Would anyone be willing???

hockeymomcrochets

I just received an email about this.

Friends of Jason

Alot of my older son's ksons are from Helmetta as they are a VERY small town and don't have their own school system so they are bussed to ours from Pre-K through High School and my younger son just moved from Schoenley School to the next school in our system (grades 2-5). I saw the tricky tray and was wondering if anyone thinks it would be a good idea or would be interested in making some items to donate that can be made into baskets. Maybe a layette set that can have other baby items added or some ami's or whatever. Maybe some Christmas ornaments? Maybe some winter scarf and hat sets and I can add hot coco and mug to it or maybe bath sets. I don't know. This just hit too close to home and I feel like I have to do something.

I wanted to put it out before contacting the people organizing it. I am going to make a round ripple afghan for it most likely and would like to make a comfort ghan for the little boy and his sister while they are in the hospital. Maybe I should start looking for a prayer shawl pattern for the mom right now too.

As soon as I get one pattern I have to test out of the way and the hockey afghan done then Christmas will take back seat to this for me.

PM me or email if you are interested or leave any other ideas and/or thoughts here. It's going to be a long haul for this family.

Thanks! :hug

What is a tricky tray?

I've got a couple of doilies not doing anything that I could send, if you think they'd be of any use in a fundraiser. I'd be willing to make a special one, maybe in Christmas colors, if you think it would be of any use. Let me know.

I found this that someone wrote on what a tricky tray is:

A tricky tray is a raffle of sorts. People and businesses provide prizes that will be won. (Often they are placed on trays and wrapped in cellophane, hence the "tray" part of the name. All prizes are arranged on tables with bags in front of each.

Those attending the tricky tray purchase sheets of tickets that are like 50/50 drawing tickets. You put one half of each ticket in the bag of the prize you hope to win, keeping the other half so that you have your numbers.

You can put as many or as few tickets into each bag as you wish, obviously putting more tickets in bags of prizes that you hope to win, and putting none in prizes that you're not interested in.

There is a specified amount of time to put your tickets in, and then they start drawing.

Someone reaches into bag #1 and pulls a ticket and reads the number. If you have the matching number, you get the prize. Then they move on through all the prizes.

Then......to add additional excitement, there are specialty items that require specific tickets that are more expensive to purchase. Things like TV's, vacations, show tickets, etc. all might be special tickets.

Tricky trays can be great fun, especially if you go with a group of friends.

As to the last part of your question-I'm not sure if Allamuchy has one, but there are tricky trays in the area often!

My additional info:

Usually there are sheets with a bunch of numbers on them and you keep the top stub with the number and then the other numbers you tear off and put in the bag.

Around by me many have found that grouping items and putting them into a basket of some sort and putting cellophane and some nice ribbons on makes for better prizes and people buying more tickets.

Usually there is an "at the door" entry donation of $10 or $20 and then you get X amount of tickets for small, med and large items and they also sell extras cards of tickets that you can purchase and most people do.

In our state you have to have a gaming license which I believe the church they are holding it in has because many groups hold such charity events there with the church as a sponsor donating the space and it also saves on a couple of months of applying for one as a non-profit organization.

They are really alot of fun. You usually have a hour to browse around and put your tickets in. They sell pastries and such and everyone usually gets a group of friends to go and sit together and just get a night out.

Depending on the amount of prizes (baskets) they have it could take 2-3 hours to go through all the prizes once they start pulling the numbers. So people don't have to get up and get the prizes, they have kids from the high school volunteer to be "runners" and when you hold up your hand (or some people have fun and bring toy wands or ribbons to shake) they bring the gift and verify your number and then go back up in line with the other runners so things keep moving along.

What is a tricky tray?

I've got a couple of doilies not doing anything that I could send, if you think they'd be of any use in a fundraiser. I'd be willing to make a special one, maybe in Christmas colors, if you think it would be of any use. Let me know.

I'm sure they could put some doilies together with some different teas and a nice teapot or something. They will find things that go together or they will purchase (or I will) things to make a basket.

As soon as I hear back from the lady I will let everyone know what her email says.

Thank you so much! :hug

What kind of items do you think would go? I might be able to come up with a few things. I have always wanted to make a purse for a little girl (oh the nights I planned everything out about having a daughter). Anyhow.

They have baskets at these things from everything to anything, from baskets of cheer (liquor) to hot wheels theme, to game night theme. Pretty much anything can be made into a basket with other items.

As soon as I hear from her I will post about her reply.

Thank you! :hug

Let me see if I can come up with anything. When would you like this all by?

I emailed the person who is coordinating all the events this afternoon and hope to hear back to her tonight, so hang on until I hear back ok? Hopefully I will have an answer by tomorrow sometime.

Having worked on putting one together with our PTA once I would guess a month before, because they put the cellophane on and decorate and number baskets, but that's what I need to find out from her.

Thanks so much again! :hug:manyheart

I just heard from the contact for the family. She is very thankful in advance to anyone for their help. She provided me with her number and my son has hockey tonight but I will call her sometime this week and get a date that she needs items by. :manyheart

I have donated many things to a local fire company that has them here twice a year.

I have made magnet sets, dishrag sets, stuffed candy corn pillows (for their fall one), cradle purses, stuffed footballs, baby afghans, and many other items. It just depends on what yarn I have on hand and what I feel like making at the time. They are always very appreciative!

I wish I had more time to help you out but I am at the hospital seeing doctors 3 to 4 times a week (high risk pregnancy--my son is very small and I am due in October and they may have to take the baby a little early) so I can't commit to helping right now.

I wish nothing but the best for the family and lots of success on the "tricky tray"!

I have donated many things to a local fire company that has them here twice a year.

I have made magnet sets, dishrag sets, stuffed candy corn pillows (for their fall one), cradle purses, stuffed footballs, baby afghans, and many other items. It just depends on what yarn I have on hand and what I feel like making at the time. They are always very appreciative!

I wish I had more time to help you out but I am at the hospital seeing doctors 3 to 4 times a week (high risk pregnancy--my son is very small and I am due in October and they may have to take the baby a little early) so I can't commit to helping right now.

I wish nothing but the best for the family and lots of success on the "tricky tray"!

thanks for the ideas!

i have an October baby (he was 4 weeks early) and boy, talk about strong willed. prepare yourself. :lol Good luck with everything. Praying all goes well. :hug

Sending to me by Nov 1 is fine because I'm literally 5 minute drive away and will be putting things together as I make/receive anything.

Just PM me for my addy if you would like to make and send anything.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have some dishrags I could send and Maybe I could get a scarf made or something.....are there any colors that would be relevant to the area? High school colors or college team colors that might be seeked out by the people in the area? Otherwise, I'll just wing it! Hopefully I can get something done by then....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived