alternative to using chain 3 as first double crochet stitch

starywary

Question

I hope that made sense. I have been having a hard time searching for this subject. I know I had seen it somewhere before (why oh why didn't I bookmark it?) but now that I need to use it I can't remember where I might have seen it.

The method showed how to do a row or round of single or double crochet ( or other stitches I'm assuming) without using a chain 1, 2, or 3 as the first stitch.

I'm making a baby blanket of pretty simple 4" squares that call for two rounds of dc in the middle, and a border of dc with tc corners. But I wish I could change the inconsistency that using the chain 3 as the first dc causes.

Is anyone familiar with the method I'm talking about? Am I making sense? lol :think

16 answers to this question

In her book Beyond the Square, Edie Eckman has a technique for a "standing double crochet" which avoids the turning chain. You begin by putting a slip knot on the hook, then just create a double crochet at the beginning of the new row (or where ever). She suggests picking out the slip knot if it bothers you.

I pulled up this old thread because I figured out another way to avoid that chain three space, and I wanted to see if it was already listed somewhere. I didn't find it, so I'm going to share it here......(drum roll, please).......

If you're working in DC, when you've turned your piece, chain two, then where you would have skipped the first stitch top, wrap your yarn for a DC, insert your hook normally, pull up a loop, pull the yarn through two loops on your hook, and then again through the three loops on your hook. It's like a decrease, or DC2tog with the chains acting as one of the DC. You'll see that you have two stitches there, but only one top to them. It's important to remember that they only count as one stitch, but as you're stitching the next row it shouldn't throw you off because there's only one top to stitch into.

I've been using this method for a little while now, and I like it very much! I hope it helps somebody here! I decided to put it in this thread so that all the methods mentioned would get another audience. I'm sure different patterns will require diffferent methods to keep that dreaded space away!

:hook

If I'm working in the round, or doing granny squares, I try to plan it so that the chain is in one of the corners. I also use a variety of alternative methods, including a couple of the ones mentioned above.

I have been working on my second round ripple and found that doing an sc-ch1 looks better for me. :D

OMG - this worked so great!!!! My granny squares look so much better - I wish I could go back and re-do the other ones I've made but that would take way too long!!!

Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!

:cheer:clap

You're welcome :D

OMG - this worked so great!!!! My granny squares look so much better - I wish I could go back and re-do the other ones I've made but that would take way too long!!!

Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!

Another method is to:

ch 3, turn, insert hook through 2nd chain from hook, draw through a loop, insert hook into next dc, draw up a loop, yo, work off 2 loops, yo, work off remaining 2 loops, continue to dc across the row.

This joins the first full dc to the ch3, closing the gap between the turning chain stitch and the first real stitch. You need to be very careful to work into the turning chain on your way back though, as it is even a bit more tricky to find than your standard turning chain.

I picked this method up from Lily Chin's "Couture Crochet Workshop", I am sure that she explains it much better than me :), and she has pictures, I believe (I checked it out from the library, so I do not have it on hand to refer to...)

Cheers,

that's a great tip!

Another method is to:

ch 3, turn, insert hook through 2nd chain from hook, draw through a loop, insert hook into next dc, draw up a loop, yo, work off 2 loops, yo, work off remaining 2 loops, continue to dc across the row.

This joins the first full dc to the ch3, closing the gap between the turning chain stitch and the first real stitch. You need to be very careful to work into the turning chain on your way back though, as it is even a bit more tricky to find than your standard turning chain.

I picked this method up from Lily Chin's "Couture Crochet Workshop", I am sure that she explains it much better than me :), and she has pictures, I believe (I checked it out from the library, so I do not have it on hand to refer to...)

Cheers,

Another method is to:

Cheers,

i think i know what you're referring to! when you reach the end of the row, instead of ch 3 you hook your needle from behind into last stich, wrap yarn around needle pull it thru and turn then going into the side of that stitch make another ch, etc until you have the amount of stitches you want. this gives you extra sturdy stitches and doesn't cause that ugly loopy hole when you do the normal ch 3 method. hope this is helpful in some way!!

Archived