Mission trip to Ukraine updated website in post 102

Daugherty4inNC

Even though I decided that I wasn't capable of doing this this year I greatly appreciate all the help you each provided. Please know that I will try to do this again next year but with more advance notice.

I have prayed about this and am feeling led to do this. I belong to RockyHock Baptist Church in Edenton, NC. Each year there is a group of people that go from our church with a mission group to the Ukraine in the summer. One of the main things they do there, (because they do a lot of things) is they visit some of the orphanages. The kids in these orphanages are in need of everything. Our team goes to do crafts, music, and other things with them and to try to cheer them up and they take all sorts of things with them. Most of them give away their clothes, and shoes, and toothbrushes, and anything else that these children need. The mission mails things to the Ukraine mission house ahead of time but they also take lots of things in their suitcases, and NONE of it comes home. The children in the orphanages range from under a year..(crawling age, and just learning to walk) to just under 18 (they are required to leave at 18) and these kids have little or nothing to call their own. So I am asking for anybody who can to help me help the mission team help the orphans.

They take hats, scarves, blankets, socks... etc... anything handmade is welcomed. There are boys and girls and they range in all the ages above. If you feel led to help out I will take squares of any size to make into scarves or blankets. I will take hats or anything. If you feel the need to buy something and send it I will make sure they receive that as well. If you would like to help please just send me a PM for the address. I know this seems like a lot, but I have seen how little these guys have compared to the majority of us. Please help me help them.

Thank you.

Okay to make this easy. ANYTHING IS ACCEPTABLE!!! We are talking about kids that either don't have parents at all or because their parents can't take care of them live in orphanages. Also if the older ones turn 18 while they are at the orphanage they HAVE to leave with only the things that are DEFINITELY theirs, and that includes the stuff they are given. Our mission team ships a couple of LARGE shipments ahead of time. Then whatever they get before they go in July goes in their suitcases, carryon luggage, stuffed in jacket pockets, etc. Most of the time they come back with very little of their own stuff. They give away pretty much everything they take including their OWN clothes, shoes, toothbrushes, etc. They know they can buy more when they return, or that they have more here at home. THESE KIDS DO NOT HAVE THAT OPTION!!!! So anything that you send will be helpful. I can use any size square for washcloths, or I can put them together for scarves, towels, blankets, etc. I can use hats, socks, gloves, any type of clothing, etc. It can be handmade or bought and made from any type of material. All that matters is that it can be used. The team that goes is temporary but there are other workers there that live on the mission who visit the orphanages and minister on a regular basis. Trust me when I say that EVERYTHING you send will be put to good use more than once.

Thank you again for your help!!! The sooner I get things then it can be shipped in one of the shipments, but I can take things up to July when the mission team leaves.

Squares of all sizes, any material

blankets of all sizes (many different age groups)

handmade or bought (crafted items, or things like shoes, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc)

Any and all craft supplies will be used as well for some of the craft and learning sessions that the mission teams do.

Here is the newest list straight from Billy and Mary Nixon, the leaders of the team of things that they still need.

Money for Shipping (each pound shipped cost about $2.00)

Medications:

Cold and Flu Medications (Adult and Children)

Bandage Items (Band-Aids, Gauze, Tape)

Neosporin

Arthritis Medications

Vitamins (Adult and Children)

Calcium Tablets

Zantac

Toothache Medication

Tylenol and Ibuprofen (Adult and Children)

Antibiotic Ointments and Salves

Personal Items:

Socks (Adult and Children, Dark and White)

Shoes

School Supplies (Pencils,Pens,Paper,Notebooks)

Craft Items

Stickers

Note Cards

Hand Sanitizers

Shampoo, Lotions (Hotel Size or sample size)

Disposable Razors

Aprons

Tablecloths

Work Gloves

Barrettes and Hair Bows

Blankets

The website for this mission is Ukraine Challenge and Facebook site The team that is from my church under 2008 Ukraine Challenge Volunteers is the Nixon team.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The squares can be any size. I can put small ones together for scarves or blankets for the smaller children, and bigger ones can be put together for blankets, They can also be used for wash cloths or towels so any will do. I wasn't kidding when I said these kids didn't have much at all.

Okay - I have lots of WW cotton, too....make great washcloths or joined together make a great blankie for a little one. What is the deadline for you getting everything ready to mail?

