Comfortghan for 6 yr. old Abbie--pics posted 3/21

Cocoa Cream

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update, ladies! I can hardly wait to see them! I've decided to use the Dudessembly method to join all the squares because I hate whipstitching them together. I'm going to have to buy more white yarn tomorrow, though, because I don't have nearly enough to join and edge everything. :)

Mine in light lavendar is in the mail :) I can't wait to see this afghan all together and comforting that little one!

Thanks, Peggy, for your pretty pink caring hearts square! It arrived safely in the mail on Friday. :) I was able to make a quick Wal-mart run yesterday and pick up a bunch of white RH for joining and edging everything, so now I'm just waiting to get all the squares and lay them out together. Oooo...waiting is always the hardest part, isn't it? :lol

By the way, an update on Abbie: she is gaining strength daily, but still very scared and in alot of pain. As you can imagine, it is very difficult for a 6 year old to understand all that has happened and is going to happen, as it is hard enough for us to comprehend. She is also possibly fighting an infection around the site of some of her iv's. Please continue to pray for her and her family, that they will be encouraged and have peace in the difficult days ahead. Thank you so much!

Great! Glad to hear that you all are finishing your squares and getting them in the mail. Abbie has been feeling a little down the last couple of days, so I am really hoping to the get the ghan done as soon as possible and go deliver it to her in person! The good news is that she is moving out of ICU into a normal room today. That should help as she'll be able to move around a bit more and have more visitors! :) Thanks again for all your help, ladies. I couldn't do this without you! :manyheart

I sent mine out this morning. Glad to hear that Abbie was moved to a normal room today. Hopefully being able to move around and have more visitors will lift her spirits. :manyheart

Do you still need squares for this little girl? I'm going to start on a couple of them tonight. Let me know if you still need them.

Well, I'm starting to assemble the squares I already have, and I am quite "impatiently" waiting for the others to arrive! :) I'm so bad that way...once I get a project that I'm excited about, I just can't wait to have it finished! Anyway, I do have enough squares, so thanks to all of you who have been so sweet to help with this. It means alot to me, and I hope it will bring a little sunshine to Abbie and her family as well.

I just got two more squares in the mail tonight and will be joining the final pieces of the ghan tonight! Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon or evening I'll be able to post some pics. :yay

Well, as promised, here are some pictures of the completely assembled afghan! I am so pleased with how it turned out. I think Abbie will love it! Now I just have to weave in all the ends, and toss it in the washing machine. Don't worry, I took off all the tags, but I wrote down which tags went with which squares...so when it come out of the dryer I will attach them all again! :) Thank you all once again for helping me with this. I know it is going to bring a ray of sunshine to Abbie and her family. Oh, and I ended up with one extra square, so that one is going to be the center of a mini-ghan for Abbie's little sister Addison. I'm sure she doesn't understand why sissie gets all the presents, so I thought she could use something of her very own!

Click for larger image!

th_Abbiesghan1.jpg

th_Abbiesghan2.jpg

P.S.--Don't mind my silly kitty Max there in the corner...he knows how handsome he is and loves having his picture taken! :lol

that is wonderful. If there is anything else we can do please let us know.

Well, as promised, here are some pictures of the completely assembled afghan! I am so pleased with how it turned out. I think Abbie will love it! Now I just have to weave in all the ends, and toss it in the washing machine. Don't worry, I took off all the tags, but I wrote down which tags went with which squares...so when it come out of the dryer I will attach them all again! :) Thank you all once again for helping me with this. I know it is going to bring a ray of sunshine to Abbie and her family. Oh, and I ended up with one extra square, so that one is going to be the center of a mini-ghan for Abbie's little sister Addison. I'm sure she doesn't understand why sissie gets all the presents, so I thought she could use something of her very own!

Click for larger image!

th_Abbiesghan1.jpg

th_Abbiesghan2.jpg

P.S.--Don't mind my silly kitty Max there in the corner...he knows how handsome he is and loves having his picture taken! :lol

:clap! TYFS!!! :clap! It's so nice to see the finished product that is going to someone special and that I had a very small part in helping to create :)

grannytme...here's the link to the Dudessembly method of joining...It helps when you are working with squares that are not quite all the same size and stitch count on the final round. I changed his pattern somewhat in that I didn't use all the edging rows.

Thanks for the update, ladies! I can hardly wait to see them! I've decided to use the Dudessembly method to join all the squares because I hate whipstitching them together. I'm going to have to buy more white yarn tomorrow, though, because I don't have nearly enough to join and edge everything. :)

Today I will be going to see Abbie and her family at the hospital. Please pray for Abbie right now, as she had a stroke yesterday and there is much concern about bleeding on her brain. Please see her prayers thread for more detailed information. Anyway, I need to get going, but I just wanted to ask you all to say an extra prayer for me and my DH as well, that we would know what to say and how to be an encouragment and comfort to this hurting family. Thank you!

The afghan is beautiful, you did a wonderful job joining the squares. I am hoping that you received my square, I sent it out quite a while ago so it should have arrived by now.

My prayers are with Abbie and her family, as well as you and your hubby, that you will be able to impart words of comfort to her family. :hug

Oh, my, prayers for Abbie and for you and your family and hers during this difficult time. My heart goes out to all of you!

My visit with Abbie and her family was such a blessing! When I walked in the room, Abbie's face lit up with a little smile....her mom said it was the first smile they had seen in a couple days! How precious and humbling it is to know that God used me to bring a little joy to her day!

Abbie was able to sit up a little and look at the comfortghan. Her mom told her where some of the squares had come from, and they were so thankful to have another blanket to keep Abbie warm. Her fluctuating temperature makes her feel cold alot of the time, and it will be good to have another blanket in the rotation when some of her others are in the wash! Thank you all once again for your kindness and generosity in taking time to help make something for Abbie. I know it really touches her family every time they hear from people who don't even know them but are thinking about and praying for them. This is something noone can go through alone, and every person's warm wishes mean so much!

By the way, I finally did receive your square, Stacy! :) The mailman came through after all! So, Addison's blankie will get started tonight. She is having to stay with aunts and uncles while her parents are in St. Louis, so I look forward to being able to give her a little something to snuggle when she is missing mommy and daddy.

Thank you all so much! I will keep updating the Prayers for Abbie thread, so if you want to keep up with her progress, you can always check there! God bless!

Archived