Eva's shawl CAL

_Stacy_

Anyone up for making the Eva's shawl?? I am about to start it in a few minutes. I was initially drawn to it because my daughter's name is Eva. LoL But quickly realized that I have a gorgeous mohair-ish type yarn that would be perfect for it. I am making it for my husband's aunt for Christmas.

The pattern can be found here. The pattern looks a bit challenging because it is in UK terminology.

So, any takers? :clap I will be here a while since the pain in my shoulder only allows me to crochet for about an hour at a time now.

You now I'm in :hook girlfriend! I postponed turning the computer on last night because I was working on a couple of hats so I'll have to start tonight. I just remembered about this after going to my "sister" CAL, I'm glad I thought of looking down the list because I almost missed this.

I had to rewrite that pattern in my own words, and I'm not talking only about the UK terms. I'm not even sure how clear I really made it for myself either because I rewrote twice as I recall, first on a post-it which, of course, got lost and then in my notebook but I'll find out soon. enough!

How many rows did you get done last night? I've been getting a pain in my right shoulder too, I thought it was from leaning forward while typing... now you've made me think it's all the stitching I've done lately - wish I could get a massage or go to a chiropractor but funds are low!

I understand you're using lace weight yarn, out of curiosity, what size hook are you using? Even though I wrote down "F" (which is 4 mm) I remember using my Boye G at one point but I frogged so many times all I really remember now is that I ended with a small plastic SB. I think this time around I'm going to use one size bigger, both to see how it looks and in hopes it won't take me quite so long as with the first one.

I had printed the pattern out a while back, just now checked it out online, it seems that the pdf is in US terminology :yay, no need to rewrite it.

Here is the link for the pdf...

http://milobo.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/evas-shawl1.pdf

I'm in, just need to finish a couple of projects over the weekend, so then I won't feel guilty for having soooo many projects in the works :hook.

Thanks, bajr! I've already written over my printed pattern but I will save this one just in case.

I am only 5 rows in and have come to a slight snag. I've been using a 8mm hook because anything smaller makes my yarn just look like a big fuzzball. :( In fact, the 8mm did so slightly too so I frogged and switched to a 9mm then blocked a swatch to see if it would de-frizz a bit. It worked a little, now I can make out the stitches at least but is still kind of fuzzy. I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas on how I can make it look smoother?

Yarnluver- I went to the dr. last week to see about my shoulder. It has become painful to the point of tingling and numbness down to my last two fingers if I sit in one position, use my hand too much or crochet for too long. It is kind of scary. The dr. suspects tendonitis but my neck has been making a wierd popping sound when I turn it every so often, so Monday I am going for neck x-rays, and I also will be seeing an orthopedist. I am kind of worried that I will need surgery because of the neck popping but the dr. doesn't think I will. :blush So for now I can only crochet for about 30-45 minutes at a time or my neck becomes very stiff and my arm/shoulder hurts.

Nice, I printed this out. I've been looking for a nice shawl for this beatiful laceweight I got at CGOA this summer. It came with a knitted pattern, but since I don't knit. I think this will show the yarm beautifully. I'll let you know when I start it..

Thanks, bajr! I've already written over my printed pattern but I will save this one just in case.

I am only 5 rows in and have come to a slight snag. I've been using a 8mm hook because anything smaller makes my yarn just look like a big fuzzball. :( In fact, the 8mm did so slightly too so I frogged and switched to a 9mm then blocked a swatch to see if it would de-frizz a bit. It worked a little, now I can make out the stitches at least but is still kind of fuzzy. I am wondering if anyone has any other ideas on how I can make it look smoother?

Yarnluver- I went to the dr. last week to see about my shoulder. It has become painful to the point of tingling and numbness down to my last two fingers if I sit in one position, use my hand too much or crochet for too long. It is kind of scary. The dr. suspects tendonitis but my neck has been making a wierd popping sound when I turn it every so often, so Monday I am going for neck xgo-rays, and I also will be seeing an orthopedist. I am kind of worried that I will need surgery because of the neck popping but the dr. doesn't think I will. :blush So for now I can only crochet for about 30-45 minutes at a time or my neck becomes very stiff and my arm/shoulder hurts.

