What would you do?

AuntyM

First of all, let me say that I crochet most of my gifts.

Last Saturday I visited my local thrift store.

What should I find in the bin marked "Potholders" but a potholder I had made! I examined it carefully, and yes indeedy it was one of mine.

Brand new, never been used.

I bought it back, for 25 cents.

I don't remember who I gifted it to :think, but I was disappointed that some friend of mine would have donated it to the thrift store. :eek

Granted, it is impolite to return a gift to the giver, and I must admit that she donated it to a good cause. But still....

If I could remember who, I certainly would not give her anything in the future, that's for sure!!

I know it was very hard to see something you worked on in the thrift store. But what I try to do is tell myself that this is a gift. Once it leaves my hands it is entirely up to the recipient what they do with it. It could have been donated accidentally or the person could have thought that she was donated something good that would be bought quickly. But here is a :hug to help you feel better.

i know it was very hard to see something you worked on in the thrift store. But what i try to do is tell myself that this is a gift. Once it leaves my hands it is entirely up to the recipient what they do with it. It could have been donated accidentally or the person could have thought that she was donated something good that would be bought quickly. But here is a :hug to help you feel better.

ditto

*grimace* Ouch. :hug

I mainly crochet gifts for people when they say point-blank (or I know them well enough to know) that they'd like it. Like the belt I'm making for my friend for this Sat—she very directly said she'd liked mine and the clasp, and I even called her up to ask her about length and width. Sure, it ruins the surprise, but I know she'll get a lot of good use out of it.

I believe in what Karin said - Yes it is a disappointment because you put your time in and money to make something and that person decided to do with it what they will - but it is a gift and once it leaves - it is really out of your control.

I would try hard to remember who it was. I learned this lesson the hard way as well - one of the things I made ended up in the garbage :eek. (ex SIL) I started keeping track of what folks ordered, and what I gave as gifts etc. And I would make things for certain folks anymore (same ex)

I told myself its OK - there are MANY other people who appreciate hand made items.

I know how you feel..I hate making something for someone and they don't appreciate it! The ones that I know that doesn't like my crochet items..I just don't make them any! But same goes w/ bought items that I find out that they rewrap and give to someone else!

How sad, I'd feel hurt, too. I think some people just don't realize how much work goes into our handcrafted gifts. I try to only make things for people who will really like them because of the effort involved. (For example, I have one brother-in-law who hates home made gifts, so I buy for him, and another who loves them, so he gets my crafts.)

I know how you feel!! I went to a family member's yard sale and found things there I had made for her. She was trying hard to cover the stuff up, with quilts and other items. I cried once I left there, because she had asked me to give her my crocheted item's for gifts. She no longer recieve's my handmade gifts.

:hug

Blessings,

Lynn

Awww, that's mean!

On a related note:

I think there's a tendency in the English-speaking world to compliment things in a way that seems more enthusiastic than the speaker actually means (some actually even gush, which makes me squirm) - you know, "Oh, that's so pretty! That's so cute!" etc. I once read in an intercultural study that many English-speakers (and especially Americans) do this as a way of establishing an emotional connection ("Oh, I love your hair!" "Your sweater is gorgeous!" "What a precious dog!") to the other person - like a dog wagging his tail. Yes, well, that's all very fine and well for the academic boffins to say, but they should try handing over the fruits of their 40-hour crocheted labour to some ungrateful biddy who previously crooned over your work - and then goes and passes it on to a charity store :sigh

In that respect I've come to appreciate the Germans, who are, um, refreshingly direct. You earn your praise with them, haha.

Yikes! That hurts just to think about it. I quit making things for my son for a while - after he told me he SHRUNK the lovely handknit (yes, I knit too) wool socks I made him for Christmas. He added insult to injury by letting me know he gave them to a particularly slouchy girlfriend.

You have my complete sympathy!

mac+

whose son doesn't get socks any more!!

Oh, Aunty M, my feelings would be so hurt if that happened to me. But it might be a blessing that you can't remember who you gave it to (this tells me that you are a very generous person and give gifts to many). You will never know the story behind how it ended up at the thrift shop. On the other hand, maybe you will wonder about ALL of your friends. I hope not. Here is another :hug for you.

sorry that happend to you, at my local thrift store they always have lots of crochet items for sale that are donated. Some stuff is really good or a great buy. I have bought some items that i know would be good to have. I actually like to see all those items, i saw

once a bag full of bunny fridges like 50 of them, and i thought about the person who made them and how long must of they have taken on them. And for only 2 buck. so sad!

:hug <---for you

Archived