JoAnn's Expanding

Colyak Crocheter

Yep, yarn planograms are being done right now... lots of exciting new stuff.

My store hasn't doubled the size of the yarn dept, but they have added a half aisle for the exclusive Sensations yarns.

I always peruse the new shipments when they come in, and I wouldn't say a large percentage of it was season-specific in any way... just new stuff. :D

Is this being done nationwide? I was in last weekend, I think, and didn't notice anything different in mine.

Well, the original poster is in WA, and I am in NY, so I think it would be safe to say it was national. But I don't truly know... they may do it in waves so the warehouse is not overwhelmed. Have there been yarns on clearance in your store? If so, the new planogram is coming soon.

I think it also depends on the type of JoAnns you have, like the huge ones are expanding but the smaller ones are not. I'm just speculating, however.

[my joann's has almost no yarn to speak of, and it's just shrinking.]

Have there been yarns on clearance in your store? If so, the new planogram is coming soon.

[in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice] Sweet!

There have been yarns on clearance...during that Firefly Frenzy there were tons on sale, and seems like there may have been some more on clearance later. Also, the one I normally go to is one of the bigger ones (they're fairly new to the Metroplex...at least the Fort Worth side).

Funny...just last weekend I was feeling a little bored with what they have. Seems like lately they don't have anything interesting.

The JoAnns near me is like the one near Xantha; not only is the yarn department not expanding, it's gradually getting nibbled away by other stuff. It's gone from both sides of one aisle, to one side of the aisle, to half of one side of the aisle plus a few stacked baskets across from the endcap. I'm foreseeing a day when I walk in and there's no yarn at all :(

There are basically three types of Jo-Ann Stores.

Traditional - the small ones, which are probably the ones where the yarn selection is shrinking

SuperStores/ETC - large stores built from the mid-90s through, say... 2002 ish? I can't exactly recall. My store is a superstore, and was built in 1999. Our yarn section is expanding somewhat... some stores may be expanding more than others. We have another Superstore in the area, too, besides my own.

Prototype - The new stores. I think they started them up in 2003. Any new stores they open are prototype stores now. We have one here, in Webster, that opened in May, and another near Syracuse that opened about a year ago.

I guess Western NY is a big craft area, for three big stores (and a few traditional stores, too) to share the same market. All three stores are about 20 to 30 min away from each other here in the Rochester area, forming a "triangle" around the city (one east, one west, one south). You need something to combat cabin fever during winters near the Great Lakes. LOL!

Yeah, the very nice ladies at my local JoAnn's told me that the only store that would have more yarn would be the ETC stores or SuperStores. Only problem is the closest one is, oh, about 150 miles away :( This area is pretty much a craft wasteland for some reason though.

the store where i teach crochet classes is a prototype joanns. it is a little different than most as it has departments in it run by other companies, like viking has a whole section in the store where i teach. by the way, was talking to one of the girls who works there(daughter did so not tell me this, and buy is she going to get it:eek :eek ) next week, they are going to be adding about 2 more isles of yarn.:manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart :manyheart course the little stinker who i was talking to today, says are ya going to be :devil or good, cause your daughter will ask me, we have all been warned to not let you buy any yarn:angry :angry :angry :angry :angry another thing she is going to get it for:devil :devil :devil so like a good girl, i behaved, we have been having our kids camp this week and i have 3 students, a 7 ,8 and 10 year old. tomorrow is the last day, they and i are both sad, as we have come to enjoy our little 2 hour sessions. course i am beat at the end of the day :lol :lol :lol so tonight i made them all three little scrunchies as a end of class gift from their teacher.:blush :blush :blush think they will like them? hubby thought so, says awwwwwwwwww:lol :lol :lol so will not buy any new yarn until i see what they have coming up:hook :hook then watch out:devil vicki

No, actually, Viking is standard in the SuperStores as well. In fact, the traditional store that my superstore replaced had its own Viking department as far back as a decade ago, probably further.

Prototypes offer the same services as SuperStores (education, custom framing, custom floral, etc.), but they are a little smaller in square footage, and organized a little differently.

Honestly, in my opinion they still ARE superstores, they're just testing out a new design. :)

I am very very excited! They are closing the two joanns in my hometown and consolidating them into one big Joanns which will be closer to my parents house! What has me :think is that they are closing the two that are on the other sides of town (one north, one west) to build the new big one less than 2 blocks down the road from Hobby Lobby - go figure! The new store is on the south side of town, so now everyone will have to drive to get to the craft stores and they will have a choice of the two! Will wait and see if this harms them or helps them by having a bigger store instead of two small ones! Am excited to go back at christmas and do some shopping!

With a bigger store, the will be able to offer the extended services I mentioned above, and compete with HL that way. Sounds like a good move to me! :D

Edit: I just noticed on the joann.com store locator that both prototype and superstores are both listed as superstores. :) So I guess it wasn't just me that thought of them that way... but being an employee, I get all the "inside" terms stuck in my head, like "trad" "prototype" "planogram" "average ticket" and all that crap. :D

What has me :think is that they are closing the two that are on the other sides of town (one north, one west) to build the new big one less than 2 blocks down the road from Hobby Lobby - go figure!

That's funny - The JA's that I most frequent is in the same plaza as Michael's! I never understood that. Usually Michael's is more expensive but they do have some stuff that JA's doesn't, so I generally go to both, LOL!

And to make it even worse - they've both expanded their yarn sections!! Last month they were both poor to fair - and then BAM!

My Michael's brought in a ton of new novelty yarns and higher end yarns, as well as Clover tools - I can finally get the Soft Touch hooks, but they don't have the bamboo hooks yet, only knitting needles.

And JoAnns - well, that is scary...:devil because they have all new Sensations yarns... we finally have the Rainbow Boucle and their new Bellezza Collection is freaking to die for! Wool and wool blends at like half the price you'd pay at an LYS, plus I can use my 40% coupons! I've already picked up a couple balls of the Dolcetto, a wool/nylon/cotton blend that is soooo soft and only $6 each. They also brought in a *ton* of other yarns, Moda Dea and Patons especially but also some new stuff from LB and Caron... And they did a nice job with the tools section, too...

Needless to say, I'm :c9

oh then mine is a superstore cause it is huge:lol :lol :lol :lol

No, actually, Viking is standard in the SuperStores as well. In fact, the traditional store that my superstore replaced had its own Viking department as far back as a decade ago, probably further.

Prototypes offer the same services as SuperStores (education, custom framing, custom floral, etc.), but they are a little smaller in square footage, and organized a little differently.

Honestly, in my opinion they still ARE superstores, they're just testing out a new design. :)

Archived