I find this fascinating --

I know most of you already know this, but I still still find it amazing.

By taking a square (or shape) and depending on where you change colors, it changes the square completely.

It makes me want to take every square and just experiment. :construct (But-tttttttttt, I'd never get anything done then! :heehee

Here is an example:

http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/birthday_flower.html

Does anyone have any links for others that show the changes?

I love both squares. Just using different shades of a color can make any shape seem 3-D. I like doing things like that to ordinary patterns. I hardly ever use the colors they suggest. Everything I make gets changed one way or another.

Ellie 13

I know most of you already know this, but I still still find it amazing.

By taking a square (or shape) and depending on where you change colors, it changes the square completely.

It makes me want to take every square and just experiment. :construct (But-tttttttttt, I'd never get anything done then! :heehee

Here is an example:

http://www.geocities.com/cdjsimon/birthday_flower.html

Does anyone have any links for others that show the changes?

I find it fascinating also:hook Shading from light to dark, or the reverse; putting a brighter or darker color between 2 paler colors; 2 rows of a color vs. 1 row; it's amazing how the colors make the shapes look different.

I have an afghan made with about 16 colors (each square bordered in white), and I made every square with a different combination--color sets are repeated but in different order. I love looking at it to see all the effects.

the granny-along blog and flickr page have a lot of interesting examples. I think there is discussion of this in Jan Eaton's book 200 Crochet Blocks, and color theory books discuss it in broad terms.

I like to use color rather than fancy stitches to give my items character. I like to use sc, which many people find boring and too slow. I like it because it makes fabric that is tight and will hold up, like for purses.

The numbers of rows and numbers of colors that can be changed in striping is endless, so every finished piece can look so different from any other. All kinds of shapes can be crocheted right into a piece by merely changing color. A tweeded look can be made. I've been crocheting for 30 years and I've never made 2 items alike yet!

Wow, this is so interesting. I have noticed that squares people show look different sometimes, but I never realised it's an actual concept or that you could do it deliberately. Thanks for bringing this up!

All the squares are great.It makes me want to experiment but I have to finish other projects first :).

Darski I love how some of yours turned out like sunflowers,very cute.

Archived