Teaching Classes

Guest SamplerLady

Question

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifMy daughter signed me up to teach crochet classes at her yarn store. That in and of itself is okay, however the first class is next Thursday! :wow

I would like to ask some help. Can you list the one or two things you find/found hardest to understand when you learned to crochet? The things you wish someone had been right next to you to say, "Try it this way, it might be easier." :heart

Once we know how to do something it's hard to remember how frustrating it can be to learn how to do it. :D

Thanks for any help!

about the hook size ----

isn't changing your hook size for initial chain a "fix it" method?

my opinion is that they should be taught to work with the hook size given and THEN if they just CAN'T get it right, maybe go up.....

because some patterns actually call for a larger hook size on the chain... then what would you do???

just my :twocents

Guest SamplerLady
The more I do the more it clicks.
mmouseplus.gifAnd that is the hardest thing to teach a new student. Eventually, with practice, it'll click. :D

Guest NCAugeriFan

Thanks Coralie ~ I'm beginning to be able to read some patterns and they make sense to me (more than just a row of single or double crochet). I was looking though a afghan book last weekend and started reading some of the patterns and it all started to click. There was a box with directions on how to do a puff stitch. I picked up yarn and crochet hook and I made a puff stitch. The more I do the more it clicks.

:danc

Cadie

Tension: Would it be helpful to stress doing the initial chain with a hook a size larger?

I have to disagree with the ladies who said to start out with the "proper" hook. I had a HORRIBLE time getting that initial chain to come out right, so after someone here suggested going up a hook size I tried it and POOF it was perfect - and had the added benefit of being able to see how that initial chain compares to the stitches (I don't know how to better explain that). Now the last project I did, I was able to use the "right" size from the beginning because I knew how it should look. I think the key there, too, is to make sure they understand the importance of doing an initial swatch - it can make a huge difference, especially for beginniners.

I'm going to chime in on the "reading patterns" thing - I still struggle with that. I'm one of those people who would prefer to read it ahead before doing, but have found that it actually seems to work better if you read as you go ... again that initial test swatch comes to mind, lol!

The hardest for me was learning to read the pattern and not losing my place in it :faint What I did was to make a copy of the pattern if it was in a book, and then mark off the rows with a pencil as I finished them.. it worked for me.

With the tension, I did the pulling the thread through without a needle thing with my 9 year old, to help her understand how she holds her fingers help determine how the thread will roll through and not to let it too loose or keep it too tight..

Loved the "hanging onto the needle for dear life" analogy.. made me giggle.. :wink

I've found that uptight people need that additional help to get them over the bumps in the road. Of course many of them really didn't want to learn but thought they "should" because "everyone else" could do it.

Omg tell me about it... :ohdear

I had one student a few months ago who spent the whole class sharing how how she can't do anything, and has failed at everything she has tried... when a student sets themself up like that, they're guaranteed to fail, because they won't LET themselves succeed. She didn't show up for the second class. Even the other students said she was just setting herself up for failure.

I try my best to make my students feel OK about screwing up. I joke about it with them, and we set things right. I hope they leave feeling better about it, which will help them succeed -- because it's OK to screw up when you're trying to learn something new!

My next task is to find a way to encourage people to just DIVE IN with a pattern. If I didn't just dive in and give it a whirl, I'd have moved on to some other craft right away! I have to figure out how to remove the fear of abbrevations and shorthand.

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI find that doing it helps if I can visualize it. The other thing is plain old faith. Telling myself, "Self, others have done this and it works. It can't be that complicated so try it exactly as it reads and see if you can't figure it out." Most, not all, but most of the time, reading and doing it makes the plain "reading it" click and I understand it.

