Mission trip to Ukraine updated website in post 102

Daugherty4inNC

8 or 12 inch squares that could be made into blankets for these guys. Crocheted hair ties for the girls. socks

Hey! I would love to help! I'll try to get you some stuff by mid may, end of June! are there any particular crochet items or sizes in particular that you feel you should have that you don't already?

Misty

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW.. saltines can be sewn together into washcloths, handtowels, scarves, small and large blankets if enough are received. Also sample bottles of things are great. This doesn't require tons of effort or money. What is a small thing to us in a great need for them. And if everyone combines together then with the Lord working there will be more than enough.

Okay two more shipments came in today. The first is from Wanda (wgjret) and was a bunch of wonderful hats. th_P4142621.jpg

The second shipment is from Pam (crochettingmama) and included some hats, a small blanket, and a large blanket. th_P4142618.jpg

Thank all of you for your help. We are all so excited now. I will be delivering all of the items that I have received over the last two weeks to Billy and Mary around the end of the week. Thank you everyone for your support in this. Keep it coming.

:lolJust to let you guys know, this isn't a competition or anything, but I have to give some thanks to some people out there. :hook Texas and Minnesota are tied in the amount of people who have sent me things out of those two states, with Florida coming in a close second. :clap:clap Come on other 48 states and across the world, don't let these guys beat you out. No.. just kidding. Doesn't matter how much or how little you send, or how many people send something from your state, by contributing to these young people, you are all equal in my eyes and you are earning rewards from the Lord. Thank you all so very much for what you do. I told someone the other day that the words thank you just don't seem big enough for what you all are doing. But since it is the only words I have....

:hug:manyheart THANK YOU!!!! :ty:ghug

My pkg will be heading out tomorrow. I think I forgot to take tags off of the wash cloths (I had them left over from my last craft fair). Very embarrasing, so sorry, didn't remember until box was all packed.

The package shipped Saturday. Hubby broght me some donated yarn last night so I'm making squares. Just checked in to see if 7 inch granny stitch are too small? I still can't crochet too long on account of all my muscle woes/positioning/joint damage(2001 car accident) :/ . Have to crochet lying down to be able to at all. lol

Diana

http://crochetbydiana.etsy.com

We received more things for the Ukraine today. :cheer:clap Thank you so much for helping with this cause that is so dear to my heart. So many people take for granted the things they have, but that is not the case with all of you.

Okay, I received these lovely items from Lacy Lucy all the way from the United Arab Emirates.

th_P4202637.jpg

I also received lots of lovely items like skirts, pants, small purses, hair ties, headbands, socks, toothpaste, toothbrushes, hats, scarves, bath mitts, and booties from CrochetbyDiana

th_P4202633.jpg

There were also ten more hats sent by Wanda...:clap

th_P4202627.jpg

But I have a small dilemma with the next set of items. They were extremely lovely. There were lovely scarves, vests, hats, bibs, washcloths and even a lovely shawl. What there wasn't was a name anywhere on or in the box. Since the postmark came from Pennsylvania, I think it might be from our wonderful poem writing Mrs. Carol aka HappyOleCro, but I am not sure and I would like to know for sure who sent it. So I am posting a huge thank you and the picture with the hopes that you can let me know who sent this package.

th_P4202625.jpg

Thank you all so very much for all you are doing and hopefully will continue to do. We are all very touched by your generosity.

The package shipped Saturday. Hubby broght me some donated yarn last night so I'm making squares. Just checked in to see if 7 inch granny stitch are too small? I still can't crochet too long on account of all my muscle woes/positioning/joint damage(2001 car accident) :/ . Have to crochet lying down to be able to at all. lol

Diana

http://crochetbydiana.etsy.com

No that is not too small. I can figure out how to put them together into something or even use them for washcloths if need be.

But I have a small dilemma with the next set of items. They were extremely lovely. There were lovely scarves, vests, hats, bibs, washcloths and even a lovely shawl. What there wasn't was a name anywhere on or in the box. Since the postmark came from Pennsylvania, I think it might be from our wonderful poem writing Mrs. Carol aka HappyOleCro, but I am not sure and I would like to know for sure who sent it. So I am posting a huge thank you and the picture with the hopes that you can let me know who sent this package.

th_P4202625.jpg

Thank you all so very much for all you are doing and hopefully will continue to do. We are all very touched by your generosity.

Yes it was me, :blush, had so many packages going out that day, and some were late, so I wrapped as best I could, grabbed a return label (so sorry not mine, another family person) and forgot to send a note.

I do have to say you are good at figuring it out. :D

Have alot going on now too, but if I get the time (and energy) I do want to send more. I know my Ukranian Grandma would like me to do it.

:hug

Thank you. Glad to have that mystery cleared up. It wasn't a hard mystery to figure out. I have only had two offers from PA and you were the only one that had sent me a pm saying you had sent your package off. But I have received a few things without any warning something was coming so I wasn't sure if it was one of those packages.