What about washcloths made from flannel? I do some crochet, but I have lots of flannel sewing scaps that would be perfect for me to make up some washcloths if that would be okay.

Thanks.

Please PM me your addy...I have about 25 hats to send on Monday...most are for the older kids....I used the dreaded HOMESPUN for the ones I made today and for the first time I had no problem working with it...perhaps God was guiding my hands...

Okay - I have lots of WW cotton, too....make great washcloths or joined together make a great blankie for a little one. What is the deadline for you getting everything ready to mail?

The earlier things are sent the better. There is a shipment going in May and another one in June ahead of the team. Then they will fit as much as they can in their luggage when they leave July 6th. I need most everything by the last day of June, 1st of July and earlier if possible

What about washcloths made from flannel? I do some crochet, but I have lots of flannel sewing scaps that would be perfect for me to make up some washcloths if that would be okay.

Thanks.

any type of material and whatever you want to make, or buy and send. These are kids both little and older who appreciate everything they are given

I can help, PM sent!

I can fill up a box between now and the end of april, so I can mail you the box the last week in april. It will be there for may. PM me your addy, I'll get to work on this every spare minute. :)

Thank you very much for what you are doing

Two hats going in the mail on Monday

Have 4 skeins of light purple glow in the dark going in the mail also on Monday

Please PM me your addy...I have about 25 hats to send on Monday...most are for the older kids....I used the dreaded HOMESPUN for the ones I made today and for the first time I had no problem working with it...perhaps God was guiding my hands...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! And don't you love how the Lord does that and it just lets you know you are doing the right thing. It always works that way with my prayer shawls and the other charity things I do also. Always what I need when I need it in God's timing. Addy on the way

Have 4 skeins of light purple glow in the dark going in the mail also on Monday

Wow! 4 skeins??!!!? Thank you!!

I am adding a new pkg of boys socks and a new pkg of boys boxers to the package for the kids. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help.

Blessings!

Thank You Sarah, Wanda, MJ, ratdog, TXcrochetlover, indi, and all the rest of you who have responded to this thread. I can't wait to start getting the squares and items in the mail so that I can give them to Mary and Billy. I will try to get Mary and Billy to get some pictures of the kids with some of their items and then post it up here after they get back from the Ukraine. Please continue to help as much as you can. Thank you.

I know you have probably already answered this, but I posted to the thread instead of pm-ing you just in case anyone elae needed to know. For the hats/scarves, clothes, is there any colors that are not ok? I have some citrucy orange that is really soft. Just wondering. ;)

I know you have probably already answered this, but I posted to the thread instead of pm-ing you just in case anyone elae needed to know. For the hats/scarves, clothes, is there any colors that are not ok? I have some citrucy orange that is really soft. Just wondering. ;)

As far as I know there are not any colors that would not be accepted. If there are, then when the mission team members sort through the items and repackage them for shipping I am sure they will remove them and donate them elsewhere. But as of now I don't know of any. Excellent question though Sarah. I hadn't even thought of that one. :hug

I would love to help. I have a lot of boucle yarn that would be adorable in scarves or hats. I can make some up and hopefully send it in time for the May shipment. I will PM you for your addy.

Wow! That was fast! I just mailed the stuff Monday! I just got my mail! The glow in the dark yarn came! Thanks a million!

And you said my mail was fast. We have some speedy mailmen apparently. :lol Hope you liked the yarn. It was the only color I had

I received more items today for the Ukraine. Thank you very much to

TXCrochetLover for these 4 beautiful black and purple squares. Trust me when I say the pictures don't do them justice by any means.th_P4022551.jpgth_P4022552.jpg

And to SharonB551 for the beautiful baby blanket crocheted in Bernat Baby Coordinates in the light pink with the satin thread running through it.th_P4022550.jpgth_P4022549.jpg

I apologize that my pictures don't do your items justice but they are gorgeous. Keep the items coming. Everything will be used.

I have a box, in that box I'm putting sweet little items and lots of prayers to go with them. I've been choosing soft yarns and soft or fun colors too. I think something comforting to feel as well as have is an extra blessing. I know they will be thankful for what ever they receive, I just want to try to make everything special too. :) The box should be full and ready to go about the middle of the month. I'll mail it then. Then I'll start another box. Thanks for this opportunity to help. :jumpyay

Archived