What you see as a big blob is actually a small circle of double crochets that radiate out in a wheel type fashion. Once you've been crocheting awhile, you'll also know that making a chain and joining and dc in the ring wll produce the same results. Especially if you crochet over the tail and then tug on the tail to tighten up the ring. Some things just come with experience. :D

Suebee, thanks for your input. I'll print it out to add to my resources when I get 'round to writing up my lesson plan. I did teach a group to crochet about a year ago and wish I'd remembered to teach them to use a larger hook for the initial chain. It would have sped things up and prevented a bunch of frustration with that group. So I guess it depends on the group. I've found that uptight people need that additional help to get them over the bumps in the road. Of course many of them really didn't want to learn but thought they "should" because "everyone else" could do it. :D

Guest NCAugeriFan

Here is an example of a newbie having trouble reading patterns. I was looking around in the blogs at all the beautiful items everyone has created (going wow and my heart beating pitter patter hoping that one day I'll get to create all these fabulous items) and looked at a pattern for a hat from Dot's blog. And boom - the directions confused me :thinking2

ROW 1: ch 3, 11 dc in first ch. Join in first dc. (12 dc counting first 2 chains as a st)

Now this makes no sense to me. To me it looks like this is saying chain 3 and then put 11 double crochets in the first chain? and then join in the first double crochet? In my mind I see a big blob :P If you put 11 dc in that first chain (of the 3) before joining, how do you know which one is the first dc? That's a lot of dc in a little chain.

Boy what I wrote didn't even make sense - I'm totally :loco confused. Will it ever make sense!!! That's why I like it when I'm shown how to do it so it will make sense. I haven't tried it but I guess that's one reason why this is a little intimidating to those new to crochet and reading patterns.

Ok - experienced folks you can laugh at silly me! :rotfl

Cadie

I just taught the first night of a beginner class last night, so a few ideas are fresh in my mind...

1. Know a few ways to accomplish the beginning slip knot... they way I do it now can be too fast and confusing for a beginner, so I have tried to learn a number of ways of teaching it so if someone can't get it one way, one of the other ways may click.

2. I agreewith Rebecca to have them start with the regular hook size, and only have them switch to a larger hook to chain IF they are having a real problem with the tension. Sometimes they just need to practice the tension a bit, and it may loosen as they work.

3. I think the main thing with difficulty reading patterns, honestly, is fear. People try to read them, and they read like Japanese stereo instructions if you try to just read them. I encourage them to do two things:

a. Always read the abbreviation chart with a book or pattern first, and, just like math symbols, commit a few to memory. For example, when you see a + sign in a math problem, you know to add... you don't say "ah, I know to do this because I learned it in math class in first grade," it's just become second nature to you to interpret + as "add." You need to train your brain to view the more common crochet abbreviations the same way. :D

b. Always have a hook and practice yarn in hand, and DO what the directions say instead of trying to visualize it in your head -- which is what I think many students try to do. I did that when I started out, and it frustrated me to no end.

One of my students last night recommended that I come up with five examples of pattern directions, and demonstrate how to read them next week. I am probably only going to do three, though. I was also provided with a "How to Read Patterns" hand-out by Jo-Ann's for teaching my class (that is where I teach), but unfortunately I can't share that document, for copyright/legal reasons. *sigh* If I could, I would, though.

I wish you luck!

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifThanks for all the ideas, ladies! You are all truly appreciated! I'll be writing up my lesson plan soon and will post here for help on "is that clear?" stuff! :D

Guest NCAugeriFan

Writing out the patterns in long hand does help. I have the book Crocheting for Dummies and for some patterns they will have the pattern and underneath an explaination written in long hand. I've looked on line and there are lots of sites that help with the pattern explaination in simple english. Plus explainations about (), [ ]. * and how to read patterns when all are used in the same row or round....a little intimidating for a newbie. :shrug

Another helpful item - pattern charts...

Also - granny squares....you may want to do a sample square with each round a different color so each round would stand out and easier to follow.

Cadie :sun

Guest NCAugeriFan

Problems as a beginner - tension - I found that I was holding my thread wrong...now after seeing someone do it correctly, my tension is better and the thread moves more smoothly.

I just completed a scarf that had a row of sc, a row of hdc, row of dc, row of tr and row of dtr throughout the pattern. I didn't have any problem with that because I just did a row of one type of stitch per row.

Patterns are overwhelming esp when there are multiple directions in a row - have a hard time understanding what *'s ()'s means.

Hope this helps.