To make this easier on me, could you please write your ville name either on the package or put it in a note in the package. I would really like to be able to thank the right people and that is hard to do either without names or when I only know you by your ville name and not your real name. Thank you for doing this everybody

Yes it was me, :blush, had so many packages going out that day, and some were late, so I wrapped as best I could, grabbed a return label (so sorry not mine, another family person) and forgot to send a note.

I do have to say you are good at figuring it out. :D

Have alot going on now too, but if I get the time (and energy) I do want to send more. I know my Ukranian Grandma would like me to do it.

:hug

I increased the size to 8 and 12 inch squares. I don't think acrylic yarn would be good as bath cloths. I'll add a few cotton squares that can be used as blanket or bathcloth. smile

Curious... Are some of the squares taken *as is* so the (older)children can assemble them as a project for themselves? ie. totes, afghans,scarves

Diana

That is a very good question. I hadn't even thought about that. I know they do crafts with the kids on the days that they are at the orphanage, but I don't know if there is anyone going that can teach them how to put them together or if I will have enough squares for that. I will have to check with Billy and Mary on this and get back to you with an answer. But that is a really good idea.:D

I increased the size to 8 and 12 inch squares. I don't think acrylic yarn would be good as bath cloths. I'll add a few cotton squares that can be used as blanket or bathcloth. smile

Curious... Are some of the squares taken *as is* so the (older)children can assemble them as a project for themselves? ie. totes, afghans,scarves

Diana

All packaged up and ready to go. I will be sending out a box of things today from the post office.

Unfortunately it is purchased items off your list because of the medical immobilization of my wrist, so I can't crochet for a while longer. I tried to include as many items as possible, so there is quite a variety in there.

Please let me know when you get it.

Thanks.

Please don't say "unfortunately" I would never have posted that list if it hadn't been things that they needed. Everybody is doing what they can do and the Lord is using you to make sure that they get other things that are needed as well. The Lord uses us all. What you are sending is equally important. Thank you so much for your help also.

All packaged up and ready to go. I will be sending out a box of things today from the post office.

Unfortunately it is purchased items off your list because of the medical immobilization of my wrist, so I can't crochet for a while longer. I tried to include as many items as possible, so there is quite a variety in there.

Please let me know when you get it.

Thanks.

Thank you for making me feel better about not being able to crochet some things to send to the Ukraine.

Purchasing items seems so impersonal compared to creating something for someone. I felt so inferior just going to the store and just putting down my money to purchase items.

There are so many pretty things you've posted in the pictures that others have made !!! I can't do that now. :(

You have put it into perspective for me... like you said, the Lord wanted it this way for me now and so it is.

Now I feel better within myself because of you. Bless you!! :hug

The other people here may have put their time into making the items but you used your time to go out and get the other things that were needed. They used their money to buy yarn; you used yours to buy medicine and bandaids and other items on the list. Their items will be used for comfort but so will yours. When I say these kids don't have even the basic necessities, I wasn't kidding. We have the ability to go to a doctor when we have are sick or something is wrong. Sometimes the only thing standing between them and an infection is neosporin and a bandaid if they get hurt because of the lack of medicine and medical care. Toothbrushes and toothpaste, shoes.. and all of the other "non handmade items" on that list are things that each of us reach for in our homes without thought. But for them without people like you, they don't have those items. I meant exactly what I said. And I will be posting the pictures of what you sent right up here along with everyone elses and those pictures will be just as beautiful because of the heart and thoughtfullness that went into making sure these kids have what they need. So please rest assured that the things you send will be just as welcomed. I have seen the pictures of these children who were just as excited over new toothbrushes and boxes of bandaids and underwear like they were given a new car or cell phone. The one thing I have learned about this is when people are doing God's work He uses everybody and all the things they do to supply EXACTLY what is needed. You are being used in this capacity at this time and place. Thank you for listening and sending these items even as you felt it wasn't as important. You are being a great blessing to all of us by showing us that we should all do the most that we are able to do.

Thank you for making me feel better about not being able to crochet some things to send to the Ukraine.

Purchasing items seems so impersonal compared to creating something for someone. I felt so inferior just going to the store and just putting down my money to purchase items.

There are so many pretty things you've posted in the pictures that others have made !!! I can't do that now. :(

You have put it into perspective for me... like you said, the Lord wanted it this way for me now and so it is.

Now I feel better within myself because of you. Bless you!! :hug

As far as the amount of time you have all I can say is I wouldn't push it. The team leaves at the beginning of July. Your items NEED to be here before the end of June at the latest, if at all possible, no later than the middle of June. As the post sometimes takes close to two weeks depending on how you send it I would try to make sure that all items are mailed by either the end of May or the first of June. Hope that helps.

Okay everybody. I received 2 more boxes today from people with huge hearts.

The first box was from Heart out of South Carolina

th_P4272655.jpg

And the second box was very special items that will go a long way in making those kids feel very loved. It came from Arlinka in Virginia and these items are just as lovely and just as special because even though Arlinka is unable to crochet right now due to medical problems she still gave her time and effort to making sure these kids had things they needed.

th_P4272652.jpg

Archived