Hi Stacy! I got started a little while ago, I picked my Patons "Cream Caress" and I'm loving its shimmery, pearly color. I've already had to frog like 3 times but this time it's me, not the pattern, since I'm watching TV I guess I get distracted and put an extra chain where I didn't need it :P. I started with an "H" hook but decided to switch to an "I" (Susan Bates), it's really making very little difference when compared to the one I already made... Since you're using an 8 mm I'm guessing your yarn is not laceweight, what brand/type is it then?

You could actually save yourself a lot of aggravation just going to a good chiropractor. I've had minor neck problems for a while so my hands often tend to go numb while I'm sleeping (which wakes me up...), since I can't afford to go back to my chiro right now I'm just doing the neck exercises he taught me plus others I learned. The best one for me has been one I learned in a book about drinking more water called "Your Body's Many Cried For Water". Drinking plenty of water, btw, is very important because keeping the disks well hydrated keeps them "cushiony" enough whereas partial dehydration can make the disks shrink and eventually become brittle and that's when people have to resort to surgery. I used to have low back pain often but since increasing my water intake it never hurts anymore. I also increased my Vit. D do 1,000 IU (in additon to calcium and magnesium), the reason for this is because some years ago a bone density test showed I had osteopenia showing bone loss in precisely my neck and lower back.

For this exercise all you need to do is first drink a nice tall glass of water and after a whilelie on your bed with your head hanging off of it; rest this way for about a minute to stretch the vertebrae and to allow blood to flow there to rehydrating the disks. Then s-l-o-w-l-y start raising and then lowering your head, after a few times rotate it from side to side while raised. The honest truth is that whenever I remember to do this before going to sleep my hands do not bother me, the problem has been that lately I've been forgetting... So go ahead and try a couple of times a day along with increasing your water intake and tell me if it helped.

Thanks for the advice! I saw a chiropractor some time ago after getting into a serious car accident. I know I did have a slightly twisted vertebrae but he straightened it out mostly and I was down to visiting once every 2 weeks, when I moved to CA. Haven't seen one since. I definitely should look into it, don't know if my new insurance will cover it though and right now I really can't afford to pay one outright. I know hanging my head from the bed was one of the exercises he recommended years ago so I will have to try that. I, too, get numbness/tingling in my hands as sleeping, mostly the tingling though. I drink lots of water, it's almost all I drink- can't stand sodas, but I do enjoy iced tea. :D When I go to see the orthopedist I'm hoping to discuss naturalistic options to fixing my problem as opposed to surgery. I am majorly against medical intervention unless absolutely necessary. I hate doctors. :blush

Regarding my yarn...I got it from the woman downstairs and it has no label. After doing a bit of searching online, I found a pic on Ebay that looks just like it, except mine is blue/dark purple/bright pink. Here it is:

th_mohairyarn.jpg

I thought it was laceweight since that's what the thread running through looks like, but I guess since it is fuzzy it is considered ww. Anyhow, it is not working as I though it would so I will probably try the very thin boucle that I found yesterday under my bed. I also have to run to Joann's for some buttons today so I may have to check out their lacy yarns...:devil

:hookI finished up a couple of things last night, so I got to start on this sooner than I thought :yay. I have had to frog it a couple of times because of the yarn I picked, it is Sensations Rainbow Boucle from JoAnn's, :think probably not the best choice for this shawl. It was looking like a large lump until I went up to a size N hook :lol, at least it is now somewhat lacy looking.