Cadie

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI think any method that works is workable and "right." Lots of accomplished crocheters use a larger hook for the initial chain just to keep the frustration level low. :)

On the other hand (I'm a Libra and can't help it) :rofl once a student gets the hang of not holding on to hook and yarn as though their life depended on it, the need for a larger hook will probably be eliminated. :)

Again, thanks for all your comments. I'll be writing up some stuff in the next couple days and will test it out on y'all!

I would definitely show them to make the starting chain one hook size up... I remember my stitches being so small I could barely shove my hook thru!

As for the placement, I really am a stitch counter type. When I first learned I would count almost every single row to make sure I had the correct number of stitches. Now, I only have to do that occasionally, and now that I know about stitch markers I think those would have helped me to identify the tc and whatnot.

And for both pattern reading and stitch placement, I think the patterns that have a visual diagram to accompany the words (like the Stitch Bible) are really helpful for when I wouldn't otherwise know where to place my stitch.

And my last :twocents are using light/bright colored yarn so it is easy to see stitches, and if possible maybe even bulky weight with a large hook as it might be easier to manipulate and again, easier to see. (i know bulky is more expensive then super saver, but I love to work with Wool-Ease bulky because it is so easy and quick, and I imagine it would be similar for beginners.)

Edited: Oh yeah! I like Stitch Guide too, the pix are pretty clear. I'm not sure about other sites cuz I usually just come here, LOL! But some good beginner books are

How to Crochet

Crochet Basics

These are what a friend from work is using to learn (I am too impatient to teach, unfortunately) and she's having a lot of success!

Favorite fall back site.... well my first choice is almost always here ;) but I would have to say Stitch Guide is a favorite because of the videos and

<a href="http://www.obgidge.com/gg09.html" target="_new">Weekly Lessons</a> For the many different stitches there.

Funny thing, I did a quick goggle for "crochet help" and Crochetville was second on the list lol. Bella Online came up first.

As for pattern reading, definately the abreviation thing was rough in the beginning, and understanding what all the *'s ()'s and such meant. Learning to keep my place in the pattern too, I finally got smart and kept a pencil beside me so I could mark my way thrugh and erase when I was done. Took me a while to figure out that not all patterns were absolutely correct too so I thought it was my screw up when in some cases it was a typo or something in the pattern.

I wish someone would have told me to make the initial chain with a bigger hook way back when lol so I would definately say to teach them that!

SLady, I envy the people you will teach, you have taught me so much already, but I wish I was in AZ so I could attend your class!

Marvie

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifWell, I just found out that I'd heard my daughter incorrectly and it's NEXT month I'll be teaching. That's good news as it gives me a bit more time to work up a lesson plan with all the ideas presented here.

Tension: Would it be helpful to stress doing the initial chain with a hook a size larger?

Natalie, how did you eventually solve your stitch placement problem?

What is the problem with reading patterns? It's so second nature to me now..... Is it the abbreviations? Please be as specific as you can as to what stumps you in reading patterns.

Marvie, good idea about a list of sites for them to go to. What is everyone's favorite fall back site to go to when "I just don't get it"?

Thank you all for your help and I'll share my class outline with y'all as I do along looking for critiques! Then we can put it somewhere here and direct newbies to it for help when they get stuck!

I agree with everyone else's suggestions but would also add that along with all of that, maybe give them a printout or something with some helpful links where they can go if they get stuck after the class is complete. I swear that between this place, and the various helpful tutorials and such I've learned an awful lot. So I'd say the best "gift" you could give them is a list of links, maybe at the end of the class?

Just my :twocents

Marvie

I think my biggest problem was and still is - learning to gauge a pattern. I never do it and if I would, I would be alot better off. Also - reading patterns when you first start out is very difficult. I still am most comfortable with my 3 fav stitches, sc, hdc and dc....i'm a crochet stitch nerd.

I agree with the tension! My biggest problem was learning to read a pattern, I was clueless! My granny only taught me how to do the stitches by themselves, never how to read a pattern :ohdear

I recently taught my neighbor how to crochet and I made sure I told her that it takes practice and your first project might be something you will never wear and laugh your butt off over..just because of tension!! Now, she's on her second afghan and it rocks!!

Have a great time,

Donna

Archived