Lil' Pumpkin Hat

mama24boyz

OK, here it finally is. I have to say a big thank you to Brandi from AtMyHouse yahoo group!!!

:ty

Lil' Pumpkin Hat

1891508440_9c604bcf75_o.jpg

Copyright Melanie Blake October 2007

You may use this pattern for whatever you like. you may sell the finished product, but so not claim the pattern as your own or sell it please!

Materials Needed:

Orange Worsted Weight Yarn

Lt. Green Worsted Weight Yarn

Size H Crochet Hook

Tapestry Needle

Sts used: Sc, hdc, sc dec(pull up a st in next 2 sts. Yo and pull through all sts.)

Size : Fits 18 month - 4 year old head. I'll try to get a better measurement soon!

Directions:

UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED, WORK ENTIRE PIECE IN BLO

With orange, ch 25

Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 7 ch. Hdc in next 8 ch. Sc in last 8 ch. Ch 1, turn. (24 sts)

Row 2: Sc in first 8 sc. Hdc in next 8 hdc, sc in next 4 sc. Leave remaning sts unworked. Ch 1, turn. (20 sts)

Row 3: Sc in first 4 sc. Hdc in next 8 hdc. Sc in last 8 sc. Ch 1, turn. (20 sts)

Row 4: Sc in first 8 sc. Hdc in next 8 hdc. Sc in next 4 sc and in the 4 unworked sc from previous row. Ch 1, turn. (24 sc)

Row 5: Sc in each st across. Ch 1, turn (24 sts)

Rows 6 – 60: Rep Rows 2-5.

Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing. Sew ends together. You will have a small opening at the top and a large opening at the bottom.

STEM

Attach lt green with sl st in any st at top.

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc dec around.. Join with sl st to first sc dec. (16 sc)

Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc dec around. Join with sl st to first sc dec. (8 sc)

Rnd 3 – 7: Ch 1, sc around. Join with sl st to first sc. (8 sc)

Rnd 8: Ch 1, sc dec around. Join with sl st to first sc dec. (4 sc)

Rnd 9: Ch 1, *sk next sc, sl st in next sc.* Rep from * - *. Join with sl st to first sl st.

Fasten off.

BRIM

Attach lt green to bottom of hat with sl st in any st.

Rnd 1: Ch 1, sc around entire hat in ends of each row. Join with sl st to first sc. (60 sc)

Rnd 2: Ch 1, *sc in first sc. Sk next sc. (Dc, ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, dc) in next sc. Sk next sc.* Rep from * - * across.

Fasten off.

LEAVES AND TENDRILS

With lt green, ch 6. Sc in 2nd ch from hook. *(dc, ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, dc)* in next ch, sc in next ch. Rep from * - *. In last ch work (2hdc, ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, 2hdc). *Ch 25, sc in BLO of 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch across.* Sc in each foundation ch of beg ch 6. Rep from * - *. Join with sl st to first sc.

Fasten off, leaving a long end for sewing. Sew to stem of hat. To twist tendrils, wrap around finger and gently remove finger.

I would LOVE :manyheart to see anyones finished hat!

More free patterns are available on my blog.

• 4 weeks later...

iT WAS BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION EARLIER THAT i HADN'T PUT IN A SIZE AND i MEANT TO FIX THAT, BUT, OOOPS, SORRY. iT FIT PERFECT ON MY 18 MONTH OLD LAST YEAR, BUT BECAUSE IT IS SO STRETCHY, IT ALSO FIT GREAT ON MY 3 YOS. i DON'T HAVE A GAUGE SWATCH AND DON'T HAVE THE HAT, BUT i HAVE BEEN MEANING TO MAKE UP ANOTHER ONE FOR SOMEONE, SO WHEN i DO THAT i CAN TRY TO DO A GAUGE SWATCH, BUT i HAVE NEVER MEASURED GAUGE BEFORE, SO I HOPE i DO IT RIGHT.

bUT i AM PRETTY SURE THAT IF YOU JUST USE A SMALLER HOOK, YOU COULD EASILY MAKE THE HAT IN A SMALLER SIZE. iTS VERY....ELASTICY? (tHATS NOT i WORD, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT i MEAN)

Oooops, just noticed Caps lock, sorry I wasn't yelling. lol

I hope you try it out and Post pics. And let me know if I can be of any more help.

Cute pattern!! I'll have to try that sometime (when I get some orange yarn).

I wonder if you could use red and crochet a leaf instead of a spirally thing and make an apple hat.

Thanks for the cute pattern!!!

Julee

OK guys, I'm so sorry and I vow to always use pattern testers from this moment!!!;)

After a few questions, I've tried to make my hat again following the pattern and noticed a big mistake. I've fixed it in the pattern now and will continue making it to make sure it all goes smoothly and let you all know. I'm so sorry to any of you who have already printed it out and tried, getting frustrated!! :embar

I hope you can try again and come out with good results and post pics!! Sorry, sorry, sorry!!!!

• 5 months later...

Archived