A question of cozy

This is mostly just me musing out loud, but I would love to hear opinions on the matter.

Most of the crochet I do is pretty well...closed. I am making a shawl of many colors for my friend for Christmas, and I am using this pattern.

So I am on row 2 and it goes like this.

* ch 1, sk 1 dc, dc in next dc, * rep from *

Which of course is making little open work squares. And it makes me wonder, if a project is done like this, does it lose it's cozy factor? I want her to be able to snuggle in this while she is studying or watching tv but still feel cozy and comforted. The yarn is very thick and warm. (YArn Bee Mosaic Twist)

So I guess I am curious if people think something with such open stitches can still be cozy.

I want to continue using this pattern because it looks neat with the squares. (and it is something different for me to make)

Okay I am getting back to it.

From the picture it looks pretty warm and comfy. I don't think the holes are going to matter as much as you think.

I was just thinking that same thing. It looks both comfy and warm.

Sometimes holes can actually help the cozy factor by allowing pockets of air to form insulation (think thermal blankets - some have holes through the weave, but they are still quite warm). The holes will also allow it to breathe so that even if warm, it is not sweaty.

I made the Sweet Pea shawl for my friend in a soft acrylic/tencel yarn and she said that it was actually quite warm (Sydney, Australia warm, not Anchorage, Alaska warm :cold) - warmer than she expected from such an open pattern. (Which was good in her estimation as she is perpetually chilly :D).

Regards,

I have several shawls which are more open than this, and yes, they are cozy. Now if you are standing in a cold wind you might wish for the cloth to be denser but really, I don't believe it will be an issue.

I'm with DesertCrocheter. Depending what kind of yarn you use, the holes might not be a factor at all. If you're using something that's kind of fuzzy or fluffy, the holes won't be all the visible at all. If you're making it out of a very "clean" yarn (no fuzz or fluff), the gridwork will be easier to see and might let a bit more air through.

I was going to say what marikamum did. I used to think a lacy shawl defeated the purpose until I put my Eva's Shawl on. Yours is going to be fine because it's still pretty dense, besides people only wear shawls outside when the weather is not too cold, so for inside it's going to be warm enough.

Archived