Teaching crochet in public school

Have any of you ever taught crochet at public school during school hours? Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated.

When I was in middle school we had "exploratory classes" last period. The teachers taught their hobbies or other things that interested them. Now this is not offered. The students that do not take band have study hall. I was thinking about approaching the principal about teaching crochet during that time twice a week.

I live in a rural area, where not much is offered. The closest department store is 45 minutes away in any direction. I would really like to give back to my community and give the kids a skill that will last them a lifetime. For me, it is very satisfying to give someone a shawl or an amigurumi. Their face lighting up is all the reward I need :crocheting

I personally think it would be a better after school project. One that way you have the parents permission to do so. Crochet can be an expensive hobby and some parents just can't afford it. So then you have a child all ready to crochet but still can't. I know that sounds mean, but that's the way it is.

I wouldn't want my child learning to crochet during school time. I guess you are saying it would be an elective? Who supplies all the yarn, patterns [i know some patterns you can't copy], hooks and everything else that is needed? That gets expensive and most schools can't afford to supply that stuff.

In theory it's a great idea...I'm not sure that it will work though.

I appreciate your input. Yes, it would only be for the kids that want to learn. I would ask businesses or other people in the community to donate for the supplies. It definitely is not set in stone. I was just kicking around the idea. When my kids were in public school, I volunteered there at least a full day each week in the office or classroom. Always heard way more information than the average person would get to know. I get where you are coming from pasteeater:yes

I think this is a great idea. If you feel that this is something that you really feel like doing, then just go ask the pricipal and talk things over. Maybe the pricipal and the teachers can ask the kids if this would something that they would like to maybe do some time. That way you will fined out if you can do this in study hall or after school.

May kids in the middle school have study hall and they read if there is no home work to do. I wouldn't mind if they where learning something new, they might use for others.

We need more hands on (kids learning a trade).

I taught crochet to my students after Hurricane Katrina. Those who came told me that making our hats (we made bright hats for children with cancer) took their minds off their own problems, and made them feel better because they were helping others. I am hosting another "service learning" class this Fall, and we are making scarves for the Special Olympics 2009.

I have taught at an elementary school over the lunch hour.

In my situation, there's a big push on "literacy" right now in the Toronto schools and the principals won't "spare" a period for anything other than Math or English studies. It was either teach at lunch or afterschool.

Lunchtime was great, especially in winter, as it gave the kids somewhere cozy to go. We had our classes in the library and we sat around in beanbag chairs. I brought my radio and we played music. I originally took in 17 kids thinking that some would "drop out". At the end of June, we had the same 17 kids coming pretty much every week. :lol The kids ate first in the lunchroom, then came to knit. We didn't have a lot of time (about 30 minutes) but when kids are young, that's plenty of time. They also practiced at home. In warmer weather, we brought blankets and sat outside.

The yarn was donated by other parents (and my stash was quite large so I opened that up), as were the hooks. Once word got out, we had people who would show up at the school office with bags of yarn asking if we could take it off their hands. :lol I also had a few parent volunteers who came in to help when they could. One parent donated crocheting bags to each of the children that she purchased at the dollar store (17 x $1 = $17).

The kids ranged in age from 5 (she loved to finger knit) to 11. Everyone learned and the kids helped each other. It was a very rewarding experience. Now many of the kids are in middle school and when they see me they keep asking if I'll come to their new school and teach again.

Hope that helps!

Cheryl.

Look up Needle Arts Mentoring Program's website. Just type it in and Google it. They help you get started by sending you some how to books and yarn and hooks. It has great information you would also be able to give to your principle showing the benefits of crochet. Supposedly studies show it helps to develop math skills. I think it is a great idea. It would be helpful if you could find a couple of people who could volunteer and come in and help teach crochet with you. Maybe a grandmother or retired person. It helps having more than one person to help! I started a little group in a small town I work in, and about three others help me out. It seems like when you teach them, they need individual help, and it can really wear you out if you do it alone, unless since you are a teacher, you are used to that already aren't you!! Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes!!:hook

Look up Needle Arts Mentoring Program's website. Just type it in and Google it. They help you get started by sending you some how to books and yarn and hooks. It has great information you would also be able to give to your principle showing the benefits of crochet. Supposedly studies show it helps to develop math skills. I think it is a great idea. It would be helpful if you could find a couple of people who could volunteer and come in and help teach crochet with you. Maybe a grandmother or retired person. It helps having more than one person to help! I started a little group in a small town I work in, and about three others help me out. It seems like when you teach them, they need individual help, and it can really wear you out if you do it alone, unless since you are a teacher, you are used to that already aren't you!! Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes!!:hook

:yesI certainly can see how it would bring in math! I still think this is g ood idea.Kids need more or hobbies then just video games!

• 4 weeks later...

Jenny,

Thanks for your direction to Angelicrafts! I did order that yarn (and so much more). At the second class meeting, we had 13 scarves completed! Even my "leftie," who had never even picked up a hook, had two made! We are having a great time, and our goal is 50 scarves. I think we will make it!

Jenny, what a nice idea. In elementary school (35 years ago) we had a home economics class which included sewing on machines for a 1/4 of the school year and we made tote bags along with a basic introduction to sewing generally. I WISH crochet had been included. A lot of schools don't have a home ec course, and with overcrowding and failing scores in the basics, stuff like art, music and even P.E. classes have suffered. Even if it is after class for an hour, it is well worth pursuing, AND, the kids who sign up will actually WANT to be there and learn the "art" of crochet and that is a big head start. I agree with a prior post in that many parents will donate supplies, if not time and a bit of $ to get it started. Much good luck to you. HUgs, Donna

• 2 months later...

i'm an elementary art teacher in an urban school and i teach crochet all the time, grades 4-8, usually. in all honesty, very few principals will give you the time of day unless you incorporate math, science, or reading into it. maybe the geometrics and proportions, the science of dyeing, blah blah blah. my art program subsists on about $1 per student per year. if i can run it mostly on donations (grants and begging and pleading) you can too.

a charity theme would be a good selling point as well.

only teach 4-5 kids at a time, depending on age group. and once you find one or two kids who get it, have them help out the other ones.

i agree, after school would be better or have a conversation with the art teacher.

best of luck, i know i'm late on this topic.

steph

The latest "Talking Crochet" e-mail news letter had an article about school kids crocheting scaves for the troops. Perhaps if you tied it to a local charity or Warm Up America, project Linus etc it would go over well. The kids can easily learn to do squares or scarves.

Do a web search and find articles about school kids helping in this way. It will help support your cause with the administration and parents.

I think you have a wonderful idea and hope you're able to succeed with your desire. Everyone has had great suggestions for you to consider. I know that the school where one of our sons & daughter likes works has a fiber arts class. Those kids produce some wonderful stuff. I enjoy going to the spring art show just for that! Anyway, hope you can get it off the ground ... we need more people to give time to kids.

• 2 months later...

awesome idea! my college taught 18 year olds how to knit, i could already knit after learning when i was about 6, now that im 18 im a pro knitter, Im supprised crochet isnt encouraged as much as knitting is when it comes to fashion design in England. I know it is everywhere in America.

At my son's school, because of all the cut backs, there isn't any money for elective classes. To keep some electives, the school has asked parents to teach an elective class of their choice. Of course it has to be approved by the principle.

This is his first year at this school, and I couldn't schedule work around it...but I really hope to offer crochet next year. They did offer a knitting class and I donated all my knitting needles.....because I never could figure out how to knit.

I hope you do something like that. I was 8 when I learned and I really appreciate someone teaching me when I was young.

Archived