Regarding my yarn...I got it from the woman downstairs and it has no label. After doing a bit of searching online, I found a pic on Ebay that looks just like it, except mine is blue/dark purple/bright pink. Here it is:

th_mohairyarn.jpg

I thought it was laceweight since that's what the thread running through looks like, but I guess since it is fuzzy it is considered ww. Anyhow, it is not working as I though it would so I will probably try the very thin boucle that I found yesterday under my bed. I also have to run to Joann's for some buttons today so I may have to check out their lacy yarns...:devil

Most fuzzy or hairy yarns are considered bulky. So you would have had to use a large hook. :yes

I would like to join in on this one if I may. It may be a week or so before I'm able to start but this has been on my to do list for a while now. One question, though...I will be using a worsted weight acrylic yarn to do this--either Vanna's Choice or Hobby Lobby's ILTY. Any idea how much yarn it will take to make a nice large one?

Most fuzzy or hairy yarns are considered bulky. So you would have had to use a large hook. :yes

Thanks, Carol. I definitely did not know that. :blush I tried to block my swatch once more but ended up getting new yarn from Joann's anyway. :devil I also have a Rainbow Boucle in blue that I'm thinking of trying. I will have to swatch both of them and see which one I like better. If all else fails, I have a few skeins of RH Lustersheen that it would probably look nice with. :yarn

Linda- The pattern states 100 g of laceweight yarn...I have no idea about ww though because I don't know how to do conversions and such. LoL yarnluver has made this shawl though so maybe she can help you.

That's really not at all the criteria that defines "lace weight", it is really one of the finest yarns, please read the definition here: http://knittingcrochet.suite101.com/article.cfm/yarnweight. The Patons Lacette I'm using (and made my first Eva's Shawl out of) is fine but fuzzy, the hook size recommended on the label is "D" or 3.25 mm. I I used an F or G on my first but this time I'm using an "I" just to see if I can get done faster (and doesn't make a huge difference in the size of the stitches though...).

Stacy:

If your yarn is like the one in the pic I'm pretty sure it's lace weight like mine and actually perfect for the Eva's Shawl. Can I ask you why you feel it's not working?

(To bajr also):

The Rainbow Boucle definitely appears thicker and IMO is not quite right for this design, after seeing pictures of Eva's shawls made with other types of yarn I feel its simple design only looks delicate and elegant in lace weight. But if a different look is "what floats your boat" that's your call, of course. ;)

I would like to join in on this one if I may. It may be a week or so before I'm able to start but this has been on my to do list for a while now. One question, though...I will be using a worsted weight acrylic yarn to do this--either Vanna's Choice or Hobby Lobby's ILTY. Any idea how much yarn it will take to make a nice large one?

I'm glad you want to join us, I'm sure we'll be here a while, this shawl doesn't advance very fast IYKWM! I have a question though: Are you sure you want to use a ww yarn for this design? I hope you're aware that it will look and feel very different than the one you're looking at in Michelle's blog but if that is not important to you plunge ahead! Unfortunately I cannot advise you regarding the amount because I've never used either of the yarns you mention nor am experienced enough to calculate needed yarn when switching several numbers (lace weight is #1 and ww is #4...) so I'll let someone else answer your question.

Ok, I had to wait until my camera battery charged so that I could get pics to show what I mean.

This first one is a swatch done with an I hook, I blocked it to see if it would "defuzz" a bit but it pretty much stayed very poufy:

th_purpleshawl001.jpg

It looks really poufy and fuzzy.

Now this second one, I combined the original yarn with a strand of Lustersheen with an N hook, and I think the result is much smoother but doesn't show the pattern as nicely as if it were a single strand and a smaller hook.

th_purpleshawl002.jpg

Thanks for posting pics!

All yarns that have some type of natural wool in it are "fuzzy" and, personally, I see nothing wrong with that other than lace weight being a PITA when frogged; so I liked the way your first sample looked better than the other. Also, since I cannot judge by a picture alone, I'm just wondering if the 2-strand combination will produce a soft and "drapy" shawl as in the original design and I agree that it doesn't show off the stitching as well.

