symbols vs. written pattern

I think I was lucky to learn to crochet both ways right from the begining. In Germany we have a lot of symbol crochet patterns and a lot of written out ones. It always depends on what you want to make here.

Symbols are wonderful. Once I learned that the slash across a line meant how many times to wrap the crochet hook -- the light turned on!!!

I've been using symbols for years and I never once associated the slashes with number of wraps! So obvious -- how did I miss that!

Thank you so much.

I agree that symbols are great and I prefer them. However, I am not sure how well my doll clothes would chart. :think

I am in favour of more charts just because they show you exactly what you need to do to make the pattern and I am afraid that the words are seriously getting in the way of people understanding crochet. If you get addicted to those words, so that you can't function when there is a small typo, you need to take a step back and think it through.

I love the European technique of saying use this stitch (chart) to make this shape (schematic). It puts the power to create in the hands of the crafter instead of the editor. Editors are great, don't get me wrong on that... I :manyheart editors but not for everything :wlol

I actually learned using symbols at an early age when there were only books with symbols. My mom had some old doily magazines in black and white and they were written in spanish. Couldn't read Spanish at the time so learned the symbols. Now I use either symbols or the written pattern but mostly the written patterns. I've recently started working with thread and find that the symbol patterns are easier for doilies.

That second link is especially awesome. I appreciate it! I have tried and tried but after my second brain surgery I totally lost the ability to process anything like maps, symbols, etc. It all needs written out by word, whether it's directions to a location, a pattern, whatever. Ugh! I greatly admire all of you who can follow symbol-based patterns.

That second link is especially awesome. I appreciate it! I have tried and tried but after my second brain surgery I totally lost the ability to process anything like maps, symbols, etc. It all needs written out by word, whether it's directions to a location, a pattern, whatever. Ugh! I greatly admire all of you who can follow symbol-based patterns.

Glad you found it useful :hook I'm sorry about your information-processing change:hug If anything like that ever happens to me, I'll be struggling for sure, because often pictures or charts are only way I can understand anything.

Archived