Indian summer ripple

manu02148

Ok, so today I found the courage to buy what I need for my very first afghan. It's the one on the cover of the August '08 issue of Crochet World - see http://www.crochet-world.com/content_detail.html?_id=54 .

Is anybody interested? I would be curious of the different color combinations one can come up with; I decided for the same colors in the magazine.

I have that Issue too! I thought that it would look fine in shades of rose or blue. And right before I went to post I thought about neutrals. Like different kinds of beiges and browns. Primary for Kids would be too. Oh, I am rambling... I must be too tired. sorry.

I had considered making it of shades of gray (charcoal-gray-light gray/white type).

I looked for discounted suede yarn all over, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that was that cheap. But that picture really caught my attention and I've been itching to start making it since the very first time a laied my eyes on it :manyheart ... maybe, because of the cost of the material, I'll be even more motivated to finish it :devil

I bet I have all those colors already... bought a bunch of suede last winter it was on clearance, $3.00 dont know how much of a clearance sale that was..

How many skeins does it take, gotta go to the big city today, gonna look for the book.

THanks for the link

it should take 10 skeins (4 of color A + 4 of color B + 2 of color C)

I bet I have all those colors already... bought a bunch of suede last winter it was on clearance, $3.00 dont know how much of a clearance sale that was..

How many skeins does it take, gotta go to the big city today, gonna look for the book.

THanks for the link

I bought about 30 skeins of suede yarn at the dollar store and wondered what I would do with it... now I know...
:yay

I had considered making it of shades of gray (charcoal-gray-light gray/white type).

I looked for discounted suede yarn all over, and unfortunately I couldn't find anything that was that cheap. But that picture really caught my attention and I've been itching to start making it since the very first time a laied my eyes on it :manyheart ... maybe, because of the cost of the material, I'll be even more motivated to finish it :devil

That sounds like it would be pretty.

THanks for the link

it should take 10 skeins (4 of color A + 4 of color B + 2 of color C)

I've used the suede yarn once. Larger hook of K or larger is recommended. It took 1 1/2 skeins to make one shortish scarf, and it is thick and heavy. I would recommend working on the 'ghan in the winter instead of summer.

Summer, this year, around the Boston area, is not all that ... I'm cold several mornings and evenings, that is in August! Very humid during the day though, yuck!

I would recommend working on the 'ghan in the winter instead of summer.

Are you starting a cal for this. I love the colors of the one in the mag, but my son's girlfriend just asked me to make her a hot pink and lime green ghan and I have been trying to figure out a pattern to use. This might be just the one.

Debby

Are you starting a cal for this. I love the colors of the one in the mag, but my son's girlfriend just asked me to make her a hot pink and lime green ghan and I have been trying to figure out a pattern to use. This might be just the one.

Debby

I cant wait to see this - cant put the 2 colors together in my head...

My sdd wants one in sagey green, purple and I figured I would add monet...not sure what pattern to use though.:think

just curious... what is the starting chain and how big is it... I kind of like to know these things before I buy the book... if it's the size I need I'll check on getting the book next week.

Yes, I'd like to start a CAL for this. This is my very first ghan and I think what's the best way if not by knowing somone's else is doing the same (or almost).

By the way, hot pink and lime sounds really kool . What could be the third color? A shade of yellow or a different shade of green? Or maybe even a "less hot" pink?

That sounds like it really would be gorgeous!

Debby

foundation chain is 162 chains

finished size is 37.5X60 inches

I can't wait to start working on it. Unfortunately today I'm at work all day (double shift),and tomorrow I will be working on the rest of the baby shower gifts (plus I have other chores to do). I think it won't be until Tuesday or so ... just can't wait to put my hands on that :yarn!

just curious... what is the starting chain and how big is it... I kind of like to know these things before I buy the book... if it's the size I need I'll check on getting the book next week.

I started this ghan in the hot pink using RH kids. That is the only yarn we could find in the colors she wanted besides simply soft and I told her I would not make it for her in that yarn. Anyway I am using a J hook and did a starting ch of 162. I did about 3 rows and then measured the width and mine was only about 33 inches wide. Frogged the whole thing and started with a ch of 188. Did about 5 rows before I thought to measure it again, and it was just about 36", which still just didn't look wide enough to me, so I frogged the whole thing again and started it again with ch of 208. Because of all the frogging, I am only on the 4th or 5th row, but his is a really, really simple pattern and goes pretty quickly.

manu - I am only using the hot pink and lime green, because that is the colors her room is done in and she doesn't want a third color. Will post a pic when I start on the green.

