Southwest colors?

My DH would love me to make a southwest/mexican looking RR. He loves things with the desert/southwest theme to it. The problem I'm having is...I'm not sure what colors to use to make one. Any idea that you could suggest to me to make it look kinda like something you might find in a Mexican restaurant? sort of like the sombero colors? We live in cold, northern state of Michigan, so I am not around this kind of theme much. DH gets his love from when we go to Las Vegas every year. We only have about two Mexican restaurants by us! they are few and far between in this area.

What colors would you use?:hook

Terra cotta was the first color that popped into my head. As well as earth yellows, dusty pinks, brown, tan and a little turquoise. I live in Clinton Twp-- these cold winters, here are not condusive to warm, sunny southwest-ish thoughts.

We bought a colorful blanket when we were down in Mexico. The colors are Yellow, orange, red, rust, green, dark green, black, purple, and blue.

I love the colors of Mexico. Things are so bright and cheery.

:manyheart

The Southwest is mostly the states above the Mexican border, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. There is a influence of Mexican design a little bit in decorating but the Southwest Native American tribes have a heavier influence on design and colors. Most of these colors have a meaning and represent something special.

Turquoise, terra cotta, reds, corn yellows, oranges, blues, reds, black, each color serves their purpose. All of these colors are also used in pastels, depending on the scheme in the decorating and all look beautiful together.

Here is just one website of many that have rug colors to maybe give you any idea. Surf all around to the different Southwest styles, some are taken from authentic designs, some are the artists rendition:

EL Paso Rugs

My girls used to dance with a Mexican folklorico group & the colors in their dresses were bright yellow (my daughter called it laser lemon, but I don't think it was quite that bright), bright blue, bright green, and red/white. I think it depends if you're going for the Native American look which is more of the earth tones or the Mexican colors which are really quite festive.

I see the bright colors of home decorations-red, turquoise, black, yellow, and suchbut Also the colors of the desert-like you would see in a canyon at sunset picture-muted red, plumb, tan, and gold. For some reason I picture this in a ripple pattern. I guess I'd do a search for pictures and pick the ones that suit your hubby.

Archived