Homemade Niddy-Noddy!

I got the "man" to make me this perfectly wonderful kniddy knoddy for winding my own skeins of yarn after seeing this one http://neauveau.com/wrapaskein.html . We just got a 2x4 and placed a nail on each end, 3 feet apart, to count each yard as I wind:

th_DSCF0448.jpg

The finished product:

th_DSCF0450.jpg

This will come is super handy when I start dyeing!

Bec

:hook

Great job Bec (and her man gg)

Deneen....I made several of these PVC niddy's. I made in several sizes to get smaller skeins (you know yard length and two yard length)

I often wash the skein right on the niddy as the PVC can get wet. I want to try dying on the niddy but just haven't done that yet. Looks like a project to try later this coming week though as the kids want to dye some yarn my SP sent.

$10.00 should be able to get you quite a bit of pipe and fittings and you should be able to make 2 or 3 from that. I can't remember how many I made (I gave a few away).

I want "my man" to make me one too, but I need it a bit smaller. I have been eyeing them and am being thrifty. I need it for dyeing and spinning. Can you tell I'm green with envy?????

Oh!!

I just had hubby make me a few of those PVC ones, but I didn't know there was instruction :eek We ended up doing the exact same thing, down to the measurements. And here I thought I was being so clever for thinking that up for myself :rofl

He made me 6, I think it cost all of $10 for materials. One little tip for using them. When you start winding, use a rubber band to secure the first end to the K/N. It's much easier than trying to wind while keeping your thumb on the end, plus it's easy to find the end when you are done.

Holly

I saw on the Meilke's site they used rubber washers to hold the yarn.

Also, you should have your husband make a few and sell them (hint-hint). My husband is not so handy!

Oh!!

I just had hubby make me a few of those PVC ones, but I didn't know there was instruction :eek We ended up doing the exact same thing, down to the measurements. And here I thought I was being so clever for thinking that up for myself :rofl

He made me 6, I think it cost all of $10 for materials. One little tip for using them. When you start winding, use a rubber band to secure the first end to the K/N. It's much easier than trying to wind while keeping your thumb on the end, plus it's easy to find the end when you are done.

Holly

Oooh, I like the hump/handle! I could see that being easier to hold.

If you want to estimate the lenght of your skeins, take a piece of yarn and do one complete "wrap" of the K/N. Measure how long that is (On mine, it's 1 1/2 yards) Once you know that, you can count how many times around you go and multiply. So if I wrap 50 times, I've got a 75 yard skein. It's not exact, but it should give you a pretty good idea of how much yarn you've got.

Denneen, if hubby won't give it a go, I'm sure you could do it yourself. All you have to do is cut the PVC (we used 3/4" pipe) which can be done with a hack saw or a pipe cutter ($10-$15, looks like garden shears) and then just jam the pieces together!

I've recruited my dad to make me one (my darling man is a computer geek - great when I break my computer, but dad's the one we see when we need furniture fixed)

He suggested attaching doweling to the board instead of nails, as they are a bit wider in diameter and could also be higher for winding larger skeins. I told him he could make any improvements he wanted if he would make me one!

Archived