I have only been able to find the RH kids in HL and they have discontinued the lime green, so I had to go online and order 3 skiens. I sure hope I have enough. LOL

Debby

I'm glad the pattern is simple. I think I'll start tonight - can't wait

I started this ghan in the hot pink using RH kids. That is the only yarn we could find in the colors she wanted besides simply soft and I told her I would not make it for her in that yarn. Anyway I am using a J hook and did a starting ch of 162. I did about 3 rows and then measured the width and mine was only about 33 inches wide. Frogged the whole thing and started with a ch of 188. Did about 5 rows before I thought to measure it again, and it was just about 36", which still just didn't look wide enough to me, so I frogged the whole thing again and started it again with ch of 208. Because of all the frogging, I am only on the 4th or 5th row, but his is a really, really simple pattern and goes pretty quickly.

manu - I am only using the hot pink and lime green, because that is the colors her room is done in and she doesn't want a third color. Will post a pic when I start on the green.

I have only been able to find the RH kids in HL and they have discontinued the lime green, so I had to go online and order 3 skiens. I sure hope I have enough. LOL

Debby

I started the ripple today. The foundation chain gave me much anxiety because I'm always afraid of counting wrong. Then I proceeded with the 1st row and at the end of it I realized something was wrong. I could not figure out what was wrong (I even frogged a segment), until I realized that I chained a greater number of chains (I think I chained 168 instead of 162 ... why I don't know :think). Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to frog it again, but what to do with the extra chains (6 or 8?) that are left at the end of the row? :scrachin

Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to frog it again, but what to do with the extra chains (6 or 8?) that are left at the end of the row? :scrachin

If you didn't pull your slip knot too tight, you can unravel the extra chains from the end.

In the end, while starting row 3 (or 4?) I decided to frog the whole thing, because I had the impression I created one too many ch-2 spaces. Maybe it was because I was tired (obviously now I feel bad about frogging it:bang)

If you didn't pull your slip knot too tight, you can unravel the extra chains from the end.

In the end, while starting row 3 (or 4?) I decided to frog the whole thing, because I had the impression I created one too many ch-2 spaces. Maybe it was because I was tired (obviously now I feel bad about frogging it:bang)

Since you're starting over, I would chain a few extra...you can easily remove them after the first row. Much easier to have too many then too few, I have found out the hard way:blush This is a really pretty ghan, & I love ripples. I have too many other things going on now, crochet and otherwise, or else I'd join you in the CAL. Looking foreward to seeing everyone's progress.:hook

This looks like a Granny Ripple. I just started a baby granny ripple today using blue and a variaged color.. I am not using a third color.

Yes, it is easy to do this is my 4th granny ripple.

can't wait to see other colors being done.

Ok, so I re-chained the foundation chain, counted it 3 gazillion times and still ended up with one extra chain - but now I know it's not a huge problem to fix.

The most important thing is that I understood why I had more 2-ch spaces than I should have and that is the reason I use stitch markers for now (I use too many, but eventually I will eliminate most of them, if not all of them).

And here are a couple of pics of my first 3 rows ... love the colors!:yes

th_0819081902a.jpg th_0819081901a.jpg

That is so pretty. I love the colors. Hint: just double check every once in awhile and make sure you have 4 ch 2 spaces between each point on the ghan. Will save on all those stitch markers. LOL And will anyone who is working on this pattern please tell me if your ghan ends up waaay smaller after you've done a few rows (like between 5 and 10). I have frogged this ghan more times than I care to admit, because I wanted it to fit a twin bed and every time I added more stitches to the beginning ch, I would measure and it was fine. Then I would get a few rows in and it just kept getting smaller and smaller. I do understand why it's doing that, but I just didn't expect it to "shrink" that much. I am getting tired of this ghan already. LOL

Debby

I think this ghan is more like a throw - it doesn't look that big to me either, although the borders might add some width

That is so pretty. I love the colors. Hint: just double check every once in awhile and make sure you have 4 ch 2 spaces between each point on the ghan. Will save on all those stitch markers. LOL And will anyone who is working on this pattern please tell me if your ghan ends up waaay smaller after you've done a few rows (like between 5 and 10). I have frogged this ghan more times than I care to admit, because I wanted it to fit a twin bed and every time I added more stitches to the beginning ch, I would measure and it was fine. Then I would get a few rows in and it just kept getting smaller and smaller. I do understand why it's doing that, but I just didn't expect it to "shrink" that much. I am getting tired of this ghan already. LOL

Debby

Archived