I hope I'm not making it harder for you to decide, I actually understand how you must feel, it's really not easy when we're making something for somebody else! When I bought the Bernat Haven and decided to make the Carmen's Shawl, first off I knew I couldn't use the recommended hook size "K" because even the chains looked undefined. A SB "L" (8 mm) also didn't work so I went on to the "M" (9 mm and equal to Boye's "N") and while it made my work easier I felt the stitching didn't look as in the pictures so I moved on to a SB "N", which is 10 mm (and not so comfortable for me to handle...). The deciding factor for me was that I chose that pattern because I liked the pictures I saw and wanted my finished product to look as much as possible like it. But in your case, comfort is probably the main factor and since your A-i-L has never seen the original it won't make any difference to her if you choose whatever is easier for you to make.

Ok, I have given up on this yarn completely. LoL It is just not turning out how I had thought it would. Now I am using Paton's Grace in Rose. I am already on the 3rd pattern repeat. It will probably be for me, as I have started another pineapple fan shawl for A-i-L. Now just to figure out what in the world to do with the purple yarn...

I just bought my yarn this afternoon. I'm going to use Vanna's Choice in dusty purple and an N hook. That should make it soft and warm. I'll see what I think after doing a few rows and see the size and drape.

How is everyone coming along?

I am on the 3rd repeat with Paton Grace in Rose. It looks nice, IMO.

Yarnluver- I have figured out the problem. My previous yarn was definitely NOT laceweight. :lol I ran to Michael's yesterday and bought out their stock of SWS and Brilliant, but they didn't have Lacette, which I was at least hoping to compare with my purple yarn. Well I went back today as I was "grocery shopping" and they had it!! They had a ton in brilliant blue, I think it is, which happens to be one of my most favorite shades of blue. So of course I bought a ton of that too. :D Then I came home and compared them- no way in the world was my purple fuzzy yarn even close to lace weight or fine yarn, I'm guessing it is bulky or ww at least because it is so fuzzy. Which explains why it did not work. Anyway, just had to share that with ya. :yarn

I'm glad that one's settled! There are so many types of yarn which are similar that to me it was hard to tell the real difference just from a picture but I did have some doubts when you said you couldn't see the stitches with the hook you started out with. I think that one would work well with the Carmen's Shawl!

I understand the Grace is fine so it'll probably work out fine, what hook size are you using with this one?

Congratulations on the Lacette, you were very lucky to find it, it was discontinued a while back; I got mine at Big Lots and a Dollar Tree. Is the blue you got light? Then it's "Beautiful Blue" the same one I have :D. I love Brilliant although I've never seen the "original" in person, I just lucked out in finding a very similar one at a Dollar Tree last month, it's Lilac and I want to make myself a top with it.

As for my current Eva's, I've made 3 pattern repeats too, I didn't work on it at all for at least 2 days. Just like you I've gotten myself into several things at once and I must confess I find the stitching rather :yawn; when I made my first one, inspired by the "row-a-day" CAL (which I didn't join) I forced myself to work on it every day and to my surprise was done faster than I thought.

Howdy y'all. I just started on this shawl using Bernat's Super Value in that very pretty pink colour and using an 8mm hook. This is going to be a winner fer shure :yay

It feels light and lacy while working so I am really looking forward to finishing this one. It seems to be one that works up quickly.

All that just to say that I think I am joining in - if that's ok. :wlol

I have finished one of the large skeins of Vanna's choice and like the way it is looking (I think I have about 7 repeats of the pattern). I am using a K hook. I have one problem, though. I am plus-sized and I don't really like how far the shawl is coming around me; I would rather it be bigger so it would wrap around me more. Any ideas on an easy way to make each section wider without disturbing the overall effect of the pattern? I don't mind frogging and starting over; after all, I haven't spent that much time on it yet and would rather have something I would be more satisfied with after I finished. Any and all help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure you could just keep working the pattern until it is as big as you would like it to be.

Yarnluver- yes it is the light blue, I just checked and it is beautiful blue. I :manyheart it. I cannot wait to work it into something- unfortunately I made a promise to myself that I would have to finish all of my Christmas projects before making something with my new yarns. I'm such a procrastinator, I need some kind of motivation. :lol

Archived