Easter Egg Cradle Purse (Updated with 4pics)

champygirl

I made 3 of these and tweaking the pattern with each one until I found a finish project I was happy with. I even asked some of my family members which one looked the most egg like and they all chose the same one I did. Now to a description:

This is a crocheted egg shaped purse that you can fold down and convert into a bed for your little stuff animal or doll. The Simple Bunny (located: here) and The Simple Dolly (located: here) fits in it great.

Easter Egg Cradle purse

post-11825-135897401167_thumb.jpg
post-11825-135897401165_thumb.jpg

Copyright to champygirl January 26, 2009

Materials:
4oz of worsted weight yarn in Color A
4oz of worsted weight yarn in Color B
2oz of worsted weight yarn in Color C
Size G hook
Size F hook
Polyfil (stuffing)
Yarn Needle
Stitch Marker

Finish Size: 14” inches measuring around. 6”h, 4”w

Notes:
The bottom part of the egg is worked in a continuous spiral do not join unless specified.

The top part of the egg is made by working into the joining sl st each Rnd, this will count as a increase. You will need this increase each Rnd, this will help the purse cinch up good and be able to fold down over the bottom part easily.

Keep track of Rnds by placing stitch marker in first stitch of each rnd and moving it up as you go along.

Directions:

Egg Bottom:

Rnd 1: With Color A Ch2 leaving a tail, 6 hdc in 2nd chain from hook crocheting over the tail. (6hdc)
Pull tail taut to close starting hole.
Rnd 2: 2 hdc in each st around. (12hdc)
Rnd 3: 2 hdc in each st around. (24hdc)
Rnd 4: 1 hdc in each st around. (24hdc)
Rnd 5: [2hdc in next st, 1 hdc in next st] Do this 12 times. (36hdc)
Rnd 6: 1 hdc in each st around. (36hdc)
Rnds 7-9: Repeat Rnd 6 for Rnds 7 thru 9. (36hdc)
Sl st in next st and finish off Color A.

Egg top:

Rnd 10: Join color B with a sc to sl st, 1 sc in each of the next 35 hdc, join with a sl st to first sc. (36sc)
Rnd 11: Working Front Loops only this Rnd only Ch1, hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in each of the next 35 sts, 1 hdc in joining sl st. Join with sl st to first hdc. (37hdc)
Rnd 12: Ch1, hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in each of the next 36 sts, 1 hdc in joining sl st. Join with sl st to first hdc. (38hdc)
Rnd 13: Ch1, hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in each of the next 37 sts, 1 hdc in joining sl st. Join with sl st to first hdc. (39hdc)
Rnd 14: Ch1, hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in each of the next 38 sts, 1 hdc in joining sl st. Join with sl st to first hdc. (40hdc)
Rnd 15: Ch1, hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in each of the next 39 sts, 1 hdc in joining sl st. Join with sl st to first hdc. (41hdc)
Rnd 16: Ch1, hdc in same st as joining, 1 hdc in each of the next 40 sts, 1 hdc in joining sl st. Join with sl st to first hdc. (42hdc)
Rnd 17: Ch1, sc in same st as joining. Ch1. skip next st, [sc in next st, ch1, skip next st] Do this 20 times, join with sl st to first sc. Finish off and weave in ends.

Note: When doing working in the back loops for the hood I like working through both back loops (Diagram: Here), I find for me it makes it a little bit more sturdier. This is just a personal preference for me, I figured I’d just add my two cents.

Hood:

Fold top half of egg down over the bottom part.
Row 1: Join Color C with a sl st to any back loop left unused from Rnd 10. 1sc in next loop, 1 hdc in next loop, 1 dc in each of the next 7 loops, 1 hdc in next loop, 1 sc in next loop, sl st in next loop, ch1 and turn.
Row 2: Skip sl st, 1 sc in next st, 1 hdc in next st, 1 dc in each of the next 7 sts, 1 hdc in next st, 1 sc in next st, sl st in same loop at starting sl st (from Rnd 1), ch1 and turn.
Row 3: Skip sl st, sl st in next st, 1 sc in next st, 1 hdc in next st, 1 dc in each of the next 5 sts, 1 hdc in next st, 1 sc in next st, sl st in next st, sl st in same loop as ending al at (from Rnd 1) and ch1.
R0w 4: Skip sl st, Reverse sc in each of the next sl st, sc, hdc, each of the 5 dc, hdc, sc and sl st, skip next sl st and Reverse sc in each of the next 23 back loops left unused, join with sl st to first Reverse sc.
Finish off and weave in ends

Note: If you have trouble with Reverse sc, try this instead:
After Row 3 do not ch1.
Alternate Row 4: With a size F hook, sl st in next back loop, ch1, sc in same back loop, 1 sc in each of the next 12 back loops, skip sl st and work 1 sc into each of the next sl st, sc, hdc, 5 dc, hdc, sc and st st, skip next sl st and join with sl st to first sc.

Straps: (make 2)

With Color C and size F hook leaving a 2” to 3” tail Ch120, fasten off and make sure you leave a 2” to 3” inch long tail.
Repeat for other strap.
Weave straps in and out of the ch1 spaces on Rnd 17 of purse, one strap through one side, the other through the other side. When you have the straps weaved in how you like,* join one strap together by inserting the hook at one end of the chain, and the using tail from other end yarn over and pull up a loop and then finish off. Tie the 2 tails together like you would your shoe laces.* Repeat from * to * for other strap.

Padding: (Can be done in any of the colors)

Side 1:

Rnd 1:With Size G hook Ch2 leaving a tail, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook crocheting over tail. (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st} Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Rnd 4: [1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] Do this 6 times. (24sc)
Rnd 5: 1 sc in each st around. (24sc)
Rnd 6: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 6 times. (30 sc)
Finish off and weave in end.

Side 2:

Rnd 1:With Size G hook Ch2 leaving a tail, 6 sc in 2nd chain from hook crocheting over tail. (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st} Do this 6 times. (18sc)
Rnd 4: [1 sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st] Do this 6 times. (24sc)
Rnd 5: [2 sc in next st, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sts] Do this 6 times. (30 sc)
Do not finish off!!!!!

Assembling: Put sides together having the right sides out, ch1 working through thicknesses of both; sl st in each st around till there is a small opening. Stuff padding (but don’t overstuff!!). Then sl st the rest of the way. Finish off and weave in end.

Insert padding side one down (this side will be curvier and will help keep the bottom’s shape) in the bottom part of the egg.

post-11825-135897401171_thumb.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Copyright to Amelia Beebe AKA champygirl January 26, 2009. Do not claim this pattern as your own and do not sell the pattern. Do not copy and paste pattern to another website, please use a link. You can do whatever you want with the finish item you make. You can sell the finish item, or make it for charity, or make it as a gift. Whatever floats your boat. If you do sell the item online, do not use my photo, make your own and take a picture of that.

post-11825-135897401168_thumb.jpg

I just got finished making one of the Easter Egg Cradle Purses. It took about half of a day to make cuz I dont crochet until it is done, I take spirts doing something. I used the scrap yarn that I have laying around my room.

HPIM0659.jpg

HPIM0658.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In the pics (I posted), the purple/blue and the pink/white one are the ones The pattern is based on. The pink/blue one was my first one and is why it has a little bit of a flatter bottom, but with the other ones I fixed it to have a more rounded bottom. Enjoy the pattern !!!

Thanks Everyone!!! :c9

Okiegal76-Your purse came out great:yes, I like the colors you used. Thank you for trying the pattern out.:hug

Archived