Comfortghan for 6 yr. old Abbie--pics posted 3/21

Cocoa Cream

I believe that I have all the squares I will need for Abbie's blanket, as long as the mailman comes through for me! Thanks so much, ladies!:hug

If you've been checking the Prayer/Warm Wishes threads at all lately, you probably have seen my posts about a 6yr. old girl from my church who had a virus attack her heart. If not, you can read her story, as well as any new updates, in this thread. Abbie is currently in recovery from surgery to implant a Berlin heart, which will pump for her heart until a transplant is available. She is going to be in hospital, 2 hours away from home, for probably a very long time. There isn't alot I can do to help her family financially, but I thought I could at least make her a nice afghan to snuggle with while she is in the hospital.

If you'd like to help me, here are the details:

It will be a heart-themed afghan, using the following 12 inch squares:

Cable Hearts

Caring Hearts--via the Wayback Machine, steps to follow in post #10

6 in. Heart Block--I'm no math expert, but it seems to me, if you make 4 of these and sl st them together, you'll have a 12 in. square!

You just choose whichever one you want to make...I think they are both fairly simple patterns.

I'd like all squares to be made using WW acrylic yarn in pastel colors (ie, pink, light purple, light blue, pale yellow, mint green.) I'll probably be using RHSS for mine. You don't need to edge your square, as I plan to edge them all in white and join as I go.

Also, if you would, I thought it would be nice to write a little encouraging note, verse, or thought along with your name (and city/state, if you want) on a tag and tie it to your square. I will leave these on so the family can read them.

Thanks so much, everyone!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heart Made Blessings doesn't work for me no matter if I click on the link, or go through Google. Is there another pattern other than the cable one we could do?

Okay, about the Caring Hearts pattern link. I'm not sure why it doesn't work....I can pull it up from my favorites list, but not from the hyperlink I created with the exact same web address. I found the pattern via Ravelry, but even on there it is noted that the original webpage for the pattern in no longer working. There is a link to the pattern through something called the "WayBack Machine," and that is how I found the pattern. If you are on Ravelry, just do a search for the Caring Hearts pattern, and you should be able to view it that way. If not, I'll look to see if I can find another simple heart pattern I like. Sorry everyone!

Okay, I think I figured out how you can view the Caring Hearts Square without a Ravelry account. Here goes:

1. Go to Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

2. Type this web address (http://heartmadeblessings.org/patterns) into the box near the top of the page, then click the "Take Me Back" button.

3. Under Search Results, click on April 24, 2006. This should take you to a page with several pattern links and photos.

4. Click on the Caring Hearts pattern link, and you should end up at the pattern page!

Whew! It's alot of work, but that's one way of finding the pattern! :cheer

Yes, sissie, that is the cable heart pattern I linked to. The caring hearts square is the one that is so hard to find...the other two should be easy to find.

I would love to help. I have 3 little girls (one of them is 6) so this hits a bit close to home. I cannot imagine the pain this family has experienced or the agony of wondering when a donor heart will be available. Thanks be to God that the Berlin heart is working for her while she waits, though.

I just finished my first square last night...I did the Caring Hearts square first, modified it a bit because I didn't like the three popcorn stitches in a row, and because when I got to row 10, my square was big enough that I had to change the dc to sc. But I like the way it turned out. Now I'm working on my Cable Hearts square and hoping I don't run out of pink yarn before I get done! :P

I just finished my square and will be sending out as soon as I can get to the post office. May try to finish up two more treasure bags I'm doing for a children's home Easter program and get them all out at the same time on Saturday.

Kelly, Stacy and Melissa--thanks for joining in to help! I can't wait to receive everyone's squares and get this afghan to Abbie and her family. It will mean alot to them!

I just finished my first two squares! I am going to have to scrounge around in my yarn stash and see if I can find enough pastel yarn to make more. At first I thought I liked the Caring Hearts square better, but now that I've done both, I changed my mind. I did the Cable Hearts square with lighter weight yarn (I think it was Caron Pound of Love) because that was the only pink I could find...so I had to add an extra row at the end to make it big enough...but it turned out nicely anyway!

th_CaringandCable.jpg

th_CableHearts1.jpg

th_CaringHearts2.jpg

I just finished my first two squares! I am going to have to scrounge around in my yarn stash and see if I can find enough pastel yarn to make more. At first I thought I liked the Caring Hearts square better, but now that I've done both, I changed my mind. I did the Cable Hearts square with lighter weight yarn (I think it was Caron Pound of Love) because that was the only pink I could find...so I had to add an extra row at the end to make it big enough...but it turned out nicely anyway!

th_CaringandCable.jpg

th_CableHearts1.jpg

th_CaringHearts2.jpg

Those came out very nice .:lol I am stuck on the row where you start the three hearts lol my st count is off and most likely because I kept having to put it down running after kids lol but I shall conquer this:lol

Archived