating as literally running out of yarn though, so I send you sympathy :hug

p.s. I use USA patterns a lot. If you look up the yarn from the pattern to get details of thickness, meterage etc, it can really help you find a substitute. Good luck!

oh I do hate that except that then I have the perfect excuse for buying more yarn LOL

Well I got my extra balls last night. Thought I better get 2, plus I found some nice pumpkin coloured which I just couldnt resist. Kel you were right!

I just hate when you just need a little bit to finish up and you run out.:angry

I was making a 5 stitch ruffle around a bottom of a dolly dress and I only had about two inches of the dress to finish and I ran out of yarn. So I tore the whole thing off and did a 4 stitch ruffle and had enough to finish.

My dad, at the time, couldn't believe that I did that. But I knew I wouldn't be able to match it, so I did the next best thing. Make the ruffle smaller. And it all worked out.

:manyheart

Sometimes I cheat when I only have a few stitches to go & I run out of yarn. I tear out a few stitches and *gasp* stretch the yarn! I don't recommend doing this unless you're desperate